Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do YOU Advertise?
Whatever17 10:46 AM 05-12-2016
Hi Everyone! My daycare unfortunately just lost our only full time family and the loss of income was a shock. DCM unexpectedly had to leave the state and won't be coming back.

Anyway, I was wondering how everyone advertises to get new families to come check out your daycare? I feel like I am advertising in every way I can, but still get hardly any people to come check us out.

Some information about where I advertise: Craigslist, Facebook Groups, Business Facebook, Website, and Local Bulletin Boards

I always put our full time rate in the ads because we are the lowest price I've seen in our area. I also add pictures of the daycare set up. I get many comments about how nice our set up is, but hardly any follow though.

Any advice on new places to advertise? Or new ways to get families attention?

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else handles advertising!
yodaone 10:58 AM 05-12-2016
Not much help here! Just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I feel the exact same way. I advertise the same way as you and get lots of great feedback. I just don't have families actually signing up. I'm beginning to think the Facebook groups are people who are more curious than anything and not actually needing daycare. I'm looking forward to the suggestions other may have!
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by VacationLand Daycare:
Hi Everyone! My daycare unfortunately just lost our only full time family and the loss of income was a shock. DCM unexpectedly had to leave the state and won't be coming back.

Anyway, I was wondering how everyone advertises to get new families to come check out your daycare? I feel like I am advertising in every way I can, but still get hardly any people to come check us out.

Some information about where I advertise: Craigslist, Facebook Groups, Business Facebook, Website, and Local Bulletin Boards

I always put our full time rate in the ads because we are the lowest price I've seen in our area. I also add pictures of the daycare set up. I get many comments about how nice our set up is, but hardly any follow though.

When I first opened and was trying to establish a reputation in my community, I tried all the methods you listed above.

Now that I have been in business for many years, I no longer advertise and simply get new clients through word of mouth from current clients. They also keep my wait list FULL.

I'd continue trying Facebook, Craig's List and local business bulletin boards. Also spread the word....have your current clients tell others...I'd also consider offering a referral discount for any new families you gain from current families.

Word of warning when dealing with referral bonuses though is make sure the family that is new stays for X amount of time before giving the current family any kind of "bonus" for the referral.
Whatever17 11:02 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I first opened and was trying to establish a reputation in my community, I tried all the methods you listed above.

Now that I have been in business for many years, I no longer advertise and simply get new clients through word of mouth from current clients. They also keep my wait list FULL.

I'd continue trying Facebook, Craig's List and local business bulletin boards. Also spread the word....have your current clients tell others...I'd also consider offering a referral discount for any new families you gain from current families.

Word of warning when dealing with referral bonuses though is make sure the family that is new stays for X amount of time before giving the current family any kind of "bonus" for the referral.
How much of a discount would you offer for a referral? I currently charge $175 per week for full time. How long should the new family be enrolled before the bonus is given, in your opinion?
Blackcat31 11:08 AM 05-12-2016
How much of a discount would you offer for a referral? I currently charge $175 per week for full time. How long should the new family be enrolled before the bonus is given, in your opinion?
IF I were to give a referral bonus, I would do NO more than what is equal to a day's fee per child.

If current family refers a family with 3 kids, I'd give the current family ($35 x 3) but ONLY AFTER the new family stays a minimum of 60 days.

I'd also consider maybe giving sign in bonuses...if there is lots of competition for child care kids in your area... Maybe 25% off a week of care (AFTER the trial period) etc.

I don't know, I'm lucky in that there is a huge need for care here so families looking are usually pretty serious since it's hard to find space.

I wouldn't give out too many discounts or bonuses though as that's just giving your services away but I'd absolutely consider doing something like that though (if its tough to get kids) just to get your name out there and make others notice you!
Whatever17 11:16 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
IF I were to give a referral bonus, I would do NO more than what is equal to a day's fee per child.

If current family refers a family with 3 kids, I'd give the current family ($35 x 3) but ONLY AFTER the new family stays a minimum of 60 days.

