Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG's Severe Eczema, Is This Normal For Some People?
Holiday Park 08:36 PM 04-18-2013
She is 12 months. She was occasional drop in until this week. And I am wondering if she will end up becoming high maintenance very soon ?
Her eczrma has never improved. I have a ftiend who makrs home made soaps and swears that they work for it as her oen child (whos skin would also bleed) and customers eczems practiclly disapeared using this soap. So I gave this soap to them as s gift and for thrm to try out. I never did ask if they tried it. I didnt want to sound like pushy. They have been dealing with cps over s failure to thrive case from when mom
was in denial about noy making enough breast milk and refusjng to usr formula. Some onr called on them (most likely the Dr) when dcg. lost too much weight. Anyeay, the reason Im explaining that back ground info is because when I told her we dont do coes milk and some people who have czema will get it worse withdairy/ cow milk, and , I suggested soy milk
Holiday Park 08:41 PM 04-18-2013
she said she didnt want to do anything out of the ordinary (like change her diet) because of the dfcs case getting ready to close. My concern is she most likely has undiagnlsedallergy going on, or my stupid phone is messing up and wont allow me to click at the end .. ething making it worse than it has to be,on top of having sorry my phonr .
Holiday Park 09:00 PM 04-18-2013
SO sorry for the errors ! I forgot my netbook is working again . I just fixed it today,so still in the habit of using my phone.

What I was saying is DCM doesn't want to do anything different,like change dkg's diet to see if there is an allergy or something. because she is claiming she is afraid of sounding off alarms with dfcs,who has been hounding her to "take her Dr.'s advice" And a lot of Drs advocate for kids to drink cow milk when they turn one. I was concerned that it may make her eczema worse,and suggested an alternative. Honestly,I think they just don't like change. Because When she was nursing her around 6 months of age and she was only 8 lbs because she was hungry and needed formula and food, it took her a while to change what she was doing,then. Yes, ultimately its their child. But I see how uncomfortable she is each day and can't help but to wonder if it has to be something more.

Her knees are so messed up in the backsides, they are bleeding/scabbed over from her constant scratching,and dryness. They do use a ton of cream (aquaphore and some prescription stuff) Its not easy changing diapers because as soon as i take off her tights/pants she is franticly scratching at her legs,and every part of her body she can reach. She is always scratching herself,and making herself bleed.
This why I want to know if this is ever considered normal for people who have this skin condition ? If it were my child, I'd be doing an elimination diet to try to find out if there were also any foo sensitivities, and be doing other things,like probiotics, stopping the vaccines immediately (I read they can cause,if not exaggeration this) . I keep my mouth shut,and have only made that one suggestion.
But there is this other problem now. When i pick her up ,it feels like she is going limp and her back and upper body curves backwards,her arms go out. She never did this before. I am afraid there might be something neurological going on. I did mention it to dcd one time,asking if she does this with them. But i didn't outright say I felt it wasn't normal. She is working with her dr and dfcs and dfcs even called me last week to check up on them. I told the case worker that the only concern i had at the time was her being almost 12 months and not being on a sippy cup yet,or on table food . The very next time I had her in my care, (monday when she first started FT) dcm brings her with all sippy cups and table food and announces she is officially now off the bottle. She is picky about fruits&veggies,but does eat good for me otherwise.
I hate saying things to them too much in a short period of time,or making it look like Im telling them what to do. because they had to deal with people telling them what to do for the last 6 month and dcm is already stubborn as it is. she even put on her facebook how she will just smile and nod but still do her own thing,so not sure if anything i say ever sinks in. Other than that, they have been great clients,and business/client relationship wise have always followed my rules and went above and beyond with communication/payments/dropping off&picking up on time. But her skin condition and the fact she arches her back every time I pick her up,is concerning to me.
MsLaura529 04:53 AM 04-19-2013
Poor girl. It sounds like since they have tried prescription creams and everything, it might be something more than just "outside factors" fr the eczema. DS has it, never scratched at it or anything, but he has some scar areas on his back and arms from the big patches that were there as a baby. His only seems to be from the cold - it goes away completely in the summer and we don't have to keep up with the lotions and such, but as soon as the cold, dry air comes back, we have to lather him up 2-3 times a day.

