Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where do Your DCK's Sleep?
blueclouds29 12:06 PM 08-08-2011
I watch 3 toddlers and i have a 2 year old DD. One 15 month old sleeps in the spare room alone, 18 month old sleeps with my 2 year old on a mat in her room, and 11 month old sleeps in my room. Do you separate your kids specially the little ones or do they all sleep in the same room?
If they sleep in the same room how do you deal with one child waking the rest up with their screaming?
As my DCK's get older i think they would be ok to sleep in the same room, but as toddlers its hard.
Thoughts?
Oh, btw, i have a small ranch house, i have a kitchen, living room and 3 bedrooms. that's it.. very hard to work with which is why i don't watch many kids.
Cat Herder 12:09 PM 08-08-2011
About a foot away from me at the moment...all in the same room.

Naptime is supervised time. All of mine are two and under.

Honestly it takes LOT'S of work to get them napping well. Consistency, time and routine are the keys.

Wish there was an easy button, though....
Pammie 12:11 PM 08-08-2011
My infants/toddlers sleep in pack-n-plays in the bedrooms (3) in my home. Only one child/room - each with a monitor on while they're in there.

Once the toddlers graduate out of pack-n-plays to nap mats - all of the nap mat sleepers nap in my main living room.

I've never had success with more than one infant/toddler per bedroom - and everyone napping well
morgan24 12:12 PM 08-08-2011
When I'm full I sleep 3 to each spare bedroom. Like Catherder says it takes consistency, time and routine to get them use to it, but it works.
blueclouds29 12:14 PM 08-08-2011
right now they are in their own room all go down at 12 sharp. I have a part timer who sleeps with one other child in the same room and they both wake up screaming waking up each other.. drives me NUTS!!! I have to do CIO to just get them back to sleep. Cause if one sees me that's the end of it...
Cat Herder 12:19 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
right now they are in their own room all go down at 12 sharp. I have a part timer who sleeps with one other child in the same room and they both wake up screaming waking up each other.. drives me NUTS!!! I have to do CIO to just get them back to sleep. Cause if one sees me that's the end of it...
IMHO, keeping part-time kids makes it IMPOSSIBLE to have the kind of consistency my program requires.

My kids nap like angels...well, except on Mondays following a long weekend or a vacation... I just serve Turkey for lunch on those days...

I have a feeling that is your actual problem, part timers who never fully transition....
blueclouds29 12:21 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
IMHO, keeping part-time kids makes it IMPOSSIBLE to have the kind of consistency my program requires.

My kids nap like angels...well, except on Mondays following a long weekend or a vacation... I just serve Turkey for lunch on those days...

I have a feeling that is your actual problem, part timers who never fully transition....
You are exactly correct! He's only here once in a great while.. i could go months without having him.. I guess he's a drop-in when Gram's can't watch him. That little money here and there is good though!
But when he's not here we're good nappers
Cat Herder 12:23 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
You are exactly correct! He's only here once in a great while.. i could go months without having him.. I guess he's a drop-in when Gram's can't watch him. That little money here and there is good though!
But when he's not here we're good nappers
Try having a seperate area JUST for part-timers...

Maybe that will help you.
blueclouds29 12:24 PM 08-08-2011
yes, i'm thinking i'm going to have to do that when he's here! Thanks
Meyou 01:08 PM 08-08-2011
I use two bedrooms and sleep 3 to a room either on napcots, spare bed or in pack and plays depending on age. For newbies and babies I also have a spare Pnp and cot for the playroom so I can seperate if needed. I use the playroom for dropins...they aren't messin' with my babies sleep in the naprooms!

All of the rooms have blackout blinds and fans too. I find that helps alot.
JenNJ 02:14 PM 08-08-2011
I group by age. I have the under 1's on the main level with me at all times. This way I can monitor them easily and they get used to the daycare noise. This leads to YEARS of better sleep while in care.

Under 3's are in pack n plays in my spare bedroom. I have a video monitor for that room. They don't wake one another usually because the are accustomed to a noisy environment bc they slept in the main area as infants.

Over 3's are on nap mats in the playroom. They tend to take the shortest naps and this way they can get up and play without disturbing anyone else. This room is a sunken room just off the main floor. I monitor by popping my head in once in a while and I can hear them easily on the main floor.

IMO, the WORST thing you can do in group care is give a child a private sleep area. It leads to a child who NEEDS complete quiet to sleep which never happens here.
sharlan 02:45 PM 08-08-2011
My older ones used to always sleep on my sofa, my bed, or my daughters' beds. I had pack n plays for the babies.

