Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Want No Nap
MissAnn 10:24 AM 10-05-2012
Well, at least they are hinting at it. If they ever come out and really ask....I will tell them that their 3 year old goes to her mat with a stack of books. If she is not tired, she is welcome to keep on reading. Actually, she probably reads 1/2 hour most days. I will not get her up from nap. I have work to do and I deserve my break time so I can be a good provider the rest of the day.

From what I've heard, she gets very mischevious at night and gets up and gets into things. She might sleep for a little while but then wakes up. The bring her in shoes I don't allow because they can't "get her" to agree to wear her tennis shoes...and feel I will have better luck.

Anyway....give me your opinion.....

Also...please give me ideas...phrases...things to say when parents actually come out and ask me to keep her up and not give her a nap. Our regulations say that all kids will have a reclining rest time.

When parents insist on no nap because they can't get their child to sleep at night...what goes through your mind?
  1. They sleep to long during nap
  2. Parents need a better night time system
  3. It's more of a night time discipline problem than a problem with too long of a nap
  4. Fine....she can stay up and play
  5. other......??????

littlemissmuffet 10:30 AM 10-05-2012
Honestly, I don't play this game. It is outlined in my interview process and in my handbook that all children 5 and under are required to have a nap/rest period of 2 hours (1-3pm); and parents are not to request individual nap hours outisde of that time frame nor request that a child doesn't nap/be woken up earlier if they are still sleeping.

If a request is made for no naps, I simply say "If your child has outgrown nap, they've outgrown my daycare!" and I don't argue with them about it. If they persist, I recommend looking for another daycare.

The way *I* do things is best for me and the kiddos in my care - I don't cater to individual needs/wants. Period.
MissAnn 10:35 AM 10-05-2012
Thank you LittleMissMuffet...and this is exactly how I feel but sometimes you just need to hear it from others. Simple and to the point...if your child has outgrown nap, she has outgrown my program.
cheerfuldom 11:12 AM 10-05-2012
Little miss muffet said exactly what I say....no naps are not an option. If you want this option, you need to look for another provider. Really, there are SOOOO many parents that want even young kids (under one!) to stay up all day so they sleep at night, its not anything that we all dont hear on a regular basis. Dont be afraid to say no.
AllDeezBabies 11:15 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Honestly, I don't play this game. It is outlined in my interview process and in my handbook that all children 5 and under are required to have a nap/rest period of 2 hours (1-3pm); and parents are not to request individual nap hours outisde of that time frame nor request that a child doesn't nap/be woken up earlier if they are still sleeping.

If a request is made for no naps, I simply say "If your child has outgrown nap, they've outgrown my daycare!" and I don't argue with them about it. If they persist, I recommend looking for another daycare.

The way *I* do things is best for me and the kiddos in my care - I don't cater to individual needs/wants. Period.
OMG I couldn't have said it better.
canadiancare 11:17 AM 10-05-2012
Our province has regulations with regards to required rest time for children in various age categories. I am not sure if all states/provinces do but it would stand to reason that it is spelled out somewhere.

I don't force kids to fall asleep (as if that were possible). They lie on their mats in the front room of the house with nature music playing and the lights off. I sit in there and read on my Kindle. It is quiet time. Today everyone slept but yesterday one didn't. Everyday is different.
DaisyMamma 11:19 AM 10-05-2012
"Nap is required for children under age 5 not enrolled in kindergarten, per state regulations."

"if they have outgrown nap, I'm afraid they have outgrown my program."

It is also in my policies. All kids rest. If they fall asleep its because they need the rest. I wouldnever wake a napping kid unless it was time to move on to another activity.
MissAnn 11:22 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Little miss muffet said exactly what I say....no naps are not an option. If you want this option, you need to look for another provider. Really, there are SOOOO many parents that want even young kids (under one!) to stay up all day so they sleep at night, its not anything that we all dont hear on a regular basis. Dont be afraid to say no.
But...do you think this is even effective? I know when I am over exhausted I will not sleep even at night.

I will say no....but I do have problems getting it out! I need some balls!
dave4him 11:24 AM 10-05-2012
laugther
daycarediva 01:34 PM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Well, at least they are hinting at it. If they ever come out and really ask....I will tell them that their 3 year old goes to her mat with a stack of books. If she is not tired, she is welcome to keep on reading. Actually, she probably reads 1/2 hour most days. I will not get her up from nap. I have work to do and I deserve my break time so I can be a good provider the rest of the day.

From what I've heard, she gets very mischevious at night and gets up and gets into things. She might sleep for a little while but then wakes up. The bring her in shoes I don't allow because they can't "get her" to agree to wear her tennis shoes...and feel I will have better luck.

Anyway....give me your opinion.....

Also...please give me ideas...phrases...things to say when parents actually come out and ask me to keep her up and not give her a nap. Our regulations say that all kids will have a reclining rest time.

When parents insist on no nap because they can't get their child to sleep at night...what goes through your mind?
  1. They sleep to long during nap
  2. Parents need a better night time system
  3. It's more of a night time discipline problem than a problem with too long of a nap
  4. Fine....she can stay up and play
  5. other......??????
If the child falls asleep, she obviously was tired. Do parents think we carry are the sandman or something? I think kids get overtired, most parents don't have a set bedtime routine, try to put kids in bed WAY too early and they also CRAVE time and attention from their parents/in their own home. Probably a combination of all of those. I had a dcm of a 3yo boy tell me to let him nap for 20-30 minutes. He was up at 5:30, here at 6:30-5, home for dinner, clean up and then bed. She wanted him sleeping at 6:30-7! I told her that she would have to find a new program, after weeks of KNOWING she was interviewing elsewhere (we have mutual friends on facebook, gotta love that nosey side bar that tells you what people are commenting on!) she decided to stay and moved back his bedtime to 8. After giving her some pointers (basically he just copied my pre nap routine), all is fine. Nap routine gives kids that 1:1 time that they need. PLAY in the bath, TALK to them, READ to them, SNUGGLE them.
LittleD 01:58 PM 10-05-2012
Just out of curiosity, do the parents nap her on the week end?
thatdivalady 02:51 PM 10-06-2012
That's hilarious. Honestly I think there are a few parents out there who just don't want that one on one time with their child. And there are a few more who just don't know how to set a routine and stick to it. My daughter is 2 and she continues to have her two naps per day and she goes to bed anywhere between 7:30pm and 8:00pm and sleeps all night. It's called a routine lol
Reply Up