Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking for The Perfect Cold and Flu Letter
daycare 09:10 AM 10-26-2016
It's already that time of year to send out the lovely reminder of the cold/flu letters.

Hoping that all of us working together can create the perfect letter.

what is yours?
Ariana 10:01 AM 10-26-2016
Hello Everyone,
Cold and flu season is upon us I thought I would take some time out to remind everyone of my sickness policy. Please keep this handy for reference throughout the year. When my own children get sick I will text you and let you know. I will leave it up to your discretion as to whether or not you want to send your own child (if the daycare remains open).
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter and hopefully we can keep everyone as healthy as possible! ~ Ariana

Child Illness
For the health and safety of your child and all of the children in our daycare, please do not bring your child to daycare sick. I can only care for children with mild cold like symptoms that are otherwise feeling and acting well. Mild cold like symptoms are clear runny nose, slight cough, no fever and acting normally. If you are not sure if your child should be brought to daycare, then please call and check with us. If a child becomes ill during daycare hours the parents will be contacted to pick up their child. Parents need to pick up their children within one hour of being notified. If parents are not available, the emergency contact person will be notified. Note: Once the child is removed from daycare due to illness, they may not return to daycare until symptoms requiring removal are no longer present. The child must also be void of any contagious disease, unless accompanied by a doctor’s note stating the illness in question is not contagious, and the child is otherwise feeling well enough to participate in our daily schedule. Parents agree to keep their child home if he/she has exhibited the following symptoms in the night or in the morning: Vomiting, diarrhea (more than just once), a fever (even if it is low grade), general malaise, a rash, or has any contagious diseases such as pink eye, chicken pox, impetigo, strep throat, head lice, etc. Children should also remain at home the first 48 hours following their first dose of antibiotics.

Guidelines for Children Requiring Exclusion from Daycare
A child with any of the following illnesses must be completely free of any symptoms before returning to daycare. If the child is taking antibiotics for an illness, the child may return to daycare after the initial 48 hours of beginning antibiotics as long as he or she has no fever (under 37.3 C under the arm), no longer contagious, and is otherwise feeling well enough to participate in our daily schedule. Signs of illness include the following; unusual lethargy, irritability, persistent crying for no reason, runny nose (more than clear), cough (more than slight), difficulty breathing, diarrhea, vomiting, mouth sores, rashes (note from doctor stating non-contagious is ok), pink eye, chicken pox, mumps, measles, roseola, hepatitis A, impetigo, lice, ringworm, scabies, strep throat, scarlet fever, tuberculosis, shingles, and any other contagious disease or rash. Any child with a fever of 37.3 C or above, orally (in the mouth), or auxiliary (under the arm), may not attend daycare. At XXX Childcare, we make it a good practice to notify parents of children who have been exposed to certain contagious diseases. Therefore, to keep in line with our illness policies and to respect the health and wellness of other families in our care, please notify us if your child becomes infected, so a note can be posted. Furthermore, please notify the daycare if the child has been ill since the last day of care. This includes bumps and bruises as well as illness.

Medications
Children are not given any medication without the parents’ written consent. Written consent may only be given on a “Permission to Administer Medications” form, and all medications must be in their original bottles with original labels. For prescription medication, only the directions on the bottle will be accepted for administering the medication. In all instances the Caregiver will also need to know when the child received his/her last dosage of the medication, to ensure medication is given appropriately. Children are not to be brought to daycare with cold medications. If a child is sick enough for cold medications they are too sick to be at daycard.

