Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2.5 Yr Old and Free Play
jokalima 12:00 PM 01-11-2013
I have 3- 2.5 year olds and during free play 2 of them find what to do and just go on playing, but one of them does not know what to do, he gets a toy that can fit in his hands and holds it and starts walking in the room talking or singing and basically that's what he does during free play. Then he gets in to trouble because he constantly bumps in to someone or interrupts another child's play. He is very smart, when guided he can wow you. I am just wondering what can I do to help? Free play is an important part of my day, I clean up and serve lunch during this time, there is no way around it, I have to give them free play.
daycare 02:05 PM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by jokalima:
I have 3- 2.5 year olds and during free play 2 of them find what to do and just go on playing, but one of them does not know what to do, he gets a toy that can fit in his hands and holds it and starts walking in the room talking or singing and basically that's what he does during free play. Then he gets in to trouble because he constantly bumps in to someone or interrupts another child's play. He is very smart, when guided he can wow you. I am just wondering what can I do to help? Free play is an important part of my day, I clean up and serve lunch during this time, there is no way around it, I have to give them free play.
can you try to engage him in an activity that you can watch him do from where you are in the house.

I have one that won't stop touching the others. so during this time he has to sit at the coloring table in my kitchen while I prep lunch. There was nothing that was working so this was what it came to.......
ashleyh 02:37 PM 01-11-2013
I would give him ideas on what he could do...play with this toy, go look at this book, etc until he gets used to choosing things on his own. If that doesn't work than maybe a specific activity like puzzles or coloring?
CozyHome 10:23 PM 01-11-2013
We need a minute here and there to go pee. We have to prepare the meals and clean up after the meals. In my case I have to set up and put away the playpens daily because they are in my living room and dining room.

Anyway, all children play and soothe differently. I would set up your little one with the toys that make him feel most comfortable, blocks or dolls or kitchen or cars and garage, etc. before leaving the room to do my chores.
cheerfuldom 08:45 AM 01-12-2013
I have a 3.5 year old that does not do free play well either. she is perfect at anything directed but give her freedom and she starts wandering in circles, spinning or running, making silly noises. I have to give her a specific activity even during free play because that is all she can handle.
Reply Up