Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Different Kind of Picky Eater
My Daycare 07:47 AM 10-01-2011
My son is 4 and I have always considered him a picky eater. When I read on here about picky eaters, the things that those children eat or different than what my son eats. I've noticed that a lot of picky eaters love fruit. Mine does not.

He likes all meat, some starch and dairy products. The only kind of fruit he can get down more than a bite of is an unripened green banana. He does not like candy or pop because they are "too hot." I'm not totally complaining about that, I just wonder why. He does love chocolate.

He gets one bite of a fruit or veggie with every meal and he will eat it without a fight, but he does not like it.

My other children and hubby eat very well.

I do hide stuff in his bread and meatloaf, but it's difficult sometimes to do in sauces or stews because he does not like purees or sauces.

Any suggestions or insights?
My Daycare 07:50 AM 10-01-2011
Oh, I should add that he is a little guy 5th percentile for height & weight. Small, but proportional and healthy.
e.j. 10:41 AM 10-01-2011
Is it possible he's allergic to fruits and veggies? When my son was younger, I thought he was just being picky, too. I could get him to eat a few things but he refused most fruits and veggies. After a fairly intense reaction to watermelon, we had him tested and found he was allergic to it. At the time, we hadn't put two and two together so we didn't ask for further testing for other foods but once he grew older, he was able to express the fact that his throat and tongue itched and tingled when he ate most fruit and veggies. Given the fact that he tested positive to watermelon, we're assuming he's allergic to most fruits and veggies because the symptoms are the same as when he ate watermelon.

Also, I've been hearing about something called "supertasters" lately. Here's a link you might find interesting:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PersonalBest/story?id=2740603
My Daycare 05:08 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Is it possible he's allergic to fruits and veggies? When my son was younger, I thought he was just being picky, too. I could get him to eat a few things but he refused most fruits and veggies. After a fairly intense reaction to watermelon, we had him tested and found he was allergic to it. At the time, we hadn't put two and two together so we didn't ask for further testing for other foods but once he grew older, he was able to express the fact that his throat and tongue itched and tingled when he ate most fruit and veggies. Given the fact that he tested positive to watermelon, we're assuming he's allergic to most fruits and veggies because the symptoms are the same as when he ate watermelon.

Also, I've been hearing about something called "supertasters" lately. Here's a link you might find interesting:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PersonalBest/story?id=2740603
Thanks for the insight. I have never heard of a supertaster or thought that it could be an allergy. That's a cool test. I might try it on all of us.
Tags:article, picky eater
Reply Up