Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Small Vent But These Calls Drive Me Crazy....
wahmof3 07:40 AM 08-23-2012
I hate calls for child care when the DCP has no idea what hours they will need care.............

Well I have no idea if I can help you then.

DCP is thinking she is getting a job & she will know soon but couldn't give me any idea what her hours will be.

Isn't that something you have somewhat of an idea of??

Sorry for the vent- I feel better now LOL
Crazy8 08:39 AM 08-23-2012
ahhh yes, I just got a call about a SAHM who "might go back to work" and wants to know my rates. On one hand I understand you need to decide if you can afford child care but on the other hand I can't give you a rate unless I know what kind of hours you need and you have NO CLUE if you need 3 days a week or 5 days a week - big difference there!!!
Heidi 08:46 AM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
ahhh yes, I just got a call about a SAHM who "might go back to work" and wants to know my rates. On one hand I understand you need to decide if you can afford child care but on the other hand I can't give you a rate unless I know what kind of hours you need and you have NO CLUE if you need 3 days a week or 5 days a week - big difference there!!!
Some of those are probably legitamate, other's are probably SAHM thinking about getting into daycare...rate shopping

I usually say something like "well, it depends on the hours of care you need. My rates range from $110.00 to $130.00 per week for full-time, but there are a lot of factors involved"

The ones I hate are when mom calls, saying she works at am, can I accomidate that? No...I open at 7. Oh...well, then Dad can bring them.

Really, your children's father could step up to plate if I can't? GREAT!
cheerfuldom 09:03 AM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Some of those are probably legitamate, other's are probably SAHM thinking about getting into daycare...rate shopping

I usually say something like "well, it depends on the hours of care you need. My rates range from $110.00 to $130.00 per week for full-time, but there are a lot of factors involved"

The ones I hate are when mom calls, saying she works at am, can I accomidate that? No...I open at 7. Oh...well, then Dad can bring them.

Really, your children's father could step up to plate if I can't? GREAT!:rolleyes:
yeah those are my favorite. when you have to say no several times and then all of a sudden, "well, we can still work with that" when previously it was a deal breaker.
daycarediva 09:24 AM 08-23-2012
hahahaha @ your children's father could step up to the plate if I can't! PRICELESS!

I didn't know until I signed one dcf that dcm needs to work at 7 and dcd doesn't go in until 3pm. Kids are here at 6 AM! I JUST figured this out. Mom works 5 minutes from my house and 'goes to have coffee with her coworkers before work' every morning! Don't you love it when the kids can talk???! I am going to bring up the situation, with an 'hours change' ASAP. Im prepared to lose the family because dcd is not at all in a parent role in that house and will NOT be bringing them in (I have seen him 3x in 2+ years)
BumbleBee 09:47 AM 08-23-2012
Yep, I've gotten a few of these so far. I tell them my rates are based on the number of hours they need. If they push me for a rate I give them my highest rate.
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 08-23-2012
I got an email from someone yesterday asking my full time, part time and half day rates. I checked out her email and dead giveaway it was a daycare.... DUH!
DCMama 06:07 PM 08-23-2012
I do not appreciate dcprovider fake the calls to shop around at all. This is so lame!!! I have a taste of that before and it was soo sour.
Nickel 09:25 PM 08-23-2012
I've gotten like 3 calls like that.
Them: Do you take part time?
Me: What days/hours do you need.
Them: I'm not sure yet
Me: I'm okay.
Them: Do you take children this age?
Me: Yes
Them: okay, well I should know more about my schedule in a week or two. i'll give you a call back.
Me: Okay, thanks for contacting me

I mean, really? stop wasting my time! Wow!!!
DaisyMamma 06:14 AM 08-24-2012
I've had parents not disclose that they don't have a job until the end of the interview. "Ok, I will let you know if I get the job." Me: ...gee thanks for wasting my time....
wahmof3 07:25 AM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I've had parents not disclose that they don't have a job until the end of the interview. "Ok, I will let you know if I get the job." Me: ...gee thanks for wasting my time....
Oh my gosh!!!! I would've been FUMING!!!!!!!
itlw8 08:00 AM 08-24-2012
It is a big circle... They have to have childcare arranged to take the job... but they need the job to take the childcare.. Oh well call me when you know.

or the infant calls. Do you take infants? Well yes but my next opening is not until March. Well the baby is due in May. ok.. Call me back in April and see if I have an opening. May I put you on the waiting list for now ?
familyschoolcare 07:50 PM 08-24-2012
Had a interview like this yesterday.

When I set the interview up the mom said child whent to ABC private school ect. Then when she got here she did not know what school her child was going to attend or how many day she would need ect. So after three rounds of if this then this if this then that ect. I ended the interview and told her I fill my slots on a first come first bases so when you figure out what you need call me and I will tell you if I can still meet your needs. She resonds with I should know by tuesday by might not know untill Friday. There was other things that she said that leads me to believe that she will always be a flaky parent. Also, she said several times that she thought this would work great because her daughter and mine could be great friends. so when and if she calls back I will not be able to meet her needs.

seriously, If she would have told me that she did not know hwat she needed and but thought that it might be this or that I would have told her what I could and could not do.
providerandmomof4 04:40 PM 08-25-2012
I know that people aren't trying to waste my time but....they ARE! I had one the other day...told dcm that I didn't do second shift, then during interview she asks if I could possibly do two weeknights until 8pm? No....I told you that I close at 5:30...Her: Oh, okay...well sounds really good, I'll let you know. Had to call her back and tell her I had filled my under 18mth spot, which I advised her might happen- first sign first serve- and she got an attitude. Asked her if she would like to be put on the waiting list and she rudely says..NO! So many that are looking for jobs and want to line up daycare...UGH! Let me know when you get a job especially if your on state child care subsidy. I try to explain that I cannot provide care while the subsidy is processing, (this can take up to 30 days) I have to be paid in advance. When I was just starting out I had a dcm that told me she would have funds for cc the following week..almost a month later, I finally got paid. Learned the hard way on that one!
Reply Up