Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Talk
jenboo 09:40 AM 02-19-2019
Do you tolerate it?
Is it inappropriate?
Is it just normal age appropriate development?

I have 4 year old who is now obsessed with potty talk. Everything is pee or poop. I can't stand it.
Last week I gave him lots of warnings and reminders that potty talk is for the bathroom only. This week I am sending him into the bathroom every time he says potty talk because that is where it belongs.

Am I being too harsh? How do you handle it?
ShellsByTheSeashore 09:45 AM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Do you tolerate it?
Is it inappropriate?
Is it just normal age appropriate development?

I have 4 year old who is now obsessed with potty talk. Everything is pee or poop. I can't stand it.
Last week I gave him lots of warnings and reminders that potty talk is for the bathroom only. This week I am sending him into the bathroom every time he says potty talk because that is where it belongs.

Am I being too harsh? How do you handle it?
I don't think you're being harsh. It's quite a creative solution, I think.

I remember my Grandma just looking at my sister and me with a disgusted look on her face and say "We don't talk like that act." Then, she moved on with the conversation. It worked. We grew out of it quickly because we didn't get the reaction we were looking for from her.
jenboo 09:47 AM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by ShellsByTheSeashore:
I don't think you're being harsh. It's quite a creative solution, I think.

I remember my Grandma just looking at my sister and me with a disgusted look on her face and say "We don't talk like that act." Then, she moved on with the conversation. It worked. We grew out of it quickly because we didn't get the reaction we were looking for from her.
Thats what I was hoping for! But he knows exactly what he is doing. If I leave the room, everything is pee and poop again.
Ms.Kay 09:48 AM 02-19-2019
I have small stool in the kids bathroom directly off the kids playroom.
within my view ..excessive potty talk belongs in bathroom...the child can sit in there and get it all out. One one or 2 times with no audience usually cures it.
jenboo 09:55 AM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
I have small stool in the kids bathroom directly off the kids playroom.
within my view ..excessive potty talk belongs in bathroom...the child can sit in there and get it all out. One one or 2 times with no audience usually cures it.
glad im not the only one! my set up sounds similar! He goes and sits on the stool.
Hunni Bee 12:04 PM 02-19-2019
I give a warning then straight to the potty.

I act so disgusted by it that my kids don't like it either. I only have one who regularly tries it. "EWWW! Did you guys tell him how GROSS that is??" It usually doesn't go farther than that.
LK5kids 12:13 PM 02-19-2019
No, not harsh because it will get worse if you don’t nip it! I’ve lived it! It doesn’t help that everything is poop. My grandson’s every other word was poop. He’s 5. I had to direct him to the bathroom too. He’s much better now.

Poop emojis, pooping toys, poop emoji pillows. Poop poop poop everywhere you look!!!
CeriBear 07:57 AM 02-20-2019
I don’t think you are being harsh. I give a child one warning about using potty words then if it continues I take them straight to the classroom bathroom and tell them this is where potty talk belongs.
Tags:curse words, inappropriate talk, potty talk
Reply Up