Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Important Questions
jen 08:26 AM 03-10-2011
So, the post on the Sad thread about spending the day with a provider got me thinking. Providers, what do you think the MOST important questions a parent can ask of a provider.

Here are my two:

Have you ever had a client leave because they were unhappy? Can you tell me about that situation?

What is the average length of time that a family stays in care?

Also, very important...make sure that there are a few PAST families in care. Present families may not give you the full scoop.
daycare 08:29 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
So, the post on the Sad thread about spending the day with a provider got me thinking. Providers, what do you think the MOST important questions a parent can ask of a provider.

Here are my two:

Have you ever had a client leave because they were unhappy? Can you tell me about that situation?

What is the average length of time that a family stays in care?

Also, very important...make sure that there are a few PAST families in care. Present families may not give you the full scoop.
I have had a parent aske me what it means to have been given an exclusion. Meaning that I could have done something in the past that I was charged with but that the state does not see this as a reason for me NOT to run a daycare.

I did not even know that it existed and when the parent asked me, I felt stupid because I did not know what she was talking about.

I think that this a great post Jen... I will think of more after I have my coffee... I am having a late start to my day....wish the kids were...lol
Blackcat31 10:29 AM 03-10-2011
For me it isn't necessarily the questions a parent can ask me but the two way conversation that we (myself as the provider and the parent) can have in regards to childrearing and the methods we both believe in and follow.

I want to know how parents feel about specific issues and how they handle them at home, I want to know parenting styles and their values.

I want them to know mine. It is vital that we are both on the same team and can coordinate our efforts to properly care for their child. I want them to understand that no topic is considered petty or unimportant when it comes to their child. I want them to know that open communication, respect, honesty and trust are a two way street.

I don't really care what questions they ask of me, it is the conversation we have through the interview process that should tell them (and me) if we are a good match for each other.
momatheart 12:13 PM 03-10-2011
I think parents should ask under what grounds would you terminate care?

When is your paid vacation? What other paid holiday's do you take off?

Maybe these questions we post here should be some things that should be gone over at the initial interview.
kendallina 12:23 PM 03-10-2011
Have you ever had an emergency situation with a child? What happened?

As a parent you're also going to want to know what a provider would do in certain situations. For ex...how do you handle it when a child does not go down to nap and is crying, etc. I think that can give a parent a lot of information on whether the provider is a 'right fit'.

Good thread.
DBug 01:00 PM 03-10-2011
What is your planned course of action in the event of an emergency (ie. injury or evacuation)?

I've only had one or two ask this question, but if I were on their side of the interview, it's totally something I'd want to know.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I had "How do we know the people that come to your house are safe?" with respect to my kids' friends. They were worried about my own 8 & 10 year old kids bringing teenagers home . A better question might have been "How much contact will my child have with adults and teenagers other than yourself?" And that is something I'd want to know too, if I were in their shoes.
daycare 01:07 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
What is your planned course of action in the event of an emergency (ie. injury or evacuation)?

I've only had one or two ask this question, but if I were on their side of the interview, it's totally something I'd want to know.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I had "How do we know the people that come to your house are safe?" with respect to my kids' friends. They were worried about my own 8 & 10 year old kids bringing teenagers home . A better question might have been "How much contact will my child have with adults and teenagers other than yourself?" And that is something I'd want to know too, if I were in their shoes.

I cover this one too, because I have a 13 and 15 year old. No one has ever asked me, but when I mention it they are happy that I did..
Crystal 02:23 PM 03-10-2011
1. What are your disipline procedures
2. What is your daily "routine"
3. What types of actvities do you offer
4. Can you tell me what a days menu would look like
5. What is your experience working with children
6. What, if any, training do you have in working with children
7. Are any other adults in the household and do you allow outside visitors besides those that are related to the daycare
8. May I have a list of references, including current and PAST clients
9. Do you have any violations with licensing
10. do you take field trips and if so, how is that handled
Tags:faq forum, parent questions, q&a, tips
Reply Up