Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Slow Eater
SilverSabre25 06:36 AM 06-07-2012
She and her infant brother have been my only two dcks this week, so I've kind of just let her take as long as she takes to eat and decide for herself when she's done. Yesterday it was about 45 minutes to eat lunch...today she's been eating breakfast for more than half an hour! It's just peanut butter toast and a fruit and yogurt smoothie!

I like getting to give her the powr to eat at her pace and choose when she is done, but man oh man...where is the reasonable limit and how do I fit this into a regular day?
Kiki 06:59 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
She and her infant brother have been my only two dcks this week, so I've kind of just let her take as long as she takes to eat and decide for herself when she's done. Yesterday it was about 45 minutes to eat lunch...today she's been eating breakfast for more than half an hour! It's just peanut butter toast and a fruit and yogurt smoothie!

I like getting to give her the powr to eat at her pace and choose when she is done, but man oh man...where is the reasonable limit and how do I fit this into a regular day?
I have one of these, I'll be watching this thread to see other answers. Although mine might be a little different that yours, she likes to just hold the food up to her lips, and just kind of sit there. I have to ask her to please take bites of it, so now, after she takes a bite (every time) she will say 'I did it!'.
pootmcgoot 07:24 AM 06-07-2012
My kiddo is a piddler when she eats. I give her 20 minutes then take it up. She sits and eats 5 or 6 times a day plus snacks so she has the opportunity to eat. She's gotten much better and usually finishes a meal in 20 mins and will refuse the next snack/meal I offer because she finished her food. It took patience and frustrated me to no end because she wasted food but after she mastered Utencils she's improved a ton.
momofsix 07:56 AM 06-07-2012
I am the slowest eater in the world I don't know why. I don't talk more than anyone else when I eat. I don't "play" with my food.
I DO take very small bites though. Just last year my dentist told me that I have an extremely small mouth (even offered to write it down for dh) Maybe that's why?
My parents and teachers tried everything to get me to eat faster, nothing worked. As an adult I've TRIED to make myself eat faster! Everyone teases me about it now-but it's just the way I am.
Sorry I don't have any advice to help you!
jen 09:06 PM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Silver, I had a little one like this and I always let him eat at his own pace. Then he went to all day kindergarden where that was not an option, he was miserable. It made for a really tough transition.

I would start giving her a generous but specific length of time and then taking it away.
Michael 11:31 PM 06-07-2012
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31120
Tags:slow eater
Reply Up