Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbor and Sibling Clients
childcaremom 08:21 AM 09-18-2015
I had a sort-of neighbour (I can see into her backyard - she is 3 houses down) contact me about childcare today for her 2 children.

I have read many horror stories on here about dealing with neighbours but am hoping to hear from providers that have navigated these relationships successfully.

I do not know this woman presently. I have never spoken to her. She is out with her children for much of the same time that I am out with my group (but are yards are not adjoining at all and while I can 'see' them, I can't really if that makes sense. A garage is in the way as are many bushes.) So I don't really know anything about her other than her kids play outside a lot which is perfect for my group.

She has 3 children. One of which wouldn't be coming as he is school aged. So just the younger two.

Thoughts? Advice?

I am leery of doing a sibling set again (had to terminate one a few months ago and it was hard to fill two spots) but the children would be a tad bit older upon enrollment than I am used to starting them at so would like that aspect.
NoMoreJuice! 09:02 AM 09-18-2015
The only neighbor I've ever interviewed was sneaky enough to scope out my place and then open an illegal daycare a few weeks later, lol.

But if your neighbor kids sound like they'd fit in well, and you treat the relationship as businesslike as any other, I don't see a problem. I know what you mean about siblings...it's a pain to have to replace double the kids when there's a problem parent. Hopefully you don't have any problems and it turns out to be a great fit. Good luck!
Ariana 09:46 AM 09-18-2015
I took care of my neighbors two kids for 3.5 years. She was directly across from me but we barely knew each other except for an occasional conversation at the park. Everything was fine! She was like any other client really. She had her good and bad points and I never made any attempt to become her friend. We went to their neighbor open house for Christmas and we helped her move during her divorce as "neighbors"....other neighbors were helping as well but that was the extent of our relationship. She dumped all of her problems on me and I just smiled and nodded.

I think the best advice I can give, which goes for any client really, is to just keep it as professional as possible. Don't get involved in her business or get too chummy.
littletots 10:24 AM 09-18-2015
I've heard same warning about not taking neighbors . wish you best. I bet it'll work out.
hope 10:27 AM 09-18-2015
I don't even like discussing a potential spot with neighbors anymore. I watched one that was noy a good fit and became awkward when I yold them so. Then a classmates mom of my DD asked me about care for her infant. I sent her my handbook and rates and she hasn't talked to me ever since???? That was 2 years ago and we see eachother at all the school functions. Maybe she wanted discounted care.
If you never run into them as it is then why not give it a shot? You said you are neighbors but it doesn't seem like you cross paths at all.
e.j. 11:46 AM 09-18-2015
I've had neighbors as clients and some have worked out well; others not so much. A lot has to do with personality and how well we mesh. One neighbor didn't work out because, among other issues, she wanted me to keep her child up at nap time. The child was so tired, she would fall asleep at my kitchen table. After a few days of trying, I explained that it wasn't working out and that even if I wanted to, I couldn't keep her dd from napping. Dcm was upset that I said I couldn't allow her to go without a nap and ended care. It would have been fine but dcm remained angry which made running into her at school functions a little awkward. Another family had an older dd who was a friend of my own dd. I watched their youngest on a drop in basis until they asked to go full time. They had a habit of picking up late and wanted to "trade" services vs. pay tuition so I tactfully let them know I didn't want to take them full time. That didn't go over well, either. My dd lost a friend and again, school functions became awkward until both girls left for different high schools. Both of those families lived across from one another and anytime I had to drive past and either family was outside, I was treated to the stink-eye.

The other two neighbors, however, were wonderful to deal with. They each had 2 kids so I had both families enrolled in my day care for years with no trouble. It really does depend on the personalities and how well they mesh with you.
Tags:clients - neighbor, siblings
Reply Up