Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Claiming An In-Home Tutor On Taxes?
silvercupskatie 04:18 PM 11-17-2012
I just started paying a French tutor to come in and teach a preschool French class to the kiddos one afternoon a week.

The children LOVE it, and I am surprised with how much they are picking up. My question is how I claim it on my taxes.

I realize that she is an independent contractor.

However, my own two daughters are also being taught by her. Should I divide the fee between all the kids and only write off the portion of the other children's?
TomCopeland 08:59 AM 11-18-2012
Originally Posted by silvercupskatie:
I just started paying a French tutor to come in and teach a preschool French class to the kiddos one afternoon a week.

The children LOVE it, and I am surprised with how much they are picking up. My question is how I claim it on my taxes.

I realize that she is an independent contractor.

However, my own two daughters are also being taught by her. Should I divide the fee between all the kids and only write off the portion of the other children's?
If the tutor is only present when day care children are under your care, deduct 100% of the cost. If the tutor is tutoring your own child when day care children are not present in your home, then don't deduct the cost of this extra session.
Reply Up