Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ever Have This Happen?
Valerie928 12:58 PM 05-07-2019
Today I was closed so I could attend a mother's day celebration at my son's school. My dc families have known about this day off for a long time. I reminded them at end of April. Fast forward to this morning. Door bell rings at 7:45. I look into camera monitor to see Dcd standing there with dcg. I was not "dressed " and was enjoying breakfast with my son before his bus. I did not answer the door. Eventually they left and I got a text from dc dad asking what is going on 🙄... followed by another text from dc mom saying she forgot I was off today...... would you have answered the door? I am kinda proud of myself for ignoring😁
lovemykidstoo 01:05 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Today I was closed so I could attend a mother's day celebration at my son's school. My dc families have known about this day off for a long time. I reminded them at end of April. Fast forward to this morning. Door bell rings at 7:45. I look into camera monitor to see Dcd standing there with dcg. I was not "dressed " and was enjoying breakfast with my son before his bus. I did not answer the door. Eventually they left and I got a text from dc dad asking what is going on 🙄... followed by another text from dc mom saying she forgot I was off today...... would you have answered the door? I am kinda proud of myself for ignoring😁
Honestly it would depend on which of my dcf's it was lol If it was one that was someone that typically wasn't a problem and for whatever reason just forgot I would have. If it was like my family last week that for the 2nd time in a row forgot to pay me and didn't remember half of what I told them, no I wouldn't have. Call me petty. I did have a dcd that brought their child when I was sick one time. I had told mom the night before and i have no idea what happened. I think he was just on autopilot because I did answer the door and he was halfway back to his car and yelled I'm so sorry, I totally forgot lol. As soon as he knocked he realized it haha!
LITTLESTARS 01:14 PM 05-07-2019
def NOT , some parents just don't pay any mind when we give memos or reminders , I post all my reminders on the entrance door then up the stairs and then send home a memo telling them the daycare is closed xx day, good for you I would have done the same thing and I wouldn't even reply to texts
LysesKids 01:51 PM 05-07-2019
Today I was closed so I could attend a mother's day celebration at my son's school. My dc families have known about this day off for a long time. I reminded them at end of April. Fast forward to this morning. Door bell rings at 7:45. I look into camera monitor to see Dcd standing there with dcg. I was not "dressed " and was enjoying breakfast with my son before his bus. I did not answer the door. Eventually they left and I got a text from dc dad asking what is going on ��... followed by another text from dc mom saying she forgot I was off today...... would you have answered the door? I am kinda proud of myself for ignoring��
You did good

I always posted a note on the front door the morning of closure... stops the knocking right away when they read, sorry you are reading this, however you have known for (however many days/weeks) I would be closed today. See you tomorrow
Provider

Only had one DCP actually show up on a day off & read the note... sent an apology to me
Lil_Diddle 02:51 PM 05-07-2019
I had a family do this once, not sure why but they had grandma bring the boys that day. I didn’t answer, for one I was still in bed. Secondly, I know I’m weak and it’s not grandmas fault. I know she has to go to work as well. I would have felt bad, caved and took the boys and spent my morning trying to reach the parents.
Now that the daycare is in my basement as has it’s own entrance I post notes on the door all of the time. So DCP get a monthly newsletter, advanced notice as much as possible and a note on the door. No excuses and no sympathy
knoxmomof2 05:20 AM 05-08-2019
Good for you! I've never had that problem, but I've read about other providers that have. I have had an issue with someone coming early or so late that I expected they weren't coming and then they did, etc. Those mostly happened when I was new, before I figured out how to prevent those things and I would answer the door.

Now, if a parent leaves things unclear or fails to notify me in advance, I don't worry about it. They can wait or text me or whatever but I'm not rushing around for someone who's inconsiderate.

I have a family with 2 dcks, they're all over the place with drop off time lately and they're my first in if they come at their usual time. Their drive is how long it takes me to get ready, so I just told them to text when they leave the house and I'll get ready then. The last 2 mornings, he texted me that he's packing up the car instead of the usual "on my way"?? Old me would have gotten out of bed just in case that meant he was leaving. Yesterday, I just went back to sleep and figured if that was his new warning text, he'd have to sit in the driveway while I got ready because that is not what we've been doing for 6 months now. 10 minutes later, he texts that he was leaving the house. No clue why this new development, he did it again this morning, but I'll be letting him know tonight it's unwelcome since he's waking me up 10 minutes early 🙄.... I need that 10 minutes!!
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
The last 2 mornings, he texted me that he's packing up the car instead of the usual "on my way"?? Old me would have gotten out of bed just in case that meant he was leaving. Yesterday, I just went back to sleep and figured if that was his new warning text, he'd have to sit in the driveway while I got ready because that is not what we've been doing for 6 months now. 10 minutes later, he texts that he was leaving the house. No clue why this new development, he did it again this morning, but I'll be letting him know tonight it's unwelcome since he's waking me up 10 minutes early 🙄.... I need that 10 minutes!!
It's kind of like the snooze button. lol! He sends the first text to wake you. The second is the "get out of bed" text.

I've had parents show up on days I am closed before but it doesn't bother me as I don't live in my daycare house so I see it on my security camera but other than that, I'd have no idea they do it. My families now are good about it and it hasn't happened in a few years now but it has before.

A dad once came up the steps, knocked on the door and realize I was closed. He stepped back so he was in clear view of the camera; sheepishly shrugged his shoulders and waved to the camera and said "Ooops! I forgot... We'll see you on Monday!" and walked away...

We both thought it was pretty funny!

But thankfully it doesn't happen here often. Not sure if it's because my parents pay attention or if it's simply because I am honestly not really closed that often and when I am my parents are usually off as well.
lovemykidstoo 07:48 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's kind of like the snooze button. lol! He sends the first text to wake you. The second is the "get out of bed" text.

I've had parents show up on days I am closed before but it doesn't bother me as I don't live in my daycare house so I see it on my security camera but other than that, I'd have no idea they do it. My families now are good about it and it hasn't happened in a few years now but it has before.

A dad once came up the steps, knocked on the door and realize I was closed. He stepped back so he was in clear view of the camera; sheepishly shrugged his shoulders and waved to the camera and said "Ooops! I forgot... We'll see you on Monday!" and walked away...

But thankfully it doesn't happen here often. Not sure if it's because my parents pay attention or if it's simply because I am honestly not really closed that often and when I am my parents are usually off as well.
That's funny lol!!

I had one dcd that came one time when I was out playing in the driveway with the other kids. He walked up the driveway and I thought oh boy I"m going to have fun with this. It was a Wednesday. His son comes Monday, Tuesday and Friday hahahaha! I said, yea it's Wednesday lol It was so funny. I said, well I'd rather you came when he wasn't here than forget to come when he is here lol
Valerie928 08:23 AM 05-08-2019

I am rarely closed as well. In fact it makes me sad at the amount of things I have missed out on at my kids school because of daycare. I was extremely annoyed when dcd showed up yesterday on one of the rare occasions I was closed😐 Oh well I ignored him and it felt good!
knoxmomof2 12:24 PM 05-08-2019

Haha, that's good 😁
Tags:day off, time off
Reply Up