Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those With Big Dogs...
WImom 12:23 PM 06-14-2012
I've been wanting an English Mastiff for awhile now and my kids and I have finally talked hubby into getting one. We have a beagle/Basset mix right now.

Has having a large dog hurt your business at all?

Right now my dog is allowed to roam the house and does come in the daycare space usually at pick up/drop off to get attention from the daycare parents. My daycare is seperated by a door off the main entry (daycare is my dinning/formal livingroom).

Any tips on a puppy and daycare - am I crazy???
Lilbutterflie 12:31 PM 06-14-2012
I have a 100lb dog, and he is allowed in the daycare space. My daycare parents and kids LOVE him and he has never been an issue at all.

However, he is the most well behaved, calm, gentle dog I have ever known. I would have to separate him if he was rowdy or liked to jump, etc... Big dogs CAN knock children over and hurt them without even meaning to. That coupled with any other behavior issues a dog may have, like jumping, playing too rough, not listening well; that won't work in a daycare environment with a big dog.

If you are thinking of a puppy, that is a whole other added stress!! We got a puppy almost a year ago and I cannot even begin to tell you how much work it was to keep up with her AND the daycare AND keeping everybody safe, happy and healthy. The puppy needed out every hour, she yelped if she wasn't in the same room with me (yes, she was crate trained), and she did lots of puppy things like biting, chewing up toys, pee and poo accidents everywhere. Whew, it was a whole lot of work.
KBCsMommy 12:48 PM 06-14-2012
I have an English Mastiff! We got him for our kids for Christmas. He's at that age where he's a pain in my butt!! He's 9 months old so he's still a puppy. He is the second Mastiff we have had.

The good thing is that Mastiff's are extremely smart (but stubborn!). They house train very easily. It only took about 4 weeks to house train our dog. It would have been a shorter amount of time, but between 3 of my own kids and 3 infant dc kids it took a little longer. We also have tile throughout our house so accidents were'nt a huge deal.

He is great around the kids. The worst thing he does is lick them on the face!!
I have him seperated from the dc kids with a baby gate only because he is so big he knocks kids over when he turns around! He mostly sleeps all day and doesn't bother anyone.

All of my clients love him too! But, all of my clients also have dogs themselves. I honestly feel, if a potential family has a problem with your dog, then it wouldn't matter what kind of dog it is, either way it would be an issue to them.

I always tell potential clients that I have a large dog that I keep seperated from the kids. I let them meet my dog, so they can see for themselves. And usually he is sleeping and could care less about them or why they are here!!

Yes you are crazy for getting a Mastiff!! Because Mastiff owners are obviously a little off anyways for wanting a 200 lb dog!!!
cheerfuldom 12:55 PM 06-14-2012
I find dogs to be a big deal breaker to a lot of families in my area, even cats too. No one seems to mind my puggle but anything bigger would hurt my business, just from my point of view. I have parents ask a few questions upon that initial email and it is usually rates, location, pets, number of kids in care.
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 06-14-2012
I have a big dog (225 lbs) but I don't do daycare in my home so it hasn't had an effect on my business.

I did want to comment on the puppy/training aspect of it though. It is SUPER important if you are going to have a large breed dog to have him trained REALLY well from the very beginning. In my case, my dog is two times as large as me so if he really doesn't want to do something I want him to do, he isn't going to do it...kwim? He HAS to be controlable at all times since I cannot physically make him do things like get down or not jump or go where I want him too. He HAS to listen due to his size.

Unfortunately large breed dogs seem to have a mind of their own and aren't your normal "want to please" type of dog. They tend to want to be loved and do not realize how large they really are. (mine thinks he is a poodle )

The BEST thing about a large breed dog is most of them have a gentle, easy going and very calm nature...which helps since their size is a scary for some.
Meeko 01:26 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a big dog (225 lbs) but I don't do daycare in my home so it hasn't had an effect on my business.

I did want to comment on the puppy/training aspect of it though. It is SUPER important if you are going to have a large breed dog to have him trained REALLY well from the very beginning. In my case, my dog is two times as large as me so if he really doesn't want to do something I want him to do, he isn't going to do it...kwim? He HAS to be controlable at all times since I cannot physically make him do things like get down or not jump or go where I want him too. He HAS to listen due to his size.

