Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training...DCM says undies...I say NO!
Unregistered 01:40 PM 06-08-2015
I have a DCG enrolled who recently turned 2. She is working on potty training, and usually goes if I take her and sit her on the potty. For the most part, she stays dry, and mom wants to try underwear, but I refuse to start that quite yet. My policy states that child must be accident free for 2 weeks, communicate they need to use the restroom, and wear clothing conducive to potty training (No overalls, one pieces, or onsies...to build child's confidence when they can do it themselves.) She had not had a consistent 2 weeks accident free, has never told me she needs to use the restroom (only goes when I take her), and still comes in onsies. Mom wants to just cold turkey into underwear, and I say she isn't ready. I do have a large in home program, and when my attention is on another child, she just wets her diaper and does not inform me that it is soiled. I have a carpeted play area, with soft fabric seating and toys...so not super easy to just clean. The way this mom has always been with me...I am full expecting her to just put her in underwear one day...and trying to figure out how to handle it.
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a DCG enrolled who recently turned 2. She is working on potty training, and usually goes if I take her and sit her on the potty. For the most part, she stays dry, and mom wants to try underwear, but I refuse to start that quite yet. My policy states that child must be accident free for 2 weeks, communicate they need to use the restroom, and wear clothing conducive to potty training (No overalls, one pieces, or onsies...to build child's confidence when they can do it themselves.) She had not had a consistent 2 weeks accident free, has never told me she needs to use the restroom (only goes when I take her), and still comes in onsies. Mom wants to just cold turkey into underwear, and I say she isn't ready. I do have a large in home program, and when my attention is on another child, she just wets her diaper and does not inform me that it is soiled. I have a carpeted play area, with soft fabric seating and toys...so not super easy to just clean. The way this mom has always been with me...I am full expecting her to just put her in underwear one day...and trying to figure out how to handle it.
Support mom in her efforts.

"DCM I think it's fantastic you want to go cold turkey!! Sometimes it truly IS the best method for kids that are ready to be in underwear. However, cold turkey can't happen here (in your daycare). It must happen at home on YOUR watch and on YOUR carpets and YOUR time.

Sanitary rules do not allow a child that does not indicate they need to use the toilet on their own to be in underwear at daycare. Reminding her to go to the bathroom or taking her at timed intervals does not allow me to provide constant supervision to the other kids in care. I'm sure you understand."

rosieteddy 07:02 AM 06-09-2015
ABSOLUTELY NOT I always told parents I decided when the child was ready to wear underwear.I insisted on pullups for up to one month and only let them come in cloth when totally potty trained. Stick to your policy/
laundrymom 09:13 AM 06-09-2015
I would say something similar to other posters except I would allow the cloth at day care after she goes to weeks at home without an accident. Have mom let you know when she independently goes to the bathroom and when that happens she's ready for underwear at your house provided she brings pull-ups to wear over the panties
This way mom is happy because she's in underwear girls happy because she's in underwear and you're happy because your house doesn't get soiled and maybe if mom has enhanced her potty understanding actions at home ( read this as mom is potty trained. Girl is not. ) she will get tired of sending underwear and pull-ups every day and just use diapers until girl is ready. But who knows. Maybe girl will surprise everyone?
Unregistered 09:53 AM 06-09-2015
She needs to actually be potty trained to wear underwear. Going on the potty when someone puts her there is not potty trained, so I would not do undies till she can independently use the toilet by herself.
bklsmum 11:51 AM 06-09-2015
Your house, your rules! And if she sends her in underwear one day give her one warning that it is not ok and stick to it!
AmyLeigh 02:53 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The bolded is exactly what happened to me this morning, except without any warning at all. I couldn't believe that dcm would bring this child in underwear. She said it was because child peed in the potty first thing this morning. Nope. Not happening here. Child is not ready to potty train just yet. After drop off I promptly put the child in a diaper. If the parent complains about the cost of diapers, I just remind them that professional upholstery and carpet cleaning costs a lot more.
kendallina 06:54 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Support mom in her efforts.

"DCM I think it's fantastic you want to go cold turkey!! Sometimes it truly IS the best method for kids that are ready to be in underwear. However, cold turkey can't happen here (in your daycare). It must happen at home on YOUR watch and on YOUR carpets and YOUR time.

Sanitary rules do not allow a child that does not indicate they need to use the toilet on their own to be in underwear at daycare. Reminding her to go to the bathroom or taking her at timed intervals does not allow me to provide constant supervision to the other kids in care. I'm sure you understand."
Exactly!
grateday 05:43 PM 06-17-2015
I have children who are sensitive to other children and noise. Home is quieter because there are less kids. Child does better at home where there are less distractions. When child is in my care while trying to potty train it is not as often the child goes to the potty because a lot is going on and most of the childs senses are on what is going on with everyone around them. On days when less children are here, child does better here, but it is not often that I have that opportunity. It is sad but a reality of doing daycare. Other kids are fine with the other children and potty just fine over here without a large adjustment period. Part time kids are the longest for potty training at daycare.
The mom I had said to me the other day, "I don't know how on top of it you are"

I thought that was so rude and strange. I can't make there child pee, and there child's has a strong tempermental trait, so if I even suggest and the timing is not right, I get a strong "no". So anyway, that mom can keep supplying the supplies, find a nanny, change there child's temperment, or listen and trust me when i say I do try.
Tags:potty trained - not, potty training
Reply Up