My 3 yo sleeps in my bed. My 4 yo doesn't nap.
godiva83 03:01 PM 08-08-2011
I have 4 toddlers and they all sleeP in PNP's in the play room from 12:30-2:30 or 3:00 I found at first it was hard but I kept to it and routine is key, have lunch, lunch clean up and diapers a story with some streching on goes the music and lights go out. The odd time I have a child who is very tired and naps twice so I have an extra PNP in the spare room for him
Nu2biz 09:29 PM 08-08-2011
I have one full timer who is three and two part-timers 5 and 9 years. The two part timers come very early in the mornings. Last year they sleped on my couches in the livingroom aka reading center/quiet room. This year I have nap mats (I'm totally excited for them, no more on the couches..some day I hope to get new ones so getting my dck used to nap mats now is great!). They are all in the same room. During nap time I'll only have my 4 and 5 year old. They know if they wake up before naptime is over they can read, do puzzles, or something quiet on the shelf. My daughter sleeps in the nursery upstairs.... I think I will keep her in her room for naps. Oh I have not had a problem with the kids waking each other up..
SilverSabre25 06:01 AM 08-09-2011
The lower level of my bi-level home consists of the playroom, a bedroom, the laundry/utility room, and a bathroom. I have everyone sleeping in the bedroom. I have had good luck with everyone being in the same room, sleeping well, and not waking each other up (most of the time).
cheerfuldom 06:21 AM 08-09-2011
I have everyone split up. White noise and blackout curtains. I don't have the patience to get everyone on the same schedule and napping in the same room. They do wake up if they hear something usually but all but one are really good at going right back to sleep. I have one that has been doing CIO for weeks with only a little progress and I am not about to inflict that on everyone else in the group.
cheerfuldom 06:22 AM 08-09-2011
oh and for ages I have a 3 yr old, 2 that just turned 2, 1 that just turned 1, an 11 month old, 9 month old and 3 month old.
littlemommy 06:39 AM 08-09-2011
I have toddlers all in my living room. There are some that are horrible nappers and roll around the whole time. At least they are quiet!

I only have one infant, and he's a major screamer. He screams if he is out here or in a separate room. I put him upstairs in a pack n play in my bedroom, which is completely dark. Once I hear him quit crying, I go peak on him. He's a cat-napper. I don't think he gets enough sleep for his age. At 11 months, he is only napping for a half an hour in the 8 hours he is here.
littlemommy 06:43 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I have toddlers all in my living room. There are some that are horrible nappers and roll around the whole time. At least they are quiet!

I only have one infant, and he's a major screamer. He screams if he is out here or in a separate room. I put him upstairs in a pack n play in my bedroom, which is completely dark. Once I hear him quit crying, I go peak on him. He's a cat-napper. I don't think he gets enough sleep for his age. At 11 months, he is only napping for a half an hour in the 8 hours he is here.
I forgot to say, the toddlers all sleep on nap mats. I'm actually a couple short right now, and don't know where to get them. I've been told not to use online purchases as deductions because usually tax isn't paid?
Crazy8 06:49 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
My infants/toddlers sleep in pack-n-plays in the bedrooms (3) in my home. Only one child/room - each with a monitor on while they're in there.

Once the toddlers graduate out of pack-n-plays to nap mats - all of the nap mat sleepers nap in my main living room.

I've never had success with more than one infant/toddler per bedroom - and everyone napping well
I do exactly this, except my mat nappers are in the playroom (main daycare area).

Everyone naps great here - I've never had a problem with having the kids in the same room once they are on mats.
nannyde 07:00 AM 08-09-2011
I have separate sleeping rooms.

Birth to two in the nursery.
Two to five year olds in the big kids sleeping room.
Chatty kid in the attached office to the big kids sleeping room.
Country Kids 07:09 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have separate sleeping rooms.

Birth to two in the nursery.
Two to five year olds in the big kids sleeping room.
Chatty kid in the attached office to the big kids sleeping room.
I'm surprised you would put a Chatty Kid in the office because I thought you didn't take kids that had outgrown naps? Or is it when of those children that have to talk, talk, talk till the fall asleep?
Meyou 08:05 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm surprised you would put a Chatty Kid in the office because I thought you didn't take kids that had outgrown naps? Or is it when of those children that have to talk, talk, talk till the fall asleep?
My dd does that. It drives me crazy!
nannyde 09:40 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I don't provide service to children who don't need a full afternoon nap.

I do provide services to chatty Kathy.
blueclouds29 10:01 AM 08-09-2011
My 2 year old DD has learn to be quiet when she's in her bed for nap, cause i have a 17 month on a mat in the same room. She will sit for about 30-45 min in her bed reading books or looking through them. Then she gets bored and falls asleep. At night she'll talk for about 45-1 hour just talking about everything and anyone till she talks herself to sleep.
littlemommy 11:00 AM 08-09-2011
I wish I had more rooms for the rollers. I have 3 girls who roll and roll and roll! They will NOT lay still or take a nap. Drives me nuts because it distracts everybody else.
Unregistered 11:48 AM 08-09-2011
People are always amazed when I talk about my dc and they hear that all the kids go down at the same time. I work alot on keeping there schedule consistent. I have a pretty small house, very open floor plan and the kids on mats sleep on my family room floor (strategically arranged ofcourse!) I have 3 pack in plays one in the den, one in the playroom area and the other in my daughters room. (shes in school all day) so its no biggie to use her room cause when she gets home the kids are all up. Ultimately I would love to getthe crib out of my daughter's room but the cribs take up a lot of space and I dont have a ton of space as it is. For the most part the kids all do fine co- sleeping. I ' am starting two babies with in the next 3 weeks so that will change the dynamic quite a bit!
Maybe I could squeeze the other packnplay into the den some where. Hmmmmm why didnt I think of that before! Nap time project!
Tags:naptime - requirements, naptime -infants, naptime routine
Reply Up