Unfortunately large breed dogs seem to have a mind of their own and aren't your normal "want to please" type of dog. They tend to want to be loved and do not realize how large they really are. (mine thinks he is a poodle )

The BEST thing about a large breed dog is most of them have a gentle, easy going and very calm nature...which helps since their size is a scary for some.
Would love to see more pics of your boy Blackcat! I am such a sucker for Saints and Newfs. We just lost our Newf ........such a gentle boy....heavens gain. Now we just have our Westie pup...but I know I'm gonna have to have a gentle giant again.......
caligirl 01:59 PM 06-14-2012
I have two yellow labs, both close to 90lbs each....they are the most wonderful pets.....the kids use them as teddy bears......I trained them from 8 weeks old (they will be 6 yrs this summer) and they are just wonderful
saved4always 03:39 PM 06-14-2012
As far as I know, I haven't ever not gotten a family because I have 2 dogs (a beagle and a german sheherd/retriever mix). The 90 lb mixed dog is very good; the beagle is a baying, jumping nut. Both are very gentle but I kept them elsewhere in the house during drop off and pick up especially because they can't help but "greet" everyone. I am very clear that I can keep my dogs away from the kids if they are uncomfortable about dogs, too. I did have one family where the father was very leary of dogs. The dcb loved my dogs but his little sister would cry if she even caught a glimpse of them.
justgettingstarted 05:05 PM 06-14-2012
I have a large dog (about 80 pounds husky/shepherd mix). She is very sweet but also energetic and crazy so she stays outside and when we go out she has a treat in her crate. I have had a couple families seem very uncomfortable with her being here even with her separated at all times. I'm almost certain I lost one potential family because of her. Some of my current families have asked more than once to make sure she stays outside.
Kiki 07:27 PM 06-14-2012
I have a large dog that is allowed free roam of my home. I have only been asked once about her in an interview, and it's only because she's considered an 'aggressive breed'. To that my face is always because she is just the sweetest dog ever. (The owner makes the dog, but that's a whole 'nother thread!)
Honestly, like Blackcat said, as long as you teach it at a young age who the boss is, I don't see it being an issue.
saltmom75 05:12 AM 06-20-2012
The only issue I have with my 65 pound 9 month old puppy is that I don't think she know where she is yet. She turns around and inadvertently knock a toddler down or wags a tail in their face. She's getting better but I kennel her or put her outside when I feel she or the kids need a break. She does love cleanup time though - the time when all the kids are in their chairs but are done eating. I don't sweep up food anymore!
Breezy 06:43 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by saltmom75:
The only issue I have with my 65 pound 9 month old puppy is that I don't think she know where she is yet. She turns around and inadvertently knock a toddler down or wags a tail in their face. She's getting better but I kennel her or put her outside when I feel she or the kids need a break. She does love cleanup time though - the time when all the kids are in their chairs but are done eating. I don't sweep up food anymore!
Ha I thought I was the only one!!!
Willow 07:02 AM 06-20-2012
I would never have a Mastiff in a daycare home, much less one allowed to roam around with the daycare children.

Any enthusiast or breed club can confirm why that's a horrific idea. Typically it's not advised the breed reside in any family with younger children even of their own. There are very good reasons for that.

I would not assume I could ever change a dogs inherent breed tendencies.

No one should.
Kiki 07:44 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
I would never have a Mastiff in a daycare home, much less one allowed to roam around with the daycare children.

Any enthusiast or breed club can confirm why that's a horrific idea. Typically it's not advised the breed reside in any family with younger children even of their own. There are very good reasons for that.

I would not assume I could ever change a dogs inherent breed tendencies.

No one should.
This peeked my interest in Mastiffs. I've never really looked into the breed before, and I'm curious as of to what you mean by this post? I can't find any information about it being a 'horrific idea' to have one with small children.

As far as the 'inherent breed tendencies' go, I've never been a believer in them, so meh.
A good chunk of folks you meet will tell you that Pit Bulls are horrible rotten dogs to be around, but I was raised around them, and have found them to be nothing but sweet, beautiful dogs. So no, I don't believe that dogs are the way they are and that's it.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, so please don't take it like that, I just wanted to state that.
Willow 08:14 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
This peeked my interest in Mastiffs. I've never really looked into the breed before, and I'm curious as of to what you mean by this post? I can't find any information about it being a 'horrific idea' to have one with small children.

As far as the 'inherent breed tendencies' go, I've never been a believer in them, so meh.
A good chunk of folks you meet will tell you that Pit Bulls are horrible rotten dogs to be around, but I was raised around them, and have found them to be nothing but sweet, beautiful dogs. So no, I don't believe that dogs are the way they are and that's it.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, so please don't take it like that, I just wanted to state that.
Whether you choose to believe in genetics or not is your business, but temperament and drives (to retrieve, to be ratters, to point, to chase, to protect etc.) are all inherent.

