Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Other Siblings Not Enrolled
daycare 01:44 PM 04-05-2011
I know someone talked about this before, but I can't find the post.

I have a few dcf with other siblings that are not enrolled. When they come to pick up, they bring their children into the house. Most of them are babies, as I don't offer care to children under 2.

Lately, the parents have been bringing the kids in and allowing them to get into my stuff or showing them off to the other kids.

This puts me in a really bad position.

1. it puts me over my limit of kids that I can have
2. it puts me in a position that should something happen to the sibling by the other children, I am at fault. Or any kind of accident...slip/fall etc.

I would like to write something in my PHB that prevents this from happening. I can't recall who said they already had a statement written in their PHB. can someone help on this.

How should this be written into the PHB?
DBug 02:00 PM 04-05-2011
But if the parent is there with the younger sibling, aren't they still under the parent's care and not under yours? I have the same scenario quite often, but never figured the siblings into my ratios because I assumed they wouldn't count since the mom is still there, and the sibs haven't been signed into my care, kwim?

Now if the sibling got hurt or hurt one of my dc kids, I guess that might be a different matter ...
melissa ann 02:05 PM 04-05-2011
I never thought of that. G-pa has his adopted g-son with him when he picks up his daughter's 2 kids and sometimes my other p.t girl is there, that makes 4 kids. I just figured, he's just picking up the kids and that it doesn't matter.
daycare 02:05 PM 04-05-2011
I just got off the phone with licensing, I live in CA. she said that the kids will account towards my capacity. She said how are they to know if the mom is picking them up or dropping them off and how many kids. A parents words do not get you out of it with licensing. She would not give me words to use or tell me anything other than you should not allow for them to be on your property and that they keep you from caring from the other children.

I asked her how do I handel those families that have infants? They cant stay in the car it's illegal. I require that the child be signed in and out daily and that the parent comes to retrive them from the house. I will not send a kid out to their parents car... Again she said you have to figure out how to handle that. She said that i should have the parents expidite their drop off and pick up. This is all she would say... she was no help, so I am turning to all of you....lol
daycare 03:33 PM 04-05-2011
I think it might have been Nannyde who posted this? Am i wrong??
JenNJ 03:36 PM 04-05-2011
I would have the parent meet you at the door and send their child out so they never come in. It is the only way it will work.
daycare 03:54 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would have the parent meet you at the door and send their child out so they never come in. It is the only way it will work.
yeah this is what I am thinking. The only issue is that I require sign in and sign out. So the parents have to come in to pick up their child.
SandeeAR 04:00 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
yeah this is what I am thinking. The only issue is that I require sign in and sign out. So the parents have to come in to pick up their child.
Put the sheet on a clip board, like I do. I take the clip board into the back yard when we go outside, and have the parents come around the side yard to get the kids. They sign them out right there.
daycare 04:04 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Put the sheet on a clip board, like I do. I take the clip board into the back yard when we go outside, and have the parents come around the side yard to get the kids. They sign them out right there.
But they would still be on the DC site and accounted for against my capacity.....
not to mention they would have to go through my side gate that is not meant to be walked through, or they would have to go through my entire house to get to my backyard.

Maybe I should put the signout log on a clip board and just hand it to them at the front door.
countrymom 04:51 PM 04-05-2011
I'm sorry but that is the most stupidist rule ever. Seriously, what is a parent then suppose to do.
nannyde 04:58 PM 04-05-2011
Any kids onsite will count in my numbers. I think the State's POV is that they have inspected homes where there are two or more adults with their own kids and NOT counting their kids in the numbers. If the State comes to inspect they just take their kids and leave as if they are just coming or going.

This trick has been pulled on them so many times that they have to have a solid clear way to count kids.

I don't allow my sons friends on the property when I'm doing day care. I definitely wouldn't allow parents to bring siblings in past the front door. My general rule is to not have parents parenting their kids under my roof. They don't have the same rules for their kids that I have here and they don't have the responsibility I have to keep them safe.

