Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policies for Natural Disasters/Man Made Events
Country Kids 09:11 AM 03-05-2018
In our policy and procedures we now have to have a section for Natural Disasters/Man Made Events.

We have to show what we will do and also, how we will maintain and continue on childcare operations.

I'm an over thinker so I can't really simplify this in my mind no matter how hard I try. I can have the best laid plan written out but until anything happens, you don't know how you will handle it.

We have had no training on anything like this and like I said, I over think so I'm totally lost on this. I'm more worried about the after part and if parents can't get here what do I do, if children are hurt, I'm hurt, etc. There is so many variables that I think just having a five point procedure is not a reality.

Does anyone have this in their policy and procedure handbooks.
Cat Herder 09:34 AM 03-05-2018
Everything you need to know can be found here:https://www.fema.gov/media-library/a...documents/7877
storybookending 09:40 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
In our policy and procedures we now have to have a section for Natural Disasters/Man Made Events.

We have to show what we will do and also, how we will maintain and continue on childcare operations.

I'm an over thinker so I can't really simplify this in my mind no matter how hard I try. I can have the best laid plan written out but until anything happens, you don't know how you will handle it.

We have had no training on anything like this and like I said, I over think so I'm totally lost on this. I'm more worried about the after part and if parents can't get here what do I do, if children are hurt, I'm hurt, etc. There is so many variables that I think just having a five point procedure is not a reality.

Does anyone have this in their policy and procedure handbooks.
We just have to have evacuation plans posted by all exits and emergency numbers posted. At the center we had first aid kits that went everywhere with us and they also held a copy of each child’s emergency contact numbers so we always had it on the go, on field trips etc.

In my state we have to practice monthly fire drills and tornado drills in the warmer months as well. As far as having a disaster plan if you are required I would just not over think it and write it out. You can have the best laid out policy in the world on paper but nothing is going to fully prepare you for how you will react when disaster strikes.
Country Kids 09:48 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Everything you need to know can be found here:https://www.fema.gov/media-library/a...documents/7877
Thank you! I did find some just for childcares and printing it out so I can really look it over.

They do suggest things that I'm not able to do though but good points to think about.
Country Kids 09:55 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
We just have to have evacuation plans posted by all exits and emergency numbers posted. At the center we had first aid kits that went everywhere with us and they also held a copy of each child’s emergency contact numbers so we always had it on the go, on field trips etc.

In my state we have to practice monthly fire drills and tornado drills in the warmer months as well. As far as having a disaster plan if you are required I would just not over think it and write it out. You can have the best laid out policy in the world on paper but nothing is going to fully prepare you for how you will react when disaster strikes.
I do have everything for my kiddo's on my phone for contacts. My worry is what if communication is down and we can't reach the parents? Our town has the interstate running right through it, and each way to my house from where my parents work, involves crossing a bridge which may not be there in the even of a disaster.

Yes, I just need to put it down on paper, have the parents look it over and be good with it.
Cat Herder 09:59 AM 03-05-2018
I do have everything for my kiddo's on my phone for contacts. My worry is what if communication is down and we can't reach the parents? Our town has the interstate running right through it, and each way to my house from where my parents work, involves crossing a bridge which may not be there in the even of a disaster.

Yes, I just need to put it down on paper, have the parents look it over and be good with it.
"In case of evacuation and cell phone blackout our primary meetup place will be _______. Secondary location is ______."

Mine is a local volunteer fire dept (with permission) then a library in the county over. I have a mini-van that will seat all the kids for evacuation, emergency transport, only. Get the kids there and shelter in place until all are picked up.
storybookending 10:07 AM 03-05-2018

I would also have a paper copy available of all contact numbers just incase you aren’t able to grab your phone or it gets lost in the hustle and bustle that an emergency event can bring about. I like CH’s idea of having a meeting spot be at a local fire or police department or library or a hospital even.
Country Kids 10:48 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"In case of evacuation and cell phone blackout our primary meetup place will be _______. Secondary location is ______."

