Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Beat The Rising Costs of Supplies in a Fun Way!
tinytotzdaycare 12:16 PM 09-27-2009
Each month my in-home childcare program offers a parents morning out. I offer childcare from 9am-3pm on one Saturday a month (more often near christmas for holiday shopping) and the costs for this PER CHILD will vary each time. I will specify which item and how many of that item to bring per child and it goes over fabulous!! Parents save $ and so do I!
I dont make as much as if I charged per hour but I do this b/c its fun and it stocks me on the things I use most!!

8pack of paper towels
24 pk toilet tissue
Spaghetti sauce & Pasta
5 cans of chicken noodle soup
3 boxes of tissues
and so on
Unregistered 07:08 AM 09-28-2009
that's a great idea, can you give us some more ideas of items to ask for?
or can anyone add to the list so i can get some more ideas?
tinytotzdaycare 01:52 PM 09-28-2009
I am so glad that you are interested in more ideas, here is a list of items I have done in the past. Each one is something for a seperate night/day out:

soup/crackers
clorox wipes
laundry soap
paper plates
elbo macaroni
muffin mix
boxes of cereal/oatmeal

We also use this as a community helper project during the holidays, I would offer an extra childcare event and have them bring in say 5 cans of soup and a box of crackers for EACH child. Then we would have the local pantry stop and pick all the items up for the food pantry holiday food boxes.
I would send home a monthly newsletter and include this info in there, some parents will bring extra knowing its for a great cause! =)

For New Years this year 2009 into 2010 we are offering over-night childcare (as we have done for 10 years) and the cost will be as follows:

1 box dishwasher soap
1 24ct toilet paper
1 8pk paper towels
2 clorox wipes
3 boxes kleenex

That list is per child! In our area (IOWA) that is approx value of $25.00 per child! All of my daycare parents find this fun and I also live in a small community and open it to the public (after my families have time to sign up).
Everyone brings their items at drop off and I should mention this an overnight only care event...children are here from 7pm-10am. No pickups are allowed in the middle of the night.

We have been doing this so long that we have our regulars every year, in fact we already have a FULL list for the upcoming event and it is only Sept. =)

You can use this idea in some many ways!!
Unregistered 05:54 AM 09-29-2009
thanks so much tinytotz, I took the ideas from yesterday and will post a flyer in my daycare, im also thinking of running an add in the paper but im not sure how to word it yet, really great idea! I'm going to the store and will price check everything and write down some things i need and how much they are so i will know what to tell parents..
Unregistered 05:58 AM 09-29-2009
oohh and im thinking of doing the new years eve thing too but i dont trust people to be here by 10 am so il probably make them pay a $25 deposit that is forfieted if they dont pick up on time...
tinytotzdaycare 10:20 AM 09-29-2009
I have NEVER had someone arrive late, but you know your parents best.
The one thing I can stress from experience is to be sure and be clear that their "payment items" are due at DROP OFF, or some will never bring them in.
Like I said you know your parents best =)

and also your welcome for all the ideas, I am full of them so let me know if you need assistance with anything further! =)
melissa ann 02:58 PM 10-12-2009
I'm thinking of posting a flyer at my Church. I'm thinking of doing a couple of Saturdays so parents can do holiday shopping or whatever. I was thinking of doing afternoon hours. Like noon-6pm. But tht might include lunch & supper. So maybe I will need to work on the hours.
tinytotzdaycare 04:09 PM 10-12-2009
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I'm thinking of posting a flyer at my Church. I'm thinking of doing a couple of Saturdays so parents can do holiday shopping or whatever. I was thinking of doing afternoon hours. Like noon-6pm. But tht might include lunch & supper. So maybe I will need to work on the hours.

I would try 10-4! That leaves you lunch and a small snack. What items are you asking for?
melissa ann 06:08 AM 10-13-2009
Not really sure yet. But right now we are going through the tissues. Everyone has runny noses. Maybe some lysol spray too. I was thinking of things that will be good for a long time. Like paper towels, t. paper, liquid hand soap/hand s*****er, bleach, things like that.

10 -4 is a good time. I don't want to start too early. Saturdays is my only time to sleep in. Sleeping in, to me, is like 8am. LOL!
seashell 06:08 AM 10-13-2009
What a good idea! I offer a Parent's Night Out once a month. Usually a Saturday night from 6 - 11 for $20 per child. That money is used for classroom supplies. I also like the idea of donations instead. I think our November PNO will be food donations for the area shelter.
tinytotzdaycare 06:58 AM 10-13-2009
Originally Posted by seashell:
What a good idea! I offer a Parent's Night Out once a month. Usually a Saturday night from 6 - 11 for $20 per child. That money is used for classroom supplies. I also like the idea of donations instead. I think our November PNO will be food donations for the area shelter.

We donate to our local pantry A LOT! Here is a list of what most shelters and pantries llike most....

soaps, shampoos, hygeine products b/c most pantries get food items at a lower cost than we can get them however..they are thankful for all donations

canned meats
canned veggies
cereals
rice
PB
beans
varieties of pastas

I am so glad that all of you are getting use of this idea, we love doing it and it not only stocks your pantry but can also stock the community pantry!
tinytotzdaycare 03:49 PM 12-23-2009
I am bumping this up for those of you asking about PNO and New Years!

Here are some great ideas for you to try!
Tags:cost cutting, costs, costs of supplies, starting a daycare, supplies, tips for providers
Reply Up