Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Down
logged out for privacy 09:38 AM 12-12-2012
The time has come that I need to close down my daycare. It has come on sudden and there is nothing I can do to change it. They will have 3 weeks to find new care.

I feel really awful, just about ill over this. It is better for my family, but I am extremely close to these people, or I feel that I am. I know it isn't my problem, but I want to have a kind heart and not leave them in a bind. Is there any way to soften the blow to them? I know they will have to pay more with someone else and it will be an inconvenience to find someone new. I just feel awful.

Not to mention I will miss these kids terribly! It is my best group ever. I love them all like my own! I am taking this hard.

Please, any advice is appreciated. I know I shouldn't make their problems mine, but I have compassion for these people I've known so long. I feel like what I am doing is crappy, but there is not any way around it.
Play Care 09:47 AM 12-12-2012
I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding the decision, but it sounds like something major is going on. In that case I would be apologetic about it, but I wouldn't beat myself up over it. Things happen and you need to take care of you/your family. Best of luck to you!
Scout 10:55 AM 12-12-2012
You sound like a very caring provider. I don't think I could be mad if someone did this to me. We all need to do the best we can for our own families first. Do not lose sleep over that. Be proud of the fact that you put your family first. Also be proud that you didn't come to this decision lightly, it says a lot about your character. Best of luck.
cheerfuldom 11:07 AM 12-12-2012
If there is no wiggle room for the 3 week notice, there is nothing further you can do to soften the blow. you just do it and hope for the best and move on.
crazydaycarelady 11:57 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by :
If there is no wiggle room for the 3 week notice, there is nothing further you can do to soften the blow. you just do it and hope for the best and move on.
Yep, this is what I was gonna say. Good luck!
SilverSabre25 11:58 AM 12-12-2012
It sounds like there's something serious going on; I wish you and your family all the best.
OP here 05:34 PM 12-15-2012
Thanks for the help. I was able to tell them. They all said they understand, but are understandably sad. I am as well. I am hoping this new chapter in my life goes well. Thanks for all of the support you guys have been, even without you knowing it! I will continue to read the boards and offer when I can.
Countrygal 07:32 PM 12-16-2012
I'm glad things went well for you. If it were me, I think I would offer to help them find good alternative care. Suggest other people you know, tell them you'll act as a reference for them, etc. I know I've had families that were great and I'd want to help them all I could if I were in your situation. I'm sure they would appreciate the offer!
Creek 04:52 AM 12-17-2012
I was facing having to shut down my daycare as well. I was able to give the parents 7 1/2 weeks notice though. I rent a home, and the landlord wants to tear down the home and build new on the large piece of land. So I had no choice but to move. This area is very expensive so we bought a house 25 minutes away. I have decided to stop doing daycare and concentrate on my family. It was hard, I've shed many tears for my families. However, I am now 3 days down until my last day of care and I am content and happy with how things are going. This is going to be good for my family. The daycare families have all worked care out for themselves. Everyone was pretty sad at first, one family seemed almost mad, but everyone gets over it and moves on.

The hardest thing was the fact that I was pushed into closing down. I was not ready to do so, and it sounds like you aren't either. *hugs* Everyone will be ok, and GL to you as well.
Tags:closing daycare
Reply Up