childcaremom 10:41 AM 10-26-2016
I do the same as Ariana. Send home a short letter outlining my expectations, that parents need to monitor for symptoms, highlighting the 24/48 rule and that I don't accept children with OTC meds on board. I also attach my illness policy.
Cat Herder 11:04 AM 10-26-2016
I go to CDC.GOV and order the free fliers, posters and brochures for childcare providers.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/freeresources...-childcare.htm
jenboo 11:22 AM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I do the same as Ariana. Send home a short letter outlining my expectations, that parents need to monitor for symptoms, highlighting the 24/48 rule and that I don't accept children with OTC meds on board. I also attach my illness policy.
How do you explain the 25/48 hr rule to parents?
Cat Herder 11:41 AM 10-26-2016
The explanation is still under the 24/48 hour tags below (from back in May).
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
How do you explain the 25/48 hr rule to parents?
Taken from a couple other threads about 24/48 hour rule:

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I explain that parents have a greater responsibility to make sure their child is healthy enough to attend childcare. If one parent brings their child in and infects others, it effects the entire extended family of our closely knit group.

I explain that it is their responsibility to look their child over in the mornings and use their best judgement. I then tell them that if I have to be the one to send their child home, there will be an additional day added to their exclusion to allow me time to disinfect and more closely monitor the rest of the group once they have been exposed.

The simple fact is they all keep them home more often than I would to make sure they are not "that" parent the rest of the group resents. Peer pressure, my friends. I send home a kid about once a year.
This is how I do it now. If a parent keeps their child home, 24 hour symptom free before returning to care. If a child becomes ill while in care, 48 hour symptom free before returning to care.

Puts the onus on the parents to monitor their child.

This is how I explain it to parents: This policy allows me to monitor the rest of the group and sanitize before child comes back. I also explain that I implemented this this past winter as we had a lot of back and forth. Since changing to 24/48 policy, it stopped. Of course it won't prevent a child from getting ill but it def. minimizes the back and forth.

daycare 01:09 PM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I go to CDC.GOV and order the free fliers, posters and brochures for childcare providers.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/freeresources...-childcare.htm
loving these handout flier...they are awesome!

thanks ladies for chiming in here.
jenboo 02:25 PM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Taken from a couple other threads about 24/48 hour rule:
I've read those already. They mention something about how is the parents need to check the kids over in the morning and decided to keep them home yada yada.
Does anyone have an explanation for when a kisd comes into care with zero symptoms and ends up sick? This is where i get the most questions and I'm never sure how to explain it.
daycare 02:58 PM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I've read those already. They mention something about how is the parents need to check the kids over in the morning and decided to keep them home yada yada.
Does anyone have an explanation for when a kisd comes into care with zero symptoms and ends up sick? This is where i get the most questions and I'm never sure how to explain it.
For me, I think it depends on how sick.. Kids don't just all of a sudden end up super sick. If a child does turn up super sick, the parent had an idea the child was sick. So I send home for 48 hours.

If it was mild illness, or not able to participate, I leave it at 24 hours and require they call me in the morning to check in with me so I can decide if their child is well enough to attend or not.

I am not sure how others do it, this is how I do it
jenboo 04:04 PM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
For me, I think it depends on how sick.. Kids don't just all of a sudden end up super sick. If a child does turn up super sick, the parent had an idea the child was sick. So I send home for 48 hours.

If it was mild illness, or not able to participate, I leave it at 24 hours and require they call me in the morning to check in with me so I can decide if their child is well enough to attend or not.

I am not sure how others do it, this is how I do it
Thanks! That's helpful!! I've had fevers hit out of no where a few times.
childcaremom 04:36 PM 10-26-2016
I still exclude 48 hours. If it just comes on, it is probably at the beginning of an illness. Exposing others.

I don't explain anything really. During the interview, I just tell parents that my illness policy is super strict. This is the rule. It stops a lot of the back and forth. I tell them why I implemented it. Had lots of illnesses and back and forth. Changed the rule and that all stopped. I explain that I don't send home willy nilly. That I am well care only. That once I get to know a child, I can tell when they are feeling off. This is what I exclude for. And that's it.

