Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flu!
MissAnn 04:05 AM 01-15-2014
How long do you exclude? CDC says flu can be contagious up to 5-7 days from when the illness began. DCM wanted to bring DCD back today after 4 days of flu and 99.2 temp yesterday. I asked that she keep her home another day and call her doctor to ask him when she is no longer contageous. She had a flu shot and a light case. WWYD?
CraftyMama 04:59 AM 01-15-2014
I too am wondering what exactly the proper protocol on this would be. I have 2 little girls, siblings; that were diagnosed with H1N1. After much search, I am unlucky on finding info as to what the exclusion on this should be. Advice? Info? Thanks ladies!
craftymissbeth 05:04 AM 01-15-2014
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/exclusion.htm

I didn't read all of the way through it, but it looks like its 24 hours after symptom free and is no longer 7 days.
momiofoz 05:40 AM 01-15-2014
the link is going on 5 years old but In paragraph 2 it talks about daycares having more strict guidelines and paragraph 5 it says that people can shed the flu virus for up to 10 days. Especially younger kids because they do not cover their mouths when coughing. I have a policy of staying out for ATLEAST 5 days when you have been diagnosed with the flu.
MissAnn 05:59 AM 01-15-2014
I know 99.2 isn't really considered a fever....but if it's the day after having a fever with the flu, would you call that fever free?
craftymissbeth 06:24 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by momiofoz:
the link is going on 5 years old but In paragraph 2 it talks about daycares having more strict guidelines and paragraph 5 it says that people can shed the flu virus for up to 10 days. Especially younger kids because they do not cover their mouths when coughing. I have a policy of staying out for ATLEAST 5 days when you have been diagnosed with the flu.
At the top it says fever free for 24 hours for groups that are not at risk. Children under 5 are an at-risk group so it then goes on to say symptom free for 24 hours. It also basically says be as strict as you want.

I don't have anything in my symptom policy that specifically outlines flu exclusion, so I'm curious about what others do. Right now I don't exclude for specific illnesses, but for the symptoms instead.
craftymissbeth 06:25 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I know 99.2 isn't really considered a fever....but if it's the day after having a fever with the flu, would you call that fever free?
If they've had a fever within the last 24 hours, yes, I would exclude.
Annalee 08:55 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
How long do you exclude? CDC says flu can be contagious up to 5-7 days from when the illness began. DCM wanted to bring DCD back today after 4 days of flu and 99.2 temp yesterday. I asked that she keep her home another day and call her doctor to ask him when she is no longer contageous. She had a flu shot and a light case. WWYD?
I don't allow children with any temp at all and they have to stay home and be fever free for 24 hours.
Laurel 09:27 AM 01-15-2014
I would probably ask for a doctor's note saying it is okay for child to return to daycare.

Laurel
Blackcat31 09:30 AM 01-15-2014
Here is the parent handout we have:

http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...mbo-2-4-10.pdf

It does a good job of explaining exclusion and treatment
Kabob 03:51 PM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the parent handout we have:

http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...mbo-2-4-10.pdf

It does a good job of explaining exclusion and treatment
Those are awesome handouts!

The flu has hit here...one dcg has been out for 2 days and got put on that expensive antiviral medication for the flu.

Of course, I started with a sore throat and fever tonight....so I guess I should exclude myself?
TwinKristi 04:20 PM 01-15-2014
If no fever today or less than 100* I wouldn't exclude. It's 24hr symptom free so that's about right. But it you're sick now that changes it all!!
Tags:fever - policy, flu
Reply Up