Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Way To Reduce Numbers
MsMe 12:17 PM 08-30-2011
I need advice on possibly reducing my numbers from 16 to 8.

My partner needs to take a leave of absence. We are 'C' providers in Iowa. I am lead provider and am allowed to have 8 by myself.

I have 6 full timers and the rest are a mix of 3 day PT.

It would be easiest to say I am only keeping full timers and I will need everyone to be full time to keep me 'in the black'. That leaves 2 spots open. I do not want to fill these spots with new children as I am almost possitive this will turn into a full shut down sometime after the new year. I am willing to fill these spots with 2 of my part timers.

I already have in my head who I would 'want' to stay, but I don't know if it is fair to just pick one over the other.

Also how do you break the news? Here are the ideas I have had:

*sealed letter handed to everyone, two differnt letters who stays and who is out.

*ask all parents to an after hours meeting

*ask only the family I can keep to a meeting (hard bc many parents work together and would wonder why they were left out of a meeting0

p.s. I have never called any type of DCP meeting so that would be a red flag. I have in the pst sent out letters to parents both sealed and unsealed. anytiem I need to remind a parent who isnt following contract I send out a letter to everyone...refresher and I don't single anyone out.

Either way I would not be telling anyone about future plans to close. As there are many plans to put in place and it is at earliest 6 months away and possibly longer (house can not go on the market for 6 mo and then how long to sell..)

Any advice is welcome and very much needed.
MsMe 12:19 PM 08-30-2011
Also I have no doubt the families I have room for will stay.

I know I can never say 100% but I have little worry about being able to saty 'full' through this.
KEG123 12:24 PM 08-30-2011
Can you find a sub instead?
MsMe 12:27 PM 08-30-2011
That is another possible solution, I have not had good luck with them in the past.

I am looking into it, but reducing feels like it would be less stress on me and the kids.
nannyde 01:28 PM 08-30-2011
Have you thought about raising rates?

This would be a way to weed people out and have them leave of their own accord. That would make it possible for you not to have to choose and for there to be no discussions about the business changing.

20 dollars a week or so???????
wdmmom 01:57 PM 08-30-2011
What about the general "downsizing" letter. One letter saying you will need to find alternate care, the other letter saying that only full time children may continue care.
laundrymom 02:25 PM 08-30-2011
Its none of any ones business who or why you pick someone. Pick your favs Just tell the ones you are terming that your downsizing You hope they understand and wish them luck. If they ask why them just tell them you evaluated all the kids, and made the best decision for the group.
MsMe 02:25 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
What about the general "downsizing" letter. One letter saying you will need to find alternate care, the other letter saying that only full time children may continue care.
This would work

but I still need to keep teo PT kids.

So it is not complety black and white. How do I explain what PT family I keep and let go.
MsMe 02:27 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Have you thought about raising rates?

This would be a way to weed people out and have them leave of their own accord. That would make it possible for you not to have to choose and for there to be no discussions about the business changing.

20 dollars a week or so???????

I dont want to rick losing the full time kids I have to keep (I need to keep ALL of my full timers)

Aslo what if everyone-or most agree to the price increase? Then I am, still at square one.
nannyde 02:43 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I dont want to rick losing the full time kids I have to keep (I need to keep ALL of my full timers)

Aslo what if everyone-or most agree to the price increase? Then I am, still at square one.
If you raise everyone four dollars a day you will have enough money to pay someone really well to be your co provider.

If you want to keep the full timers just keep those six and the four or so part timers that fit into the schedule opposite of each other. You can be a C1 and just have eight full time kids by yourself. You can carry eight a day as long as no more than three are under the age of 18 months.

If you don't want to raise rates on the full timers than just raise them on the part timers and see who agrees. Keep the highest paying kids with the best schedule.
Unregistered 02:49 PM 08-30-2011
I suggest you hire help. Maybe two part time helpers. Keep everyone and let numbers decrease natural. What is your reason for down sizing?

