Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Differing Nap Schedules
Unregistered 06:26 PM 08-21-2017
Hello!

I currently have three babies in care (including my own) all around 9 months old and they all take two hour-long naps. One at 10am and one at 2pm. For the afternoon nap, I'll let them sleep longer but one hour is the minimum.
I just had an interview for a 15 month old. Her mother said that she only takes one nap per day, from 12-1pm so that she will sleep through the night. I let her know our current nap schedule and she said that I could transition her to the 10am nap. I would like her to take two naps with the other kids. I feel like she would be exhausted and cranky by 2pm. What would you do in this situation? I definitely need them all sleeping together at some time during the day for my own sanity!

Thanks in advance!
storybookending 06:31 PM 08-21-2017
I would just keep the child at the one nap and suck it up for a few months until the others are ready to transition to one nap. Most kids I know transition shortly before or after their first birthday. No sense in going backwards and giving the child two naps again.
Unregistered 06:54 PM 08-21-2017
Really? I thought kids usually took two naps until age 2! I'm a new provider and have only had the babies. Would you say it's a good idea to move the afternoon nap up if I can?
rosieteddy 06:57 PM 08-21-2017
I would push the 9 month olds to 9am-10am.Then back down after lunch for everyone say 1-3+.I always transitioned 12 month olds to 1 nap after lunch.
storybookending 07:03 PM 08-21-2017
All but one of my children in care are on a one nap schedule. They all go down at noon. Everyone sleeps past 1:30PM every day. Often times everyone is still sleeping at 2PM. Today one didn't come out of the nap room until 3PM.

The center I worked at switched all children to one nap within month 12, shortly after their birthday.

Is the child currently in another daycare? Will they be having to get up earlier and change routines when they start at your house? If she's not used to daycare you might be able to get her down earlier if being around other kids isn't something she's used to and it tires her out a bit more. 10AM just seems so early for a child only taking one nap.
Unregistered 07:27 PM 08-21-2017
Yes! I thought 10am for one nap would make for a horrible afternoon. The 15 month old has been cared for by her grandmother until now. I feel like one of my current babies could actually switch to one nap. She has been a difficult napper for some time. The other two still need both naps.

My new schedule may look like this:
7:30 arrivals
8:00 breakfast (cereal/fruit)
9:30 AM nap for kids who need it
10:00 AM snack
11:00 bottles
12:00 lunch (jarred food/finger foods)
1:00 PM nap (all kids down)
3:00 bottles
4:00 PM snack
5-5:30 Child Pick Up

It looks like all they will do is eat! haha

Anyone see anything I should change?
storybookending 07:33 PM 08-21-2017
Give it a try and tweek when necessary. Each group is different. The group I had 6 months ago is so different than the group I have now and they are all the same kids! They grow and change so fast.
storybookending 07:35 PM 08-21-2017
I do think they may be eating too much. I don't offer breakfast as a part of my program. Just an AM snack, lunch and a PM snack.
Unregistered 07:44 PM 08-21-2017
Thanks for the advice!
storybookending 08:17 PM 08-21-2017
No problem. I don't know how you can handle 3 under a year, props to you. I'd surely go insane. I can't wait until my current 9 month old is a bit older. We are going to be a baby free house for quite awhile and I am so looking forward to it. My current 9 month old was that baby that took 35 minute naps every 1.5-2hours. He wasn't even cranky in between the naps it just got exhausting. He's finally taking two decent naps. Sometimes he needs that 3rd nap yet if the first two weren't the best.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:20 PM 08-21-2017
I would say no for a few reasons.

First, grandma has been caring for her and she only naps one hour a day, which even that could be an exageration. That may be one hour while grandma rocks her in the chair. Ime, she may have nap issues and need to be sleep trained.

Second, 9 months old is a lot younger. Not really, but in terms of their day to day, they can be quite different. I dont do one nap till closer to 14-16 months, so that would mean dealing with one child (who may or may not have nap issues) for a good 5+ months while the others mature into one nap.