It felt weird when I first changed the policy. Then I had the winter of sickness. My families now love this policy and keep their little ones home when they are sick or feeling off.
Ariana 07:08 PM 10-26-2016
I treat a child who gets sick with me the same as if they got sick before they came. They go home and cannot return until symptoms are gone. They must be picked up within an hour.

As for my sick policy, I sent this home last fall and a few days later ta dad drops off and says "she has diarrhea so I packed some bun cream" I told him she was not allowed into care and had to go home. I reiterated that I had JUST sent home a sick policy reminder. It has not happened since!

Enforcing rules is the only way that some parents will get it. I also have parents who love my sick policy until it effects them!
childcaremom 02:22 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I treat a child who gets sick with me the same as if they got sick before they came. They go home and cannot return until symptoms are gone. They must be picked up within an hour.

As for my sick policy, I sent this home last fall and a few days later ta dad drops off and says "she has diarrhea so I packed some bun cream" I told him she was not allowed into care and had to go home. I reiterated that I had JUST sent home a sick policy reminder. It has not happened since!

Enforcing rules is the only way that some parents will get it. I also have parents who love my sick policy until it effects them!
I had a parent at an interview tell me how much they love my policy. It is very strict, I said. Good, they said.

Week 2 they dropped off with a mention that they had given dcg some motrin. Sent them home (with a strict warning) and mom was . Sent home yesterday (week 7) for not feeling well and dcm asked if she could come back the next day. I just sent home my reminder, too. See ya Monday!

Jenboo, are you wondering how to explain it to parents? The 'why'? I tell them that it isn't meant to be punitive at all. That it puts the onus on parents to make sure that they are sending well children and helps to keep the whole group healthy. That I have a great group of parents who keep their children home when they are unwell. I always reassure that I don't just send home (in fact, I hardly ever need to send home anymore) but that it has worked wonders at stopping the back and forth. As I said, I always use that one winter as an example and that once I implemented the policy, it all stopped. I also make sure to explain that kids will get sick so a back up plan is important. All of my parents have family local, though, and/or back up care plans so that there is not the temptation to send in child with a cross-of-the-fingers that they are ok. The ones who think that's it's 'not fair' are the ones who either don't have a reliable back up plan or plan to send their kids when they aren't feeling well.
284878 08:22 PM 10-29-2016
I had a parent at an interview tell me how much they love my policy. It is very strict, I said. Good, they said.

Week 2 they dropped off with a mention that they had given dcg some motrin. Sent them home (with a strict warning) and mom was . Sent home yesterday (week 7) for not feeling well and dcm asked if she could come back the next day. I just sent home my reminder, too. See ya Monday!

Jenboo, are you wondering how to explain it to parents? The 'why'? I tell them that it isn't meant to be punitive at all. That it puts the onus on parents to make sure that they are sending well children and helps to keep the whole group healthy. That I have a great group of parents who keep their children home when they are unwell. I always reassure that I don't just send home (in fact, I hardly ever need to send home anymore) but that it has worked wonders at stopping the back and forth. As I said, I always use that one winter as an example and that once I implemented the policy, it all stopped. I also make sure to explain that kids will get sick so a back up plan is important. All of my parents have family local, though, and/or back up care plans so that there is not the temptation to send in child with a cross-of-the-fingers that they are ok. The ones who think that's it's 'not fair' are the ones who either don't have a reliable back up plan or plan to send their kids when they aren't feeling well.
This happened to me this year too. DCM says that she loves how detailed my handbook is. DCB starts and on the second day of the second week, she does a quick drop off and with in minutes, he throws up. I call her no answer, I call DCD and he calls back. He works out of town and sending his parents to pick up. Ugh she knew he was sick and never mentioned it. My dd gets sick, same symptoms, and I have to close, DCM was super understanding though. Yep glad your OK with my dd getting sick.
At that point, I considered changing my policy to no credits if dd gets sick after dck gets sent home. But I have not figured out away to write that up fairly.
Tags:24/48, 24/48 hours, flu, flu policy, letter samples
Reply Up