Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Prog Changes
MsMe 11:05 AM 07-18-2011
We have a manditory Food Program training tonight. It will also be time to pick up new materials for renewal....oh how I hate making the parents fill out the same thing every year.

A letter we got with our summaries this month said we are switching from 2% to skim or 1%. No big deal....it will actualy save me soe money!

THEN I saw:
cheetos are creditable

They said there would be LOTS of changes this year but CHEETOS?!?!?!?!

Ill let you know if we can just feed the kids fruitloops all day after I get home tonight
Meeko 12:02 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
We have a manditory Food Program training tonight. It will also be time to pick up new materials for renewal....oh how I hate making the parents fill out the same thing every year.

A letter we got with our summaries this month said we are switching from 2% to skim or 1%. No big deal....it will actualy save me soe money!

THEN I saw:
cheetos are creditable

Ill let you know if we can just feed the kids fruitloops all day after I get home tonight
Cheetos = cheese
Fruit Loops = fruit
chocolate = dairy

nannyde 12:07 PM 07-18-2011

THEN I saw:
cheetos are creditable

I think Doritos are too.

It is because of the powerful corn industry.
familyschoolcare 12:22 PM 07-18-2011
I agree with Nannyde the corn industry is very powerful right now.

Just because it can be fed does not mean it has to be.

If a corn chip is made from pure corn then it should be allowed, how is it any different from a corn tortilla?
My Daycare 12:27 PM 07-18-2011

MsMe 01:25 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I think Doritos are too.

It is because of the powerful corn industry.
yes, Fritos corn chip, Doritos, Tostitos, and sun chips

those items will NOT be on my menues.
PeanutsGalore 02:44 PM 07-18-2011
What's really sad is that being on the food program can be made to sound like such an awesome selling point for some day care centers. I wonder what the parents would say if they knew cheetos were allowed?

Nevermind. Some of them would probably demand cheetos, doritos, applejacks and fruit loops for every snack!
wdmmom 03:18 PM 07-18-2011
The day I give kids cheetos, fritos and doritos will be the day the parents are paying me a lot more than they are now! I'd much rather spend $2.00 on 8 apples that'll last me a couple days than $2.00 on a bag of chips that'll be gone in 20 seconds!

Price in comparison to the weight of the actual product is what deters me! You want corn, than corn we shall have...would you like regular corn, creamed corn or corn on the cob?!
PitterPatter 03:29 PM 07-18-2011
We also had the change for the milk. As for the Cheetos and other chips no way can we serve those.

The Food program must vary state to state. I see differences all the time.
Meeko 05:40 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
We also had the change for the milk. As for the Cheetos and other chips no way can we serve those.

The Food program must vary state to state. I see differences all the time.
It's supposed to be a federal program...but I too see a lot of difference in how each state implements it.
AnythingsPossible 06:15 AM 07-19-2011
I have served Frito's with chili, Tortilla Chips with Salsa, and Dorito's with Taco Salad. Not frequently, but occasionally we have utililized them.
DCMom 06:15 AM 07-19-2011
Nothing surprises me anymore.

I thought the same thing when they allowed PopTarts.

I take it Cheetos fit on Grains section of 'My Plate'? Next it will be Fruit Snacks in the "Fruit" section...
MsMe 06:21 AM 07-19-2011
the first thing she did at the training lastnight was hold up four bags...a preschol and gradeschool searving of both puffed and crunchy cheetos. I nearly fell off of my chair. It was hard to take anything else she had to say serious for the rest of the meeting.

oh ya and another change is going to be that you are only allowed to serve processed meat once a week....BUT NOT TO FEAR TO THE CHEETO LOVERS CHICKEN NUGGETS STILL COUNT AS CREDIBLE (ie not a processed meat)

I am not normaly one to jump on teh dooms day wagon....but ladies this has to me the end of times.
heyhun77 01:20 PM 07-19-2011
There may be even more changes coming than what you heard about last night. The revised guidelines that are on their way to be rolled out including requiring a protein to be served at breakfast.

There is A LOT of variation from sponsor to sponsor. The USDA puts out the guidelines and then each sponsor implements their own version which can be stricter than the USDA policy. Thus why some limit serving juice, sugared cereals, processed foods, ect.

Ideally I'd like to see all the processed stuff gone from the credible list. The program I'm on already doesn't allow fish sticks and chicken nuggets, even CN labeled ones because it's unreasonable to expect a 3-5 year old to eat the large number that constitutes a serving of protein with either of those products.
MsMe 01:25 PM 07-19-2011
yes, we heard about the protien at Breakfast as well.

Funny my food program made it a BOG point to tell us chicken nuggets were still credible ....not even counted as a processed meat.
wdmmom 01:28 PM 07-19-2011
Just because they allow it doesn't mean you have to serve it. Continue doing what you are doing and advertise that to potential clients...only good home cooked meals served here! Clients will be able to tell where their child will benefit most from...the cheeto, frito, and dorito provider or the roast, salmon, steak provider.
SilverSabre25 01:34 PM 07-19-2011
yes, we heard about the protien at Breakfast as well.

Funny my food program made it a BOG point to tell us chicken nuggets were still credible ....not even counted as a processed meat.
This is the second time today I've gone looking for an applause smiley!

I am really happy to hear that they are going to require a protein with breakfast!!! Now if only they will acknowledge that liquid milk is NOT the Holy Grail of drinks and count yogurt, cottage cheese, etc in the "milk" category. THEN I might be willing to become certified in my state and get on the FP.

Or even better--if they start requiring water to be drank in addition to other options, or water must be offered before any other drink, or something. I think a lot of problems stem from chronic dehydration or just inadequate hydration.
familyschoolcare 01:45 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This is the second time today I've gone looking for an applause smiley!

I am really happy to hear that they are going to require a protein with breakfast!!! Now if only they will acknowledge that liquid milk is NOT the Holy Grail of drinks and count yogurt, cottage cheese, etc in the "milk" category. THEN I might be willing to become certified in my state and get on the FP.

Or even better--if they start requiring water to be drank in addition to other options, or water must be offered before any other drink, or something. I think a lot of problems stem from chronic dehydration or just inadequate hydration.
I do not think the food program will stop requiring liquid milk. The food program is federal governmental program, run with federal money. The federal government subsidies the dairy farmers. The federal government also regulates the price of milk.
SilverSabre25 01:47 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by joynerportia@yahoo:
I do not think the food program will stop requiring liquid milk. The food program is federal governmental program, run with federal money. The federal government subsidies the dairy farmers. The federal government also regulates the price of milk.
but I can dream, can't I?
Tags:food program
Reply Up