Have the parents ever mentioned it possibly being a milk allergy? When DS was an infant, dr suggested switching his formula to soy, so we tried that and after a while realized it didn't make a difference, so we went back to regular. It could be worth a shot just mentioning, "Hey DCM, I know you have a lot on your plate right now, but have you ever thought that maybe DCG could be alergic to something she's eating or drinking? I was reading this article, blah blah blah" ... I get what you're saying about not wanting to be throwing too much at her right now, though.
Heidi 05:52 AM 04-19-2013
You need to sit mom down and tell her she is in for a world of trouble if she doesn't do something. She needs to be pounding down the doctor's door about the eczema.

Yes, it's probably and undiagnosed allergy. My bf is 40 years old and has been living with a wacky immune system most of her life. She is allergic to literally hundreds of things, and it changes constantly. Life with epipens, cortizone cream, pretnizone (sp), and countless allergy pills. Doctors believe it's 100 times worse with her because her parents ignored it. My friend has had to be taken to the emergency room, where they CUT HER CLOSE off of her because it was literally stuck to her (weeping) eczema! In the meantime, her parents kept 4 dogs, 27 Persian cats, and 2 horses. All of which she was allergic to.

It may not be curable, and she may outgrow it. But she needs to do everything in her power to manage it and help her poor little girl.

If this doesn't improve, CPS will be called many more times and become MORE involved, because daycare providers, teachers, dentists, and neighbors will all notice. They will think she isn't taking care of it because she doesn't care. People will notice, and like the FTT, they will think she is not handling it. That's neglect, and that IS abuse.

In all reality, as her dcp, you are already mandated to report this. I know it puts you in a tough spot to tell her that, but a not-so-gentle reminder may make her take action.

Edited to add:

I read this in a way that made is sound like mom's blowing it off, just putting cream on it and otherwise ignoring it because she thinks it will trigger CPS to come out again. When, in all reality NOT dealing with it is more likely to get them involved. If I misunderstood, my apologies.
Evansmom 07:15 AM 04-19-2013
Both my boys had eczema as littles and both eventually got better. 80% of childhood cases resolve by age 3. But I believe ours were causes by milk and environmental allergies which I quickly eliminated from their diet and started them on a daily antihistamine. It helps tremendously!

Once a flare up is triggered tho you have to get it under control with steroid creams and some kind of skin protectant like Eucerin or Aquaphor. DO NOT USE soap to bathe! I know that may sound gross to everyone but with sensitive skin it's SO important to discontinue the use of soap during a flare up. There are some soaps on the market for eczema but in our experience its better to just rinse with clean water. I do still wash hands and feet and genitals with soap during that time but avoid irritated areas and wash at the end of the bath, don't sit in soapy water. And limit water exposure to less than 5 min in luke warm water only. No hot. These simple and inexpensive measures can go a really long way in getting it all under control.
kitkat 09:00 AM 04-19-2013
DD has eczema, dog, cat, and ragweed allergies. She also deals with staph on her cheek. Everyone's eczema is different and what works for one person, might not work for another. It could be a milk allergy or sensitivity causing the flares, but it could also just be environmental and super sensitive skin. A lot of times you won't know what the cause is. Our derm. told us eczema from a food isn't very common, but I don't know and I'm sure others will disagree. Just saying what we were told and I forgot to ask the allergiest.

Evansmom was exactly right about treating the flare ups. The derm told us to use benedryl at night b/c that's when DD seemed to be scratching the most. She is on Zyrtec daily now b/c of the allergies. The parents should talk to the dr to get an exact doseage and the ok for any oral meds. Will they leave and allow you to apply a hydrocortisone cream while she's in your care for the itching? Bleach baths are another thing to try, but they should again talk to the dr. about it. DD just started those (allergist told us to start b/c of the staph). We do 1/4c bleach added to regular bath water 2-3 times a day. It's a little less than what would be in a public swimming pool. DD's face was so much better during the summer, and it's probably because we were at the pool almost daily.

You know the parents, but if it were me, I would stay on them until you see an improvement with the eczema. At the very least, I think you should ask for permission to apply hydrocortisone cream (or ointment) during the day. I would also ask for permission to apply a moisturizing cream (not lotion) and obviously have them supply it. We've had tremendous success with CeraVe cream. It's $15 for a tub, but is WELL worth the money. It's super important to keep eczema skin moisturized.