I've had a few bad experiences having parents onsite who have completely different rules for their child than I have.

This is one I have told before:

I had this one Dad years ago who was a really nice guy and had a WILD toddler. They were with me for about a year. Every day he would drop off or pick up the kid would be flailing in his arms and he would let her down in my living room at the front door. My living room is NOT child proofed for a reason. There is nothing in my livingroom for the kids. I have a couch, two tables and a TV. That's it. Other than outlet covers there is no sign of day care in my living room.

So as soon as he puts her down I pick her back up and hand her back. I tell him... oh no this room is not safety proofed. She can't be down on the floor here. He would say "oh she's allright". NO .. I'm not alright with it. I don't want kids in my living room. There are no toys... nothing but the tv to get into, the couch to crawl up on, and the table to crawl up on.

One day he locked his keys in his car and I got stuck with him and the kid while he waited for the Mom to come with the spare set. I was off the clock at that time but I offered for him to use one of my empty playrooms as long as he kept her on the side of the room that she was allowed on. I show him exactly the line that she can't cross. "this side is for her... this side is NO". The side he did have for her was TWO HUNDRED square foot. He takes her back there and within ten seconds she was on the side of the room that was for the adults. UGH... again he says she's fine, he's watching her, she's okay.

NO she's not fine. She's in an area I don't ever let her play in. She's trained not to go into that area and it's NOT SAFE. I have baby equipment on that side that was just cleaned for the next day and paperwork set up for the next day. The kid could cause me an hour with of work in a few minutes.

I booted them out and told him to take her to the park around the corner. I gave him a fresh diaper, wipes, and a cup of juice and out the door they went.

The Dad didn't have ANY problem allowing her to play with and on top of an exersaucer designed for infants. He didn't have any problem with her playing with the infant toys which I don't allow here. He didn't have any problem with her climbing on the gate. He was cool with it.. but I was not.
momatheart 04:59 PM 04-05-2011
I would tell the parents Since I am not liscenced for children under the age of 2 all siblings under the age of 2 must be kept in your arms during during pick up or drop off. Maybe that would work.
daycare 07:16 PM 04-05-2011
I also find this to be a crazy rule. I know that licensing has no way of really knowing if the children are in my care, but I think that this is just pushing it too far. I am going to call my acutal social worker tomorrow and ask her about this. Today when I called about it, I spoke to a duty officer of the day. It seemed like this lady was having a bad day and was in no way helpful at all.

They really don't leave very many options here and I am not too sure what to do right now regarding this issue.

The whole reason that it came up was becuase one of my DCK has a baby sibling that came with mom to pick him up. All of the other DCK ran out of the back room and started touching her and rubbing her head. I asked everyone to go back to the DC room where they belonged, but before I could stop it from happening, one of the DCK pulled the babies arm and made her cry. The mom was a little mad about it. I asked her that when she comes not to let the baby get down anymore and that i will also make sure that the kids stay in the DC room. I can see them from both places so there is no reason for them to come out to the door. I also made the child say sorry to the mom and baby...

I then got to thinking hmm now that the baby sibling is here I am over my capacity. And the sibling is not covered under my insurance should something happen to her......
Meeko 05:35 AM 04-06-2011
Utah licensing is not quite so anal.....!!! If a mom is obviously dropping off a sibling, the licensor will watch her leave with the extra kid in tow. If she's picking up, the licensor will ask her just that and help me usher her out the door.

My own children are grown up, but when they were younger, I asked about them having friends over to play. It seemed unfair to tell my own kids that during the summer, they could never have friends over. Utah now has a rule which seems to work. Non- day care kids from the neighborhood can come over to play (age 3 and above), but if licensing shows up, those children must be close enough to home to be sent out the door and walk home....immediately. Any reluctance to send a child out the door on it's own told licensing we were probably tending kids over numbers.
Tags:siblings
Reply Up