Anyone that knows the breed well will acknowledge the APBT is great with family, but has definite inherent animal aggression tendencies. I am not a hater of any breed, but I do respect all breed roots. Like them or not they are what they are for that particular breed. Burying ones head in the sand pretending what they've done for generations upon generations never happened isn't responsible or ethical.

As for the Mastiff - there is loads out there on the topic of English/Neopolitan Mastiff's not being recommended for homes with small children, much less homes where a bunch of non-family members are constantly coming and going because they are inherently very territorial. Most will not appreciate or tolerate your daycare parents coming and going. House and yard will be viewed as theirs, their obedience response time is slower by nature (this is fact) and their sheer size alone makes them a liability to have out and about around kids.

They are NOT Beagles, Pomeranians, Coonhounds or Pugs just in a bigger package. They are their own breed, with their own tendencies, and although training and socialization is all well and fine one cannot squash the inherent drive they'll possess to protect home and family.

Although I am not opposed to dogs in the home (I have four) I would not trust someone else to responsibly have their mastiff out around my kids and a bunch of others all at the same time. There's just no way one could adequately supervise that situation, or any way I'd trust the dog not see my child as an outsider at any point during the day, or every single other day. Add to that a dog that size it only takes one bite, as has been shown many times before unfortunately

Just not a risk I'd ever be willing to take or expose my own family to.
Meeko 08:22 AM 06-20-2012
Mastiffs, Saints and Newfoundlands are called the "gentle giants" for a reason. Newfies are considered the number one dog with kids because they are so incredibly gentle.

Our 209 pound Newf went to the local elementary school on a regular basis. He got very excited when we pulled in the parking lot and he would stand there while DOZENS of kids mauled him all over, crawled under his legs etc. My day care kids loved him and he loved them. He was so gentle and soft with them.

Big dogs are MUCH more patient with children. Small dogs tend to be more highly strung and more yappy/snappy. Of course, a large breed can accidently knock over a toddler, so care must be taken....but I would worry MUCH more about bites etc with small breeds.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Mastiffs, Saints and Newfoundlands are called the "gentle giants" for a reason. Newfies are considered the number one dog with kids because they are so incredibly gentle.

Our 209 pound Newf went to the local elementary school on a regular basis. He got very excited when we pulled in the parking lot and he would stand there while DOZENS of kids mauled him all over, crawled under his legs etc. My day care kids loved him and he loved them. He was so gentle and soft with them.

Big dogs are MUCH more patient with children. Small dogs tend to be more highly strung and more yappy/snappy. Of course, a large breed can accidently knock over a toddler, so care must be taken....but I would worry MUCH more about bites etc with small breeds.

You asked to see some more pix of Ozzie...I added a slew of them to an album in my profile......

https://www.daycare.com/forum/album.php?albumid=47
Willow 08:35 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Not to pick at this but holy wrong......

Mastiff's are NOT Saints or Newfoundlands. They aren't even on the same planet when discussing temperament and inherent drives.

I also disagree with your assertion that they are considered "the number one dog with kids," but that's not what this thread is about.
Meeko 08:36 AM 06-20-2012
http://youtu.be/6Bg9XTPsz4Y
Willow 08:41 AM 06-20-2012
I'm sorry, but a youtube video doesn't prove or disprove anything about a breeds general inherent temperament or drive.

Sure individuals can break molds, that doesn't mean they should ever be the assumption.

Not that we're even talking about Newfoundlands here, it's the Mastiff that's being discussed. Newfoundlands are not Mastiff's.
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 06-20-2012
"The Mastiff temperament:

Originally valued for their abilities as a fierce guard and fighting dog, today's Mastiff is a gentle giant. It is a self-confident, watchful, and patient dog who is gentle-natured towards his family. Intelligent and dignified. It rarely barks, but it is in its nature to defend its territory and family. Calm, steady and docile, this dog is normally excellent with children, (not recommend for toddlers though, because of their great size). Good natured, but very large and heavy. Responds well to gentle, patient training. This breed loves to please and needs lots of companionship. The Mastiff's dominance varies widely depending on the lineage. A born guard dog, brave and loyal. When strangers visit, it is likely to refuse to let them in unless they are accepted by its handler. The Mastiff generally holds intruders at bay rather than attacking. Protection training is unnecessary for this naturally protective breed. It is very possessive of home, family and car. It may be combative with other dogs if not very well socialized as a puppy, so extra effort should be given to socialize a Mastiff puppy. If properly socialized it will get along well with other dogs. The Mastiff tends to drool, wheeze and snore loudly. They can be somewhat difficult to train."

