Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking Of Offering My Services As A Nanny To One Of My Daycare Moms And Closing....
Unregistered 09:10 AM 06-30-2014
I have a full time DCM who has her 2 year old and will have another baby joining us in about 6 months. They are great people to work with! I had my own baby last fall and have been looking to get back into the nanny profession since his birth. I like being home but have had nothing but trouble with almost every family I've worked with. Every time I enforce a policy I am met with hostility and have either lost or had to terminate 90% of my families over the last 2 years. This business just isn't for me.

I was thinking of proposing that this DCM hire me as a nanny for her 2 children and me bringing mine along. I will charge her $25 more per week than she would pay to come to my daycare. Then she would have a 1:3 ratio instead of 1:6. And I would offer to do light housekeeping related to the kids (kids dishes, kids laundry, and cleaning up after them). I will keep my vacation the same and obviously this would be a WAY better deal for them!

I was a nanny for 10 years prior to opening my daycare and I've had employees so I can guide them with the ins and out of having an employee and it would cost them about $100-$150 extra per month than having their kids in daycare, but the perks would be having sick childcare and help with household tasks and not having to get their kids ready in the morning.

I believe they can afford the extra, but I would even be willing to do it for what they would be paying me for both their kids in my daycare.

I'm tired of this business, having my house being destroyed, and having to deal with horrible parents.

Should I offer this? I was going to let her know that I had been thinking about going back to being a nanny and bringing my son with me. I would tell her that I enjoy working with her family and that I would like to propose coming to work as their nanny instead of servicing them as a FCC. And tell her that i would be willing to do it for $25 more per week and to keep my paid time off and holidays the same as they were for daycare but offer that I will do some of their housekeeping.

Opinions?
hope 09:16 AM 06-30-2014
This sounds like a great idea but you do need to consider your own child's health while providing sick care. Maybe make sure you have someone to watch your own child when the children you are watching are sick. You also have to have a back up plan for when your children are sick.
Otherwise, it sounds like a great plan!
coolconfidentme 09:19 AM 06-30-2014
She might think you are going to closed the DC regardless or that you are offering this to everyone. Can you say it in jest to see if she is interested in the idea of a nanny? idk...
NeedaVaca 09:33 AM 06-30-2014
If you are even willing to do this for the same price as what they pay in daycare why not continue to watch them at your house and not take any other kids?
Unregistered 10:01 AM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
She might think you are going to closed the DC regardless or that you are offering this to everyone. Can you say it in jest to see if she is interested in the idea of a nanny? idk...
I should've added more to my OP...I would first ask if they'd ever considered hiring a nanny, and then when I offer I would tell them they are the only ones I'm offering it to and if they weren't interested I would still keep doing daycare. And stress the fact that it's only being offered to them because I enjoy working with them and their kids so much, and if they weren't interested that I'd keep providing them daycare services, and that this was just something I thought might be beneficial for them (and me).

I actually crunched the numbers again and it would cost them exactly the same to have me as a nanny as to use me for daycare. They need longer hours so they pay a higher rate at $310 a week per child. They would end up having more vacation time due to not having to take as many days off for when their kids are sick enough to be excluded for daycare and they'd have housework done.
Unregistered 10:02 AM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
If you are even willing to do this for the same price as what they pay in daycare why not continue to watch them at your house and not take any other kids?
Because the whole point is to stop doing daycare. The kids are tearing up my house and I don't want to deal with being licensed anymore. Also due to regs I could not offer to care for their kids when sick.
coolconfidentme 10:13 AM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Because the whole point is to stop doing daycare. The kids are tearing up my house and I don't want to deal with being licensed anymore. Also due to regs I could not offer to care for their kids when sick.
Licensing can suck at times fo sho!!
NeedaVaca 10:19 AM 06-30-2014
Gotcha, I thought it was other kids in your care that were destroying your house, not the ones you want to nanny for. I figured if you were only watching the 2 siblings you would also not need to be licensed anymore. You need to do what you feel is the right thing for you Personally, I enjoy being in my own home with my own rules, I would not like working for someone else but since you have nannied before you know what it will be like and must have enjoyed it if you want to go back
Heidi 10:21 AM 06-30-2014
Do you need a license for 2 kids from one family?

The thing I would hate to give up is being able to do my own housework. In the best world, I would maybe do a split. You are their nanny, but one day a week, you can take the kids to your house, if you want? I'd pick Fridays, myself. Then, you could throw in some laundry while they nap or play, start dinner, take the kids back home, and come home to a crockpot full of dinner. Maybe in exchange for that privilege, you can make THEM dinner one night a week as part of your nanny services.

It could be really fun! You could go on field trips as they get older, not be burdened with licensing regs, not have to worry about serving meals from your house, etc.