Well, that's my 2 cents. I hope you are able to work something out with the parents and DCG improves. Sorry I can't help you out with the stuff about lifting her.
Evansmom 12:16 PM 04-19-2013
Just wanted to add that if her flare up is bad enough to be cracked and bleeding there is increased risk of infection. So I would definitely bring that up.
Holiday Park 05:03 PM 04-19-2013
My phone is acting up when I "type" after acertain # of characters. So I'll reply later
Holiday Park 07:47 PM 04-23-2013
Sorry for the little delay in replying. My son was sick (he ended up having his first seizure on Sunday,calling 911,etc...but he's fine now) and has some stuff going on. Anyway, no, I was not implying that I thought they did not care about her eczema. I just know mom is stubborn by nature, and was afraid of sounding like i was being a know it all. Because i know they have been getting people tell them what to do lately(the past few months) .
Today My Dh got off work early,and he told me how she was scratching at her legs really bad. Mom is still bringing her in long pants,and its getting hot now. She can't continue wearing pants. But if she is in anything that exposes her skin,she starts scratching non stop. I know she is very itchy. Today she had what looked like a new rash on her arms and legs,and around her eyes. At Drop off, I saw the red rings around her eyes, but I just thought it was crying,because dcm said she was fussy and had been crying for the last half hour,and on the way to my house in the car. I will have to try to tel mom about my concerns when she drops off on thursday. (shes not coming tomorrow) . I didn't have her yesterday because I closed for my son .
youretooloud 09:18 PM 04-23-2013
My daughter teaches at a drop in daycare place. They got a kid that had it so bad, his skin was peeling, he was bleeding, and couldn't stop scratching.

After a few times of him coming in like that, they called CPS while the parents were out. They felt bad, but it had been like that for a year. CPS called the parents, then took him to a children's hospital to be checked over.

Obviously he isn't ever going back to the drop in place again, but I hope he got some help.

I had it very bad for a few seasons as a kid. In my elbows and behind my knees. It was torture, and I still remember all of it. (that was 45 years ago too) So, I know it's awful for the kids. I hope they get something straightened out soon. I feel bad that the mom is so afraid of CPS that she's too scared to do anything different.
skipper 05:38 AM 04-24-2013
I had a DCK who had exema quite badly, he was a 2 y/o picky eater and one of our fallback meals are scrambled eggs and cheese which he loved. His folks fed him the same in a pinch, this was right around the time the exema worsened. They figured it was due to the dry winter air, but took him to the doctor again anyway... turns out he was allergic to the eggs.
I felt horrible, I still feel sick about it, poor little guy.

We kept him away from the eggs from then on and he was much better, though still had small mild patches from time to time.
Childminder 08:48 AM 04-24-2013
Try bathing the child in mild bleach water solution. You could google the amounts used in eczema bleach bath.
Holiday Park 01:31 PM 04-25-2013
That sounds liek a good idea, but i don't feel comfortable tellign them to do the bleach water solution incase they misunderstand and not even follow the directions correctly. I don't want to be held liable for advice involving bleach if ykwim.

I talked to mom this morning at drop off and said I felt they need to talk to their dr about fixing her problem with constant scratching. I knew it would be a hot day today. Its 76 inside and I'm not turning on the A/C to make it cooler just so she can wear pants . I told her she needs to be brought in shorts and cool clothes for gongi outside because we will be gonig outside more. TRhe only outfit she has packed in her bag are long pants and a long sleeve shirt. It's at least 80F outside, but feels hotter! She said she puts her in pants so she can't scratch as easily. I told her but its too hot for pants. She then said then take them off for outside,and put them right back on immediately after ,when we get back in the house. It was too warm inside,and I took them off and ended up putting socks on her hands.
I just hate seeing her scratch ALL THE time. When i change her diaper, she grabs at every part of her body she can get at,under her clothes,privates,arms,legs... anything that is unclothed. I found out that they do give her an oral medicine for the itch,but obviously its not working.
I feel like I need to let them take her someplace else so they can be told the same things by the next person (and hopefully realize how serious it is) . Because otherwise I might just e telling them the same thing over&over. This morning she knocked on my door 10 minutes early. That's what did it. I waited until 5 till,and told her "your early,your not supposed to be here until 11. And she said traffic wasn't as bad. I have it in my policy that you do not drop off early. I even went over this with them once before. So I don't think it's going to work out at this rate. because i'll jsut be constantly gettin onto them for one thing or another.
AmyKidsCo 02:19 PM 04-25-2013
I have really bad eczema on my hands (not great considering all the hand
washing I do) but I've got it almost all cleared up just by using natural soap and organic lotion. Maybe she'd be willing to try those little changes?
WoodOx 08:00 AM 04-26-2013
I have a DCB who had it since birth. it was terrible.. i felt so bad for him. he constantly rubbed at his face. which made it worse. i had to swaddle him most of the time. he would rub and CLAW at his face and neck. not a good sight. he just could not stop. the main ares that were affected were his face, elbows, wrist and behind the knees. there would be some ooz stuff coming out of most these areas.

