Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination Wording Help
Preschool/daycare teacher 10:47 AM 10-30-2015
It is obvious I have to term a family due to non attendance. Dcg will have been out for two weeks straight now, with one excuse after another on why she won't be coming. They obviously don't need me and I believe she's looking for someone else who is cheaper (she was getting huffy on payday and recently started trying to get out of paying on time, but I quit playing that game). So she's stringing me along making it sound like she'll be back next week... then when it's time to pay for the next week, she has another excuse why she won't be here. So, when she texts me today or tomorrow which I'm sure she will with yet another excuse, how should I word it that I will no longer hold a spot for her daughter? Even if she does not text, I'm planning to text her because I'm not willing to give her another week. I could be trying to fill her spot with a Full Timer (she's scheduled to attend 3 days a week, but of course PT uses a FT spot). I'm willing to do a drop in basis at a higher rate since I provide drop in service and I really like dcg, but I'm sure she'll just laugh at that since she'd have to pay more when she's looking for someone cheaper. Or that's my guess anyway. Why else would she come up with excuses for two weeks now as to why she won't be coming when she hasn't mentioned any problems with me or my childcare and always seemed happy with what I provided and talked about how much dcg likes me and loves coming? The only hint she's given of being unhappy is on pay day each week
LysesKids 11:13 AM 10-30-2015
not sure how I would word a letter...

I would have termed already for non payment; in my policies it states after 3 days of non payment I automatically term your contract and look to fill it with another family. She would have been SOL a week ago if she was contracted here lol.

I also state in the contract that your contract becomes Drop-in status the first time you don't pay on time. I don't have a late pay fee, I just explain, no pay no stay unless you cough up the $30 Drop-in fee the next scheduled day. I don't play games - have only AUTOMATICALLY termed 2 families because of it, everyone else pays in full on time
laundrymom 11:13 AM 10-30-2015
I would just text and let her know you are emailing/mailing her an official notice but wanted to give her a heads up.

Maybe
Hey Sue, based on the last two weeks your childcare needs seem to have changed. Give me a text or call on the weeks you need me and if I have room I would love to have Susie for the week.
Thanks.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
It is obvious I have to term a family due to non attendance. Dcg will have been out for two weeks straight now, with one excuse after another on why she won't be coming. They obviously don't need me and I believe she's looking for someone else who is cheaper (she was getting huffy on payday and recently started trying to get out of paying on time, but I quit playing that game). So she's stringing me along making it sound like she'll be back next week... then when it's time to pay for the next week, she has another excuse why she won't be here. So, when she texts me today or tomorrow which I'm sure she will with yet another excuse, how should I word it that I will no longer hold a spot for her daughter? Even if she does not text, I'm planning to text her because I'm not willing to give her another week. I could be trying to fill her spot with a Full Timer (she's scheduled to attend 3 days a week, but of course PT uses a FT spot). I'm willing to do a drop in basis at a higher rate since I provide drop in service and I really like dcg, but I'm sure she'll just laugh at that since she'd have to pay more when she's looking for someone cheaper. Or that's my guess anyway. Why else would she come up with excuses for two weeks now as to why she won't be coming when she hasn't mentioned any problems with me or my childcare and always seemed happy with what I provided and talked about how much dcg likes me and loves coming? The only hint she's given of being unhappy is on pay day each week
I would just drop the kid down to drop in status myself and let mom know. If she balks or has issue with it, let her know that it's obviously difficult for her to make the required payments and since attendance is an issue, this is the only way you will consider continuing to provide services. Be sure your drop in rate is atleast 2x what your regular rate it.

I would not terminate care if the child is generally a good kid to have in care and the only issue you are really having seem to be mom's inability to commit. Drop in is a win win for both of you IMHO.

DCM

Due to attendance issues, as of Friday October 30, 2015 DCG has been added to the "drop in" roster and will no longer be considered a regularly enrolled child.

Please note that drop in families do NOT get priority in scheduling and may use services when available only. Drop in rates are $X per day.

When services are needed, you will need to call to inquire about availability the morning of. Payment for the day is due in cash AT drop off or services will not be provided.

Thank you

Provider.

Annalee 11:19 AM 10-30-2015
From a humorous standpoint....JUST SAY "get out of my face", "leave", " don't come back"..."adious".....

It is Friday and a much needed Friday

Seriously, just be honest. I just put a client on a 4-week trial to avoid termination. I was honest. Just told her this was MY child care business. I appreciate her parenting, but her views/expectations DO NOT coincide with group child care. She has found a doctor that seems to have a doctor note for everything she wants me to do...I explained that I would accept NO MORE DOCTOR NOTES or she would be terminated. I explained also that without complying she would force me to terminate. She really needs nanny care but I am offering one last incentive. Good luck!
mommyneedsadayoff 11:19 AM 10-30-2015
Dear DCM,

Due to lack of attendance, I have decided to terminate care as of XX date. If your daycare needs change in the future, feel free to contact me. Thank you for your business!"

If or when she contacts you, have your new contract set up stating payent is required regardless of attendance and whatever else you need to put it in to make sure people don't take advantage of you.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:22 AM 10-30-2015
Whoops! Posted at the same time as ^^^^^! So, yeah, what they said!
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:45 PM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
not sure how I would word a letter...

I would have termed already for non payment; in my policies it states after 3 days of non payment I automatically term your contract and look to fill it with another family. She would have been SOL a week ago if she was contracted here lol.

I also state in the contract that your contract becomes Drop-in status the first time you don't pay on time. I don't have a late pay fee, I just explain, no pay no stay unless you cough up the $30 Drop-in fee the next scheduled day. I don't play games - have only AUTOMATICALLY termed 2 families because of it, everyone else pays in full on time
Oh, she's up to date on her payments. The only issue is that she's not been bringing dcg, so she's using a space that I could fill with someone else full time if she's not going to be using that space (I think she's looking for someone else to watch dcg). I only get part time payment from her and if she doesn't need me, then I'd like to be advertising for a full time child who will attend. I don't have a "pay regardless of attendance" policy yet.

Thank you everyone! I think I'll just offer to do a drop in status for her, even though she'll probably laugh and say no since it costs more.
MarinaVanessa 02:49 PM 10-30-2015
So she's paid up and has even paid for the 2 weeks that her DD hasn't been at the daycare? Am I understanding correctly?
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:53 PM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
So she's paid up and has even paid for the 2 weeks that her DD hasn't been at the daycare? Am I understanding correctly?
No, she's paid up for childcare I have actually provided. I do not currently charge if the child was not here, so I am not getting paid to hold her spot. I should have already implemented the "pay regardless of attendance" policy, but I hadn't changed my policy yet.
MarinaVanessa 05:17 PM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
No, she's paid up for childcare I have actually provided. I do not currently charge if the child was not here, so I am not getting paid to hold her spot. I should have already implemented the "pay regardless of attendance" policy, but I hadn't changed my policy yet.
Ahh ok, makes sense. Well if anything this is a great opportunity to start that policy and give her the choice of signing a new contract where she pays regardless of attendance, going drop-in and paying the drop-in rate or canceling her contract
Tags:termination letter
Reply Up