Mine is a local volunteer fire dept (with permission) then a library in the county over. Get the kids there and shelter in place until all are picked up.
I'm thinking of just keeping it to my house/yard. I'm not sure if I would be able to get everyone in my car, what the streets are like, etc. I don't know if I want to tell the parents a place and then possibly not be able to get there.

Do you have emergency packs for all the kiddo's? That was one of the suggestions and I'm like, I have no where to store that many?

So many variables and that is why I over think it.
Cat Herder 11:07 AM 03-05-2018
I'm thinking of just keeping it to my house/yard. I'm not sure if I would be able to get everyone in my car, what the streets are like, etc. I don't know if I want to tell the parents a place and then possibly not be able to get there.

Do you have emergency packs for all the kiddo's? That was one of the suggestions and I'm like, I have no where to store that many?

So many variables and that is why I over think it.
If your neighborhood is evacuated you will have no choice but to leave. They will "assist" you in leaving.

Having a meetup place makes it quicker to get the kids where they need to go and make you available to your own family. Having an alternate is well advised as with flooding/tornados you may need to evacuate out further.

Emergency packs are really easy to make, keep it simple. A few packs of ready to feed formula/bottles, jar of peanut butter (or sunflower/soy nut butter for nut allergy)/jelly, box of ritz crackers, container of raisins/craisins/dried roasted peas or green beans, small paper plates/napkins, sippy cups, bottled water, diapers/wipes/changing pad, clorox wipes/alcohol gel for hands, blankets, books, crayons, paper and legos.

Obviously if a kid has a special need they would need a substitution or a few extras.
Annalee 11:42 AM 03-05-2018
We had to come up with a place at least 3 miles away. We have been told transportation rules will not apply within an emergency...
Sunchimes 01:13 PM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We had to come up with a place at least 3 miles away. We have been told transportation rules will not apply within an emergency...
Would that mean it is ok not to have car seats in an emergency?
Cat Herder 01:28 PM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Would that mean it is ok not to have car seats in an emergency?
Yes. Use good judgement and do your best with what you have.
Attached: plan Q evacuation (600 x 337).jpg (46.2 KB) 
LittleExplorers 01:28 PM 03-07-2018
MN now requires a plan and the The DHS website has a fillable form as well as some information to help.

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...ame=dhs-289073
flying_babyb 06:40 PM 03-07-2018
Our daycare has a emergency bag for each room. Contact infromation for parents, emergency contacts and permission to treat go on laminated cards ( so we can change them with a simple swipe of the magic eraser), A bunch of granola bars (easy food), a large blanket, flashlight, wipes, a mini first aid kit, some books (enteraiment), bubbles, and a few trinkety toys. Toddlers include diapers. Most have a spare phone charger. Were three blocks from a school with a church so we can always go there.
MarinaVanessa 11:02 PM 03-07-2018
If you don't know what you need or where to start we (in CA) have a book that's helpful when planning your emergency disaster plan.
https://cchp.ucsf.edu/…/files/CA-Chi...aster-Plan.pdf
Second Home 05:58 AM 03-08-2018
I have a to go backpack . It has copies of all the kids emergency cards , a first aid kit , flashlight, battery powered radio and some other items . I keep it near the garage so if I have to leave I can easily grab it on the way out the door.
Country Kids 08:12 AM 03-08-2018
So after I posted this, I received info yesterday that the classes will now be held around are state to help train us for disasters or man made events.

My mouth fell open , I was like no way. So it sounds like since this is something new for our state, providers are struggling with this and they are going to be helping us put some together.

Thank you everyone though for all your advice and tips! I still have to have something put together before taking the classes so they can see what I do have and what I might be able to add or take away.
MarinaVanessa 08:23 AM 03-08-2018
So after I posted this, I received info yesterday that the classes will now be held around are state to help train us for disasters or man made events.

My mouth fell open , I was like no way. So it sounds like since this is something new for our state, providers are struggling with this and they are going to be helping us put some together.

Thank you everyone though for all your advice and tips! I still have to have something put together before taking the classes so they can see what I do have and what I might be able to add or take away.
That's great! If you already have something put together you can take it with you to the training and have them review it.
Tags:emergency preparedness plan, evacuation, evacuation site
Reply Up