mom did not nurse him. i am sure it would have helped him, but she didnt want to nurse again. she has 2 older kids.

the parents did take him to a dermatologist. they gave him some lotions for this and steroid cream too, which helped alot, but the parents did not like using it too much since it thinned his skin out. he had checkups at the dermatologist every month.

he improved when he turned 1yr. now he is 2yrs and his condition has greatly improved. he still scratches but i think he does it out of habit and also when he gets upset.

as for dairy, he drinks cow milk. parents didn't want to give him soy for some reason.

i would moisturize him frequently, to help with itching and dryness.
also he did develope a few stapf infections from broken skin and scratching. he even had a few abcess's which are painful.
so yeah, the DCB was miserable during infancy. he didnt nap well here and didnt sleep well at night either.:[ as for me i was exhausted by the end of the day. he needed a lot of care.

mom did do the blech water bath, and it seemed to help as well. but this boy just couldnt stop scratching.
Unregistered 08:14 AM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
She is 12 months. She was occasional drop in until this week. And I am wondering if she will end up becoming high maintenance very soon ?
Her eczrma has never improved. I have a ftiend who makrs home made soaps and swears that they work for it as her oen child (whos skin would also bleed) and customers eczems practiclly disapeared using this soap. So I gave this soap to them as s gift and for thrm to try out. I never did ask if they tried it. I didnt want to sound like pushy. They have been dealing with cps over s failure to thrive case from when mom
was in denial about noy making enough breast milk and refusjng to usr formula. Some onr called on them (most likely the Dr) when dcg. lost too much weight. Anyeay, the reason Im explaining that back ground info is because when I told her we dont do coes milk and some people who have czema will get it worse withdairy/ cow milk, and , I suggested soy milk
My son had extreme eczema for 3 years (1-4). He would scratch so bad during the night his arms would be bloody in the morning. I had to put him to bed everynight for almost a year with his arms covered in gauze. He had staph infections a dozen times...it was awful. I took him to see every doctor/naturopath I could and tried elminating foods from his diet (his allergy tests came back negative 5x) and gave him baths in everything suggested....all sorts of cream even hydrocodizone (yikes!)...at the time we didn't have pets or carpeted housing...It was a helpless situation and NOTHING worked.

Then just as fast as it came on, it was gone. Just like that.

He still has scars on his arms and I get worried when I see him itch

His need was so high I could never have left him in daycare...he needed me and I needed to know he was okay. His risk of infection was super high and we are just lucky his staph infections never got worse.

NO way I would care for a child with that kind of need/risk especially one with non proactive parents.
Holiday Park 06:43 PM 04-26-2013
I talked to mom and she said they did have allergy testing done and it came out negative. I found out the rash around the eyes,and on the body was from when she tried giving her almond milk. Today, she looked better. That rash was gone. She didn't seem to scratch as much either. I feel bad for sounding impatient in my last post. I have never delt with this before. She is high needs because she acts like she is held all the time (at home) ,and when I put her on the floor she whines at me and has seperation anxiety too 12 months is not an easy job to begin with . Then this morning i noticed mom packed stage 2 baby food again, and I had already told her that at my house she eats table food. So I've been giving her table food and the baby food on the side. (They don't mind me feeding her my food either) If I sit down on the floor to nurse my son,she is trying to climb all over me&my son to get at me.
It would be nice if dcm would just stay home with her but they are in a situation where they both need to work.
Reply Up