Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Business Laptop
EAP 10:39 AM 03-22-2013
Hubby surprised me with an awesome laptop this week after my netbook finally died (my 2 year old dropping it on floor helped). It is primarily for business and I just want to know what type of log I need to be keeping to claim higher than 50% use on next years taxes.
Unregistered 11:54 AM 03-22-2013
Good question! I want to know too. I am planning on buying a new laptop just for the business. Not sure how all this will work.

What programs doyou all recommend me getting for it??
TomCopeland 02:57 PM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
Hubby surprised me with an awesome laptop this week after my netbook finally died (my 2 year old dropping it on floor helped). It is primarily for business and I just want to know what type of log I need to be keeping to claim higher than 50% use on next years taxes.
You should probably keep at least 2 months of records showing hours of business and personal use. If these months are typical of the rest of the year, use this business percentage to deduct the computer. If the percentage is greater than 50%, use the Section 179 rule to write the business portion off in one year. If it's less than 50%, depreciate it over 5 years.
Reply Up