Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever
williams2008 10:20 AM 09-13-2013
All of my dcks have been sick all week with a terrible cough, snotty noses, etc. I have a 10 month old who has been out for the past 2 days with fever and Bronchitis. Well today I have a 12 month old who is not here because she has been running fever all night and this am. Dcm is obviously upset with me because dcg could not come today. The dcm had to call in and her employer has been giving her a hard time about calling in to work when dcg is sick and she has no back up care.

Do you ever not exclude for fever and do you always send them home and ask that they not return until fever free? I hate that dcm does not have any other help with dcg and today after speaking with dcm I felt kind of bad
NeedaVaca 10:38 AM 09-13-2013
I ALWAYS exclude! Sorry that mom is having a hard time at work but being a parent means dealing with stuff like this. If you take a sick DCK all the other parents will be upset when their kids come home sick! Yes, they might all get it anyway but at least when you require them to to be fever free they know you are doing the best you can. I would rather have 1 mom upset than all of the others...Plus, once you start taking sick kids you will always be taking sick kids.
MsLaura529 10:42 AM 09-13-2013
I understand feeling bad about it, as I would too ... but PP is right - once you take one, you will get them all.

DCM will be needing to pick her child up from school when she ends up with a fever as well ... same thing.
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:
All of my dcks have been sick all week with a terrible cough, snotty noses, etc. I have a 10 month old who has been out for the past 2 days with fever and Bronchitis. Well today I have a 12 month old who is not here because she has been running fever all night and this am. Dcm is obviously upset with me because dcg could not come today. The dcm had to call in and her employer has been giving her a hard time about calling in to work when dcg is sick and she has no back up care.

Do you ever not exclude for fever and do you always send them home and ask that they not return until fever free? I hate that dcm does not have any other help with dcg and today after speaking with dcm I felt kind of bad
Yes, I ALWAYS exclude until fever free without the aid of OTC medications for a FULL 24 hours.

While I completely sympathize with the DCM about her employer, it is still her responsibility to parent her sick child or have a back up provider available if her employer is not very supportive of parents who put their child's needs first.

You job/responsibility is to the GROUP of children you have as a whole.

If you had allowed this mom to come and the illness continues to be passed back and forth, she would eventually have to take even more time off to continue caring for her child's repeat illness....it IS a vicious cycle.

Plus she needs to be able to put herself in other parent's shoes....how would she feel if you allowed another sick child to attend and continually got her child sick.... it goes both ways.

Tell her you FULLY understand the situation but you still need to do what is best for everyone as a whole without making exceptions for individual situations/families.
williams2008 10:46 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I ALWAYS exclude! Sorry that mom is having a hard time at work but being a parent means dealing with stuff like this. If you take a sick DCK all the other parents will be upset when their kids come home sick! Yes, they might all get it anyway but at least when you require them to to be fever free they know you are doing the best you can. I would rather have 1 mom upset than all of the others...Plus, once you start taking sick kids you will always be taking sick kids.
Thank you for confirming that I did the right thing. I always exclude too, but this time I felt so bad for dcm.
williams2008 10:48 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I understand feeling bad about it, as I would too ... but PP is right - once you take one, you will get them all.

DCM will be needing to pick her child up from school when she ends up with a fever as well ... same thing.

williams2008 10:57 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, I ALWAYS exclude until fever free without the aid of OTC medications for a FULL 24 hours.

While I completely sympathize with the DCM about her employer, it is still her responsibility to parent her sick child or have a back up provider available if her employer is not very supportive of parents who put their child's needs first.

You job/responsibility is to the GROUP of children you have as a whole.

If you had allowed this mom to come and the illness continues to be passed back and forth, she would eventually have to take even more time off to continue caring for her child's repeat illness....it IS a vicious cycle.

Plus she needs to be able to put herself in other parent's shoes....how would she feel if you allowed another sick child to attend and continually got her child sick.... it goes both ways.

Tell her you FULLY understand the situation but you still need to do what is best for everyone as a whole without making exceptions for individual situations/families.
I assured her that my responsibility was for the entire group not just her child. Some of my parents think it's all about their child only.
Brustkt 11:01 AM 09-13-2013
Also, what happens when you end up sick and have to close? Then you are putting all your families out...including her! We are susceptible to contagious illness also...even if we are superhuman!
Cradle2crayons 11:15 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:

If the temp is over 100.5 degrees, I ALWAYS exclude, unless its the day after shots. ALWAYS.

However, if they have a minor cough or cold without fever, I do NOT exclude. As long as they can participate in daycare.

Don't feel bad because mom doesn't have back up care. That's HER responsibility, not yours. You can't let moms problems become your problems or else she'll use that to every advantage.
williams2008 11:33 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Brustkt:
Also, what happens when you end up sick and have to close? Then you are putting all your families out...including her! We are susceptible to contagious illness also...even if we are superhuman!

williams2008 11:33 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
If the temp is over 100.5 degrees, I ALWAYS exclude, unless its the day after shots. ALWAYS.

However, if they have a minor cough or cold without fever, I do NOT exclude. As long as they can participate in daycare.

Don't feel bad because mom doesn't have back up care. That's HER responsibility, not yours. You can't let moms problems become your problems or else she'll use that to every advantage.

Tags:fever - policy
Reply Up