If you have no choice but to down size, then I would find alternate care or suggestions for alternate care for the kids you let go- Also a great way to help out other daycare providers that are struggling to pull in kids. Networking. this way your not leaving these families clueless. IF your planning to close all together, let your parents know. Some parents want there children in care that they can grow in and have the same little friends into school.

I will be curious to see how this turns out for you.
Pammie 06:20 PM 08-30-2011
Years ago I had to downsize my group. This is how I handled it:

*Talked privately to each of the parents that I wanted to keep. I told them that in 4 weeks I would be downsizing my group, that I really enjoyed working with them, and hoped that they would like to stay on. But realizing that this downsizing would change the overall daycare that they and their child were used to, I was giving them first option to stay or not. (They all wanted to stay) I did ask for each of them not to discuss this with any other families until I had a chance to speak with each family individually. (They all agreed - and all stayed)

*Then I looked at my part-timers, and which ones had schedules that I wanted to continue, and which families I *wanted* to continue to work with. I had the same conversation with them - basically telling them that some families would have to leave, and I was giving them first option to stay. I requested the same confidentiality. Again, all the families that I spoke with wanted to keep their spots.

*Once I had my roster secure - I talked with the remaining families and told them simply that I was downsizing, and unfortunately, I was giving them 4-week notice. I did offer them #s of other providers that I knew had openings. I didn't offer any extra explanation - nor did any ask why some were staying and others weren't given that option. Even the families that stayed, never asked why they were offered the spot over others.

Personally I would avoid any kind of a parent meeting about this. Just talk with the parents one-on-one...and perhaps hand them a letter with the same information.

Good luck.
MsMe 07:15 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I suggest you hire help. Maybe two part time helpers. Keep everyone and let numbers decrease natural. What is your reason for down sizing?

If you have no choice but to down size, then I would find alternate care or suggestions for alternate care for the kids you let go- Also a great way to help out other daycare providers that are struggling to pull in kids. Networking. this way your not leaving these families clueless. IF your planning to close all together, let your parents know. Some parents want there children in care that they can grow in and have the same little friends into school.

I will be curious to see how this turns out for you.
I have had other assistants in the past that have not worked out. I am willing to work with a provider friend that is curious to see if she would want to take over the Daycare from me. This is the only 'helper' sittuation I am concidering at this time.

I agree with givign them options and help findign care. I will provide a few numbers and CCR&R numbers. I don't know any providers in my area who are not full but hopefully they can help direct them to even more providers.

I have had all of my current kids since birth I have not filled a spot from outside of my care for more than five years. All are sibling groups (some with a SA sibling) If I plan to close I will give them proper notice but i will npt give them 6+ months.
MsMe 07:19 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Years ago I had to downsize my group. This is how I handled it:

*Talked privately to each of the parents that I wanted to keep. I told them that in 4 weeks I would be downsizing my group, that I really enjoyed working with them, and hoped that they would like to stay on. But realizing that this downsizing would change the overall daycare that they and their child were used to, I was giving them first option to stay or not. (They all wanted to stay) I did ask for each of them not to discuss this with any other families until I had a chance to speak with each family individually. (They all agreed - and all stayed)

*Then I looked at my part-timers, and which ones had schedules that I wanted to continue, and which families I *wanted* to continue to work with. I had the same conversation with them - basically telling them that some families would have to leave, and I was giving them first option to stay. I requested the same confidentiality. Again, all the families that I spoke with wanted to keep their spots.

*Once I had my roster secure - I talked with the remaining families and told them simply that I was downsizing, and unfortunately, I was giving them 4-week notice. I did offer them #s of other providers that I knew had openings. I didn't offer any extra explanation - nor did any ask why some were staying and others weren't given that option. Even the families that stayed, never asked why they were offered the spot over others.

Personally I would avoid any kind of a parent meeting about this. Just talk with the parents one-on-one...and perhaps hand them a letter with the same information.

Good luck.
Thank you fo advice. I just fear that parents would talk....so I am happy to hear that it worked out for you. I am also very happy to hear that no one bothered you about why. I hope if it comes to this I can have to same results.
Tags:reducing spots
Reply Up