Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Some Questions
Jimmy 06:51 PM 05-21-2010
Hello all, I’m new here and thought I drop a line and ask some questions.

I’m thinking of pursing a career in the daycare industry basically starting my own little daycare up at our place. I’m thinking about going and taking some college class before I start this so it’s awhile off.

Would a Guy have a problem in this industry finding clients?

I live on a 40 acre ranch/farm would like to offer interaction with the farm animals and the big veggie garden we raise on site. Do you think most parents would be okay with this?

Do you think it would be a problem if I offered boys or girls only day care? Was thinking of offering one or the other and be able to set up different themes for the kids.

I know I have some more questions but none our coming to mind right now.
Daycare Mommy 10:32 AM 05-22-2010
With the whole 40 acres farm/ranch deal, have you thought of doing daycamps / classes? You could have playgroups, homeschoolers, etc coming through. You could do classes on gardening, animal husbandry, riding lessons/pony rides (if you have any), etc. A barn near me does this and they charge $40 / kid for 6 hrs. Much better rates than the going rate for daycare here which is about $25 for 10 hrs. You could use that as a springboard to getting to know the parents and signing on clients for a daycare if that is still what you want to do. I don't see the point in only girls or only boys though. Why couldn't boys and girls use the same themes?
MarinaVanessa 12:14 PM 05-22-2010
I agree! What fun! I guess if you wanted to do boys only it would be great but I have to say that if it's just you as staff and you did a all girls only daycare in the middle of 40 acres I don't think too many people would be inclined to be a client lmao!

Mannies are popular (male nannies) with people that have male children because it offers them the chance to bond with a male role model. Also I know ALOT of single dads with boys that would probably feel better in having their boy at a DC with a male head figure. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same in your area.

I think that limiting yourself to just one sex would be just that ... limiting. If you to the whole gardening, husbandry etc that would be so inticing to both little girls and boys and appealing to parents (I know I would be interested). My hunny and I are looking for a home in my area on a LARGE lot for this same purpose. I want to do a lot of gardening, animal care-taking (maybe some hens and have the kids get the eggs), not to mention all of the room for playground equipment. I think it's a great idea. You can also always hire a female staff member to even things out if people are slow to sign up and hesitant because it's a man. I mean really ... I'm amazed at how many people think that a man can't be trusted to watch a child. It's like they think that only women are nurturing . One of the reasons that my clients love bringing their kids here is because my hunny helps out ALOT with the kiddos and does more projects that have to do with building things (birdhouses, small doghouse, and even just giving them a bunch of little pieces of wood, some nails and small hammers and having them build their own "whatever"). Don't freak out people, yes they use hammers but they also wear gloves, safety glasses and are supervised by the both of us when they do . It'll be interesting to hear what you decide to do.
originalkat 07:32 PM 05-22-2010
I live in the midwest and I know some parents around these parts are still a little leary of men in the childcare field. When I lived in San Diego it was more well received. I think men offer a lot to the early childhood environment, however, depending on where you live there may be different levels of acceptance.

I do not think "girls or boys only" has a place in an early childhood setting. There really is no benefit to this because at this age the children are interested in the same things.

I do LOVE the acreage and garden/exposure to animals etc... that is just WONDERFUL! I think many parents would be interested in that aspect of the program as long as your property is not too far out. It still needs to be covenient for parents to drop off/pick up.
QualiTcare 07:50 PM 05-22-2010
i wouldn't do girls or boys only - it just sounds weird. plus, it could deter clients who have more than one child - which i think the majority of people do.

i think for the most part, people are suspicious about guys in childcare. there was a man who worked at the daycare my kids went to, but he worked with the school age kids. a lot of the male parents would ask me, "what's up with THAT!" they thought it was creepy.

i think if you have a wife, or at least a female partner doing it with you then it would make a big difference. i'm not saying it's RIGHT - just my opinion. i can't say i'd be totally comfortable leaving my kids with a man, but then again, i don't let them stay with family members other than grandparents. it sounds bad, but that's the way things are. how many people would hire a woman to repair their roof or seal their driveway? same concept.
jen 11:56 AM 05-24-2010
My son had a male daycare provider, it was my friends husband so maybe that contributed to my comfort zone, but he did have other clients and it didn't seem to be a problem.
Unregistered 03:36 PM 05-25-2010
I think if you hired a female assistant that would be helpful. My husband ran my daycare for a month after I had my baby (who is 4 now) and he was great at it! The kids never took such great naps! LOL! But I do think there is a stigma out there against male child care providers, which is too bad, maybe it's because there are a lot of Dads out there who aren't making the cut so Mom's are cynical.

Best of luck!
QualiTcare 08:06 PM 05-25-2010
i think the main people who would have an issue with it would be women who were sexually abused, inappropriately touched - whatever - when they were young. that's what, 1 in 4 - that we know of?

my kids aren't allowed to stay at friend's houses, aunt's and uncle's houses - nowhere except grandma & grandpa's. they did go to daycare in the past, but it was female workers. i would've been uncomfortable with a male. i've just seen and heard too much personally. my husband feels the same way partly because of what i've told him about my own experiences.

i worked at a school a couple years ago where this "man" (he was like 21) worked in an after school program. he creeped me OUT the way he interacted with those girls. there was a 5th grader who was the prettiest girl in the program probably, and she reached in his pocket and got his cell phone out of is front pocket and he giggled as he "fought" her - not. that's an issue IMO. THEN, i saw him looking at pics on his phone and she was on there! he'd let her sit on his lap when they'd watch movies. it was weird.

i DON'T think that every male teacher, child care provider, etc. is a creep -
i'm just sayin - there's a stigma with a good part of the population and those people usually have a good reason for being skeptical.

i think it would help to have a female co-worker, but that's just my opinion of course.
originalkat 07:36 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i think the main people who would have an issue with it would be women who were sexually abused, inappropriately touched - whatever - when they were young. that's what, 1 in 4 - that we know of?

my kids aren't allowed to stay at friend's houses, aunt's and uncle's houses - nowhere except grandma & grandpa's. they did go to daycare in the past, but it was female workers. i would've been uncomfortable with a male. i've just seen and heard too much personally. my husband feels the same way partly because of what i've told him about my own experiences.

i worked at a school a couple years ago where this "man" (he was like 21) worked in an after school program. he creeped me OUT the way he interacted with those girls. there was a 5th grader who was the prettiest girl in the program probably, and she reached in his pocket and got his cell phone out of is front pocket and he giggled as he "fought" her - not. that's an issue IMO. THEN, i saw him looking at pics on his phone and she was on there! he'd let her sit on his lap when they'd watch movies. it was weird.

i DON'T think that every male teacher, child care provider, etc. is a creep -
i'm just sayin - there's a stigma with a good part of the population and those people usually have a good reason for being skeptical.

i think it would help to have a female co-worker, but that's just my opinion of course.
That was totally inappropriate behavior from that "man". I would have reported all of it to the Director.
Tags:start a daycare
Reply Up