I'd also consider maybe giving sign in bonuses...if there is lots of competition for child care kids in your area... Maybe 25% off a week of care (AFTER the trial period) etc.

I don't know, I'm lucky in that there is a huge need for care here so families looking are usually pretty serious since it's hard to find space.

I wouldn't give out too many discounts or bonuses though as that's just giving your services away but I'd absolutely consider doing something like that though (if its tough to get kids) just to get your name out there and make others notice you!
Unfortunately, My area is the exact opposite if yours! We are over saturated with home daycare's, with 15-20 in a 3 mile radius. Not all of them advertise, though. We seem to be the one that advertises the most!

I like the idea of the referral bonus being given after the new family is with us a while. Thanks for your help!
LysesKids 11:35 AM 05-12-2016
Unfortunately, My area is the exact opposite if yours! We are over saturated with home daycare's, with 15-20 in a 3 mile radius. Not all of them advertise, though. We seem to be the one that advertises the most!

I like the idea of the referral bonus being given after the new family is with us a while. Thanks for your help!
See, I get the over saturation thing lol... same here, however the ones who aren't filling spots are the low charging providers. I offer specialty care & have very few spaces so I charge middle ground.

Are you on the food program? If not maybe get yourself a sponsor & have them list you as a provider that offers nutritious meals - they do that here; they even show you the map when a parent puts in a Zip so they can see where the provider is. Just a thought.
lovemydaycare0912 11:01 AM 05-12-2016

Another way I advertise is Instagram. I am able to friend anyone my area with children. Sometimes I message people who are about to give birth and/or asking about daycare. It has landed me one client. I pay to advertise with Facebook. I have business cards I am constantly giving out. Word of mouth. When I go to the nail salon, the owners are always telling someone I have a daycare. Post fliers in your local grocery store's bulletin board. Fliers at local libraries. Call your local dcf department and see if you can give them your information. I don't post my rates. Mine are in the middle. I do post what I offer, and how I stand out. I post pics of what we do with the kids. Best wishes on filling up soon!
Whatever17 11:19 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Another way I advertise is Instagram. I am able to friend anyone my area with children. Sometimes I message people who are about to give birth and/or asking about daycare. It has landed me one client. I pay to advertise with Facebook. I have business cards I am constantly giving out. Word of mouth. When I go to the nail salon, the owners are always telling someone I have a daycare. Post fliers in your local grocery store's bulletin board. Fliers at local libraries. Call your local dcf department and see if you can give them your information. I don't post my rates. Mine are in the middle. I do post what I offer, and how I stand out. I post pics of what we do with the kids. Best wishes on filling up soon!
Can you give me some more information about Instagram? I am totally unfamiliar with it! All I know about it is that you can post pictures. Do you sign up as your business name or your real name?
lovemydaycare0912 07:07 PM 05-12-2016
Can you give me some more information about Instagram? I am totally unfamiliar with it! All I know about it is that you can post pictures. Do you sign up as your business name or your real name?
Yes I can PM me. I use my business name. Also, my state has a 211 website where I am listed as a provider. See if your state does something similar.
Unregistered 04:10 AM 05-13-2016
Magnetic car sign.....vista print. Very cute choices. Mine was only about $12.00 three years ago. They are large and readable!

If you are in a low income area you would get the highest reimbursement from the food program. The food program makes good financial sense. I know some don't want to hassle with it but I'd never run a fdc without it.
lovemydaycare0912 04:46 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Magnetic car sign.....vista print. Very cute choices. Mine was only about $12.00 three years ago. They are large and readable!

If you are in a low income area you would get the highest reimbursement from the food program. The food program makes good financial sense. I know some don't want to hassle with it but I'd never run a fdc without it.
I agree. That check I get from the food program is fabulous. Plus a lot of places here don't provide food. We may have to fill out daily forms, but its not that bad.
Tags:advertise, advertising, advertising ideas
Reply Up