Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing in SF
sf-montessori 04:16 PM 07-04-2015
Hello. I've finally made the leap to quit my job and open an in-home daycare for infants. I'm in San Francisco where the rents are crazy expensive ($4500+ for a two bedroom!). Are any of you operating an in-home family child care in San Francisco? If so how long did it take to get your license? I can't afford to rent a $4k place and not be able to take in children for months on end. For those of you who did wait for months, what were your strategies for making rent? I'm thinking of parent-child education sessions.

Thanks in advance!
Michael 12:32 AM 07-05-2015
Welcome to the forum. We have a few providers here from the Bay Area. The forum has more action on the week days.
BrooklynM 10:36 PM 07-06-2015
Hello! I'm in the East bay. A lot of my DCPs work in SF, but live out here. Personally I wouldn't live in SF and run a daycare because it's way too hard to find the right place to allow drop offs, pick ups, parking nightmares, etc. I'm sure it's done but it would be rough. Have you considered living outside the city? I love being so close yet so far. It's just a Bart ride in for me
daycare 03:03 PM 07-07-2015
also in Bay area. I personally don't know your neighbor hood set up or what rates go for in that area, but I would imagine that it would make up for it.

I live in south bay and my rent is about 4000. But I also charge a higher rate than probably other areas, and it all works out. I make a decent amount of money, enough to be happy with.

are you married? do you have kids? what is your set up like?
sf-montessori 08:19 PM 07-12-2015
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Hello! I'm in the East bay. A lot of my DCPs work in SF, but live out here. Personally I wouldn't live in SF and run a daycare because it's way too hard to find the right place to allow drop offs, pick ups, parking nightmares, etc. I'm sure it's done but it would be rough. Have you considered living outside the city? I love being so close yet so far. It's just a Bart ride in for me
Thanks for your reply BrooklynM. I apologize for the late reply. It's been a super busy time at school with the babies.

I am considering East Bay for my daycare, but would prefer to be in SF at this stage. I'm new to California and I guess I just want a taste of the city life. Also, I know some families who would be in interested in my services. I'm always worried that it'll be a challenge getting clients in time.

Do you remember how long it took for licensing to come and inspect you when you first started?
sf-montessori 08:23 PM 07-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
also in Bay area. I personally don't know your neighbor hood set up or what rates go for in that area, but I would imagine that it would make up for it.

I live in south bay and my rent is about 4000. But I also charge a higher rate than probably other areas, and it all works out. I make a decent amount of money, enough to be happy with.

are you married? do you have kids? what is your set up like?
Hi, daycare! Thank you for your reply. I'm single w/o kids. I am currently living deep in East Bay, but work in SF. I found two suitable places in SF - one in Mission Bay and the other in Hayes Valley. My setup will be completely Montessori as I am Montessori trained.

Do you happen to remember how long it took for licensing to come to your place for inspection? What did you do to make ends meet before you got your license? Thanks in advance!
Reply Up