Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>School Agers - Activities
AfterSchoolMom 07:52 AM 08-19-2010
Those of you who care for SA's during the school year, what sort of activities do you have available to them in the afternoon? I'm going to have a much smaller group this year, so they won't have a bunch of other kids to entertain them.

I've got board games, cards, art stuff, legos and other blocks, play doh, books, etc. I'm going to allow them to bring/play their DS's or other hand held games or play our Wii system on Fridays. I don't have alot outside, but I have a climbing dome, balls, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, etc.

Are there any particular games or activities that you have that keep your SA's especially entertained?
melskids 08:22 AM 08-19-2010
i'm sooooo done with SA this summer its not even funny...

i;m all out of ideas and would love some too.....

right now, though, they are painting rocks they found outside, and they've been at it for a while now. i'm going to clear coat them and put them in out garden.

usually afterschool, by the time they get home, (4p.m.) they have a snack, and play outside for a bit, and its almost time for them to go home. we dont have much time to get too involved with anything...
missnikki 09:49 AM 08-19-2010
My group looooves "melty beads'. They are at craft stores and are actually called fusion beads.
You start with a plastic shape template, it has little pegs on the front. The kids place the melty beads on the pegs. Using parchment paper (NOT WAX PAPER!!), you iron over the beads and they melt together to form the shape.
It's a great project for the fine motor, good for all interest/ ability levels, kindergarteners through 8th graders. It can take several sessions or just a few minutes.
Best of all, it's a good take home for the kids. My kids' all-time favorite.
DCMomOf3 10:04 AM 08-19-2010
I am interested in this too. I have a SA who doesn't do art or crafts AT ALL. He is also very competative, so I am always looking for alternates for me to suggest that's not challenging or competing against the other kids.
gkids09 11:50 AM 08-19-2010
I was just about to post this same question!! I have five, sometimes 8, school age kids every afternoon...I have run out of things for them to do. I separated an entire room in the daycare for them to have as their own. There are books, board games, their own set of crayons/markers, pencils, paper, handheld games, dry-erase boards/markers, puzzles, etc. They are "bored." That's all I hear every day. I'll be interested to hear what others do. I take them out every chance we get, but licensing says we have to be out with them, and they get here when a lot of the little ones are sleeping so we can't take them out yet!! So...I need ideas too. TIA.
AfterSchoolMom 12:03 PM 08-19-2010
I use a chart system for behavior with my SA's. I'm seriously considering adding them saying "I'm bored" and "there's nothing to do" to the list of things that are off limits!
Michael 10:23 PM 08-19-2010
A similar earlier thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14749
AfterSchoolMom 09:41 AM 08-21-2010
Michael, how do you do that? I always do a search before I post a new topic, but I must be doing something wrong, because it doesn't ever bring up what I'm looking for.
Michael 12:01 PM 08-21-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Michael, how do you do that? I always do a search before I post a new topic, but I must be doing something wrong, because it doesn't ever bring up what I'm looking for.
There are several ways to search. I am clicking on the TAG words on the bottom left. You can also use the TAG Search and. I usually tag the threads with words and likewise you can too. It helps to keep similar threads searchable.

Also, you can click on the SEARCH link at the top of the page in the dark blue area where you can search through posts or threads. You can type a word like "bleach" in the "Search by Keyword" box and it will pull up all the threads/posts with the word bleach in it.

Hope that helps. If you need more information PM me.

You can also use the FAQ section to answers all questions regarding the use of this forum's functions. https://www.daycare.com/forum/faq.php

General Forum Usage
User Profile Features
Reading and Posting Messages

Michael
Tags:faq forum, school-age activities, search, tags
Reply Up