Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>!!!! My Families Are Driving Me Nuts!!!!
Ac114 07:51 AM 11-13-2018
Is there something about the holiday season that makes everyone daycare families extra demanding, rude or just plain annoying? Or is it just my families?

-Someone’s mad about taking Black Friday off
-Someone wants to switch their days to mon-weds so they get their monies worth.
-Someone wants to extend their hours to get their monies worth since they will only be here 2 days instead of 3 next week.

If I get another message about rearranging schedules to accommodate THEM and not my contract I may just close down shop all together. (Not really but a girl can dream right?)
Cat Herder 07:53 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Is there something about the holiday season that makes everyone daycare families extra demanding, rude or just plain annoying? Or is it just my families?
IME, Yes. Every year.
rosieteddy 08:24 AM 11-13-2018
Send a letter home Friday. I would list (again I am sure)your schedule for days off over the holidays.I would explain no changing schedules for families allowed.Tell them that every body is to follow the usual days and times listed on their contracts no exceptions.Holidays are not a surprise they happen every year.You deserve time off do not let them make you feel bad.You are the boss of your DC.When they complain just look them in the eye and say "that's why I let you know my schedule"and just stare at them.
Unregistered 08:35 AM 11-13-2018

-Someone wants to extend their hours to get their monies worth since they will only be here 2 days instead of 3 next week.

If I get another message about rearranging schedules to accommodate THEM and not my contract I may just close down shop all together. (Not really but a girl can dream right?)
I have a family that is still in disbelief that I am closed the day after Thanksgiving. They remind me each day at drop off. Same family is still trying to get me to be open on x mas eve. I get constant reminders from them about their hardship of finding alternate care. I want to tell them how I could care less about their issues and how my life does not always revolve around them. I have my own life. If I could quit at this point I would.
LittleExplorers 09:28 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a family that is still in disbelief that I am closed the day after Thanksgiving. They remind me each day at drop off. Same family is still trying to get me to be open on x mas eve. I get constant reminders from them about their hardship of finding alternate care. I want to tell them how I could care less about their issues and how my life does not always revolve around them. I have my own life. If I could quit at this point I would.
I would tell them they can accept and respect my terms and stop complaining or put in their 2 week notice. No way would I listen to a daily comment on my time off.
amberrose3dg 10:07 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I would tell them they can accept and respect my terms and stop complaining or put in their 2 week notice. No way would I listen to a daily comment on my time off.
Yes and these comments come from teachers who are off Wed- Fri.
They are all real mad I am closed from December 21st to January 2nd. It is my holidays and my week off paid.
MyAngels 11:00 AM 11-13-2018
I ended up solving this issue by only charging for the major federal holidays. Any other time I take off is "unpaid." Of course, I raised my rates to accommodate all those "unpaid" days, but the daycare families are none the wiser .

The really awesome thing is my current group of families always insist that they pay me for time I take off anyway. Win-win for me
Ac114 11:18 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I ended up solving this issue by only charging for the major federal holidays. Any other time I take off is "unpaid." Of course, I raised my rates to accommodate all those "unpaid" days, but the daycare families are none the wiser .

The really awesome thing is my current group of families always insist that they pay me for time I take off anyway. Win-win for me
I used to be open on Black Friday but only one child ever needed care so I stopped opening for one child. They work retail so every time a holiday comes around they ask if they need backup care and every single time it’s a yes. Last year I stayed open on Christmas Eve, all families were gone by noon. Not them. They left their son until 6pm. I refuse to open on Christmas Eve now, New Year’s Eve or the day after thanksgiving anymore.
Indoorvoice 12:10 PM 11-13-2018
Every year. I always remind parents it's practice for learning how to cover their work days once their kids go to school. Really. What are they going to do?
MyAngels 12:13 PM 11-13-2018
I used to be open on Black Friday but only one child ever needed care so I stopped opening for one child. They work retail so every time a holiday comes around they ask if they need backup care and every single time it’s a yes. Last year I stayed open on Christmas Eve, all families were gone by noon. Not them. They left their son until 6pm. I refuse to open on Christmas Eve now, New Year’s Eve or the day after thanksgiving anymore.
I think if I ever opened on Black Friday I would have every child here . I close for that, for Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and quite a few other days through the year, I just don't charge in the traditional sense for it. So far it's worked out pretty well for me. I've found people push back far less if they don't think they're "paying for something they're not getting"
amberrose3dg 12:32 PM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I think if I ever opened on Black Friday I would have every child here . I close for that, for Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and quite a few other days through the year, I just don't charge in the traditional sense for it. So far it's worked out pretty well for me. I've found people push back far less if they don't think they're "paying for something they're not getting"
I might too. Only because most of my kids parents send them every single day they are off. I dont understand why they don't want to spend time with their own kids. I only have maybe 1 kid that parent works that day. I'm always closed that day and day before. I'm taking my kids to see wreck it Ralph 2
jessiepeel 02:24 PM 11-13-2018
exactly my parents get a list of my days off in January with their tax papers . plenty of time to make arrangements. I also add that ample notice will be given for additional days needed. and all days are payed.. remember you have the right to a life too.. and Im a mom first .
BumbleBee 04:44 PM 11-13-2018

Not just your families!
Firefly 05:48 AM 11-14-2018
No it’s not just you. I think our daycare families rely on us too much and when we have a day off they don’t know how to act!
Unregistered 06:45 AM 11-14-2018
In my experience, the parents who complain the most about the days off, are the same ones who have those days off anyway. More and more, parents want days off to themselves instead of spending that quality time with their kids.
I have always taken the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day.

It had always been surprising to me that families don't understand/consider that we have our own children and families that we want to spend time with outside of our jobs. But I guess it shouldn't be so surprising considering that they don't want to spend time with their own children outside of their jobs unless they are forced to do so because we are closed.
Tags:black friday, black friday rates, getting money's worth, gifts from parents, holidays - off, holidays - over it, paid vacations, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up