If our area's rates were a bit higher, I would totally do that.

As a matter of fact, I was a shared nanny for 2 families years ago, and brought my own 2yo along. They lived in the same neighborhood, each paid me seperately, and I'd spend 2 days at one house,3 at the other. The other family would then bring their child to one another's house on those days, kwim?

As far as their or your kids being sick, I don't see why that would change anything. People take care of multiple sibs all the time when one or more is sick. Assuming everyone has a healthy immune system, and no one is super-sick, nothing would change. You would have to work our your sick days, though.
Unregistered 11:22 AM 06-30-2014
Gotcha, I thought it was other kids in your care that were destroying your house, not the ones you want to nanny for. I figured if you were only watching the 2 siblings you would also not need to be licensed anymore. You need to do what you feel is the right thing for you Personally, I enjoy being in my own home with my own rules, I would not like working for someone else but since you have nannied before you know what it will be like and must have enjoyed it if you want to go back
My state requires a license to care for even one unrelated child in my home. I Like being the boss but I have so many problems with getting the parents to follow my policies, its not worth it anymore!

I did enjoy being a nanny, and I think this family will value my experience and treat me well, in fact they already do value and treat me well, ehich is why I'm considering this.
Unregistered 11:23 AM 06-30-2014
If you can afford it I would say yes,do it.
My sister-in-law,who had been a nanny for 15 years was in the process of of opening a daycare.
Her past family that she had nannied for moved back in atate and called her to see if she woukd be interested in caring for their girls agai.
At this point they had five girls with another one on the way. They offered her $1000 a week,a car,a gas card,2 weeks paid vacation and paid holidays. It included some cleaning butthey hadamaid too so not much.
She said yes and worked for them forover 10 years.She said it was the best job ever!!!
I wouldn't sell yourself short.Nanny care is more pay than daycare.It's for all the conveniences you listed above. See if they are interested and come to an agreement regarding pay.
AmyKidsCo 12:20 PM 06-30-2014
It sounds like you're not happy with the daycare in your house and if you're considering going back to nannying anyway, I say go for it! You may as well work for someone you know and like.
rosieteddy 03:09 PM 06-30-2014
Iwould stay a provider in your own home.A couple of reasons.I closed my daycare to care for my Father-in-law (alzhiemers)and special needs sister-in-law(Mentally 3yr old at 55yrs).How nieve I was I thought I could run a bussiness and incorperate their care into my day ...........thats a story for another day. After 2 yrs he passed away,she went to adult daycare and I decided to try A daycare center.Did that for a year .She deteriated and entered a nursing home.I took time off to get her acclamated. Then I answered a nanny job posting two families wanted to share a nanny.It was not the same I wasn;t the boss.It was not my house my kids had to call me.If they were late I was'nt home to start dinner ect. But the biggest reason I would.nt do it if I were you is your son.He already shares you .now it wouln;t even be his own house. Charge a little more and only keep this family your house your rules.I would think real hard about it.Maybe even ride out your liscense and reacess.Good luck.
NeedaVaca 06:43 PM 06-30-2014
I have a question slightly OT but it is in this post...what states do you have to be licensed to watch just 1 families children? I was kind of surprised by that, I know every state is different so I don't keep up with all of them but that seems crazy to me!
Patches 08:12 PM 06-30-2014
I have a question slightly OT but it is in this post...what states do you have to be licensed to watch just 1 families children? I was kind of surprised by that, I know every state is different so I don't keep up with all of them but that seems crazy to me!
Here in Oklahoma you have to be licensed to watch even 1 child
momofboys 10:12 PM 06-30-2014
I nanny now & I love it. The reasons I quit childcare in my home were all my kids were in school full-time so no real reason to be home, I can be selective & choose who/where I wanted to work for & pick a job with peachy hours if I wanted (I worked 8:45-5:15 3 days/week). But the #1 reason I did it was to gain FREE TIME for myself to volunteer at school for my kids & to gain free time to get things done at home. This past school year I worked 3 days/week & made more $$$ than when I was caring for kids 5 days/week in my home working 50 hr weeks. The job I had didn't start ntil 8:45 so I was able to get the kids to school with no help from anyone but me or DH. It works for me but I know it isn't for everyone.
CtheLove 01:50 AM 07-01-2014
I live in Virginia, in fairfax county and if you have one child you have to have a permit, not all of Virginia requires that it but certain counties in Northern VA does. It really is crazy, but i have done it before in another county that didn't require me to have a permit as long as I didn't go over 5 kids. But there's no help with anything, no resources and now I have tons. It helps that my child care worker is awesome! So its a little bitter sweet
Tags:nanny
Reply Up