Personally, I would look for a baby closer in age, but you can always do a trial period and if its not happeing, move on! best of luck to you!!
flying_babyb 09:22 PM 08-21-2017
I work with 1 year olds in a center. our room usually had ones and a few stray 2's.
Lunch is at 11-1115 (depending on what it is)
Most of the kids are done by 1130-45. Diapers fallow and then its off to their cots. We let them nap till they wake and most don't wake till 2-230. Then its diapers and snack then outside (or art).

our babies (under 1) are on pretty much the same scheduled. Usually by 8 months ours are down to one nap a day with it being 11-2.
Leigh 09:14 AM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello!

I currently have three babies in care (including my own) all around 9 months old and they all take two hour-long naps. One at 10am and one at 2pm. For the afternoon nap, I'll let them sleep longer but one hour is the minimum.
I just had an interview for a 15 month old. Her mother said that she only takes one nap per day, from 12-1pm so that she will sleep through the night. I let her know our current nap schedule and she said that I could transition her to the 10am nap. I would like her to take two naps with the other kids. I feel like she would be exhausted and cranky by 2pm. What would you do in this situation? I definitely need them all sleeping together at some time during the day for my own sanity!

Thanks in advance!
Unless you're willing to deal with a child being awake while the others sleep, I'd advise passing on this one. Transitioning a 15 month old to 2 naps would likely be quite difficult. Mine usually do 2 naps until around 18 months, but if the child is used to 1, switching might be difficult.

The main reason I would pass is that it sounds like the parents want to rob the child of needed daytime sleep so that they can make their nights easier by putting their child to bed super early. I'm assuming that they expect you to wake their child after an hour of sleep?

I would definitely pass on this one, myself.
Mom2Two 11:14 AM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:

The main reason I would pass is that it sounds like the parents want to rob the child of needed daytime sleep so that they can make their nights easier by putting their child to bed super early. I'm assuming that they expect you to wake their child after an hour of sleep?

I would definitely pass on this one, myself.
That was my first thought too. I think it may be that the parents want to put the child to bed earlier, which would make me wonder if the parents like spending time with their children. Or does it interrupt their TV watching too much?

However, it is also quite common for one year olds to be waking up in the night. We dealt with it by going to bed earlier ourselves and just doing some training at night when the kids were waking up too much.

Let the children nap when it's good for the child. I always thought most went to one nap by 18 months, then it seems to get to be a bit later til they're napping in the afternoons only. My two three year olds don't nap til about 2pm coz otherwise they are not tired enough to fall asleep.

Maybe ask what the child's normal night schedule is to try to find out what's going on at home.
storybookending 11:18 AM 08-22-2017
Oh yeah I would like to add if they expect you to wake the child after napping only an hour that would be a red flag for sure. I will never wake a napping child, never.
Ariana 06:23 PM 08-22-2017
Parents come to me with all sorts of ideas but in the end I do what is best for me, my program and the child.

I have two 16-17month olds who still take two naps a day. They need it. One of them does not get it at home and I have zero clue how this child lasts until a 1pm nap because he is exhausted at my house by 11am if he doesn't get a morning cat nap.
Unregistered 09:01 PM 08-22-2017
I appreciate all the responses! I decided not to accept this family. I didn't even mention to you all that the DCM said she was about to start potty training to save money on diapers...I got so many red flags during this interview and I'm glad you all confirmed my initial thoughts and that I'm not being overly critical. Thanks!
knoxmomof2 03:26 AM 08-23-2017
Good choice on passing! I would have recommended you pass as well - on the basis that they are trying to control your schedule (and possibly shorting the child on sleep - which you have to deal with).

I have my first full time rate family, but he is the half-sibling of my first daycare child ever, so I didn't have policies for them since working with the Mom went so well the first time. Well, Dad is a PITA at times and decided I should keep the baby on 2 naps a day even though I had planned to move him to the big kid schedule at a year. Funny thing is, he was out for a 3 day weekend and returned today with comments about how he was off schedule all weekend, etc! So, I'm supposed to follow their schedule, but they don't have to!? I'm tolerating it for now because there are enough incentives in the schedule for me to do so, but the minute it becomes an issue, I will be letting them know that it has to change.

The child will nap 2x a day, but he'll also make it to a late nap with no fussiness. I know, because we do pool time on Fridays and he is on the big kid schedule for that.
Tags:nap schedule
Reply Up