********************************************************************************
....sounds ALOT like my Saint.
Kiki 09:11 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Burying ones head in the sand pretending what they've done for generations upon generations never happened isn't responsible or ethical.

As for the Mastiff - there is loads out there on the topic of English/Neopolitan Mastiff's not being recommended for homes with small children, much less homes where a bunch of non-family members are constantly coming and going because they are inherently very territorial. Most will not appreciate or tolerate your daycare parents coming and going. House and yard will be viewed as theirs, their obedience response time is slower by nature (this is fact) and their sheer size alone makes them a liability to have out and about around kids.
I'm not 'burying my head in the sand', I just don't agree with you deary.

Akita's are said to be very territorial as well, but I have one, and she has no problem with my day care parents, or my day care children, she loves them just as much as she loves my immediate family. I could tell you loads of other things that Akita's have supposedly done for 'generations and generations' that I personally have never witnessed with mine.
I'm not in any way arguing that the evidence isn't out there that x dog has done x x times, but I am arguing the fact that people think just because it's happened before, it will happen with yours, or with this persons or that persons.
You can talk about 'general inherent temperament or drive' all you want, but each dog is their own. And while they might posses some of those inherent traits, they might not. You just never really know.

Honestly? I think we are going to have to just agree to disagree here.
WImom 09:13 AM 06-20-2012
Well luckily I have an 8 and 9.5 year old so no toddlers here and I wasn't planning on allowing the dog in my seperate daycare space.

I've also never heard a single bad thing about Mastiffs and I've been researching the breed for about a year now. I'm also willing to pay the high price to get one from a championship line since they are so big. I want to know the history of the parents, etc.

Thanks for all the replies. Love those Ozzie photos! He is a cutie!

Yeah, I'll have to agree to disagree as well.
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
Well luckily I have an 8 and 9.5 year old so no toddlers here and I wasn't planning on allowing the dog in my seperate daycare space.

I've also never heard a single bad thing about Mastiffs and I've been researching the breed for about a year now. I'm also willing to pay the high price to get one from a chapionship line since they are so big. I want to know the history of the parents, etc.

Thanks for all the replies. Love those Ozzie photos! He is a cutie!
Thank you....

When you do get your mastiff.....please please please post some pictures as I am super excited! I love puppies but REALLY love the big breed ones!
Willow 09:31 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
I'm not 'burying my head in the sand', I just don't agree with you deary.

Akita's are said to be very territorial as well, but I have one, and she has no problem with my day care parents, or my day care children, she loves them just as much as she loves my immediate family. I could tell you loads of other things that Akita's have supposedly done for 'generations and generations' that I personally have never witnessed with mine.
I'm not in any way arguing that the evidence isn't out there that x dog has done x x times, but I am arguing the fact that people think just because it's happened before, it will happen with yours, or with this persons or that persons.
You can talk about 'general inherent temperament or drive' all you want, but each dog is their own. And while they might posses some of those inherent traits, they might not. You just never really know.

Honestly? I think we are going to have to just agree to disagree here.

I don't understand what you're disagreeing with...

Are you saying Labrador Retrievers being first bred to retrieve nets and then downed birds shouldn't be expected to have intense retrieving instincts today because one here and there might not? Or that APBT's being first bred to bait bulls and bears, and then being bred to be ratters and dog fighters shouldn't have any aggression issues with other animals today because one here and there might not?

Akitas were never bred to be territorial, to the contrary they had to have amicable temperaments as their primary purpose was to roam and hunt.

Each dog isn't their own. It's exactly why there are many breeds and not just one. If they were all the same there would be absolutely no point in breeding specific lines. It's exactly why people know if you breed a show line Labrador of today it'll be a couch potato while to the contrary if you breed a field line Labrador you'll get a machine that'll destroy your house if it's not given appropriate outlets for it's intelligence and energy.

It's not merely my opinion that those traits are extremely predictable. It's basic principles of genetics at work.
Meeko 01:10 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

You asked to see some more pix of Ozzie...I added a slew of them to an album in my profile......

https://www.daycare.com/forum/album.php?albumid=47
Oh he is GORGEOUS!!!! Makes me miss my big babies....
Tags:dogs, pets in daycare
Reply Up