Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diarrhea after stomach bug
hgonzalez 11:55 AM 01-17-2014
We have been hit hard with the stomach bug in our area, all my DCKs had it last week (as I did). I have a 5 mo old here that had it a week ago and still has diarrhea. She is having two major blowouts during the daycare day, up the back, clothes changing kind of blowouts. It is getting to be a lot of extra work for me and it's gross!

Is this normal following the stomach bug?
Blackcat31 12:08 PM 01-17-2014
Yep. I've had kids with diarrhea and kids with vomiting.

Only a couple have had both.

Either way, if they have more than one diarrhea episode in one day, they go home. It's too much for me to deal with while keeping the environment safe and sanitary for the others.

Even if it's an infant. It's still diarrhea and MN rules state you need to send home if they have diarrhea more than once.

Hang in there. I've heard it has hit MN hard right now.

We've even got a few cases of the actual flu too.
daycarediva 01:01 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yep. I've had kids with diarrhea and kids with vomiting.

Only a couple have had both.

Either way, if they have more than one diarrhea episode in one day, they go home. It's too much for me to deal with while keeping the environment safe and sanitary for the others.

Even if it's an infant. It's still diarrhea and MN rules state you need to send home if they have diarrhea more than once.

Hang in there. I've heard it has hit MN hard right now.

We've even got a few cases of the actual flu too.
Yup. One and done, I send home. It doesn't matter the reason (just sent home a few weeks ago for diarrhea due to antibiotics).
dalman 10:19 PM 01-17-2014
I've had it here too. One family just had the vomiting/nausea for 24 hours. About four days later, another family had diarrhea for 48 hours. My rules follow MN state guidelines. They must be free of all symptoms for 24 hours before they can return to daycare. One family tried to say it must have been something they ate, but I said it didn't matter, 24 hours is for everyone's protection. Another pet peeve is when they try to place blame on it coming from someone. What a bunch of houey. It doesn't matter. Unless you live in a bubble, virus' will occasionally find you. Parents just can't stand having to use their vacation time to take care of their sick children instead of indulging themselves at some all inclusive. (Okay, I'm done.)
Reply Up