Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
angelwing's Avatar
angelwing angelwing is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3
Unhappy Daycare Termination Question

So this might be long and I apologize but could use some advice. My son has been at the same daycare since he was 10 months old, almost 2 years. We have loved the results we get from her in his manners, education and social skills. At 2 1/2 yo he knew all his upper and lower letters, numbers, shapes and colors. He has started phonics and actually spells out words then tries to spell them out.

However, we've had issues with the DCP where it seems that we are being flexible and there is zero flexibility on her part. First example was when we signed up, it was the same rate for 4 or 5 days. My parents watch DS on Wednesday because the enjoy it. We told her this but that it wouldn't be each week as they take vacation and run a business out of their home and things come up. OK. A bit into it, turns into her deciding that is our "day off". Even if she is closed on a monday and he goes to my parents, we would want to send him the rest of the week and she started insisting no, that was our day off. I guess she ended up booking another child that day, wednesday, which made it difficult to add our son. Instead of arguing about or original agreement we just went with it. We figured the last person we wanted to upset was the person watching our son.

There have been other minor things. However the last thing was potty training. I am pregnant with our second and due in 4 months so we decided to try to potty train. She said to take a 3 day weekend then she'd take over and help out. We had a 2 week time that he would be with her all 5 days so we told her, can we do it this weekend (this was the weekend before last) and then bring him in. Yes. SO we do it, he's doing well and take him monday. TO make a long story short, she starts giving us different stories, tells my husband he only had one accident then tells me wednesday it was multiple accidents. Then says he isn't ready to wait till 4th July weekend, a 3 day weekend. I felt that he was making progress. Not asking to go potty but he'd go #1 and #2 and have 1-2 accidents per day. After going back and forth and having him come home each day in a diaper I finally asked... "I'm sorry, it sounds like you just want us to take him for 3 days, potty train him, then bring him back 100% done." Thinking she'd say no.... she says in an angry voice "yes, that's exactly what I want".

So another long story short, DH and I decided to call around to other places and put up with this till we found another. All DCP's I called said they'd do potty training that way, the way we were doing it and that the schedule was fine. That if we were paying for 5 days, they were our days. We were paying for his spot no matter.

Friday night, after our big u/s (another boy!) we go to pick him up and the DCP starts berating my husband about this and that then says we need to decide if we want to give our 2 week notice on monday.

Right then we decided that someone that angry and unable to work with us, wouldn't be the person to watch our son.

We paid a $175 last week deposit when we signed. We get two weeks vacation at a 1/2 weeks rate (our rate is now $160 per week). We wrote her the notice and left it for her this morning. That we'd use our two weeks vacation for our last two weeks and since that total would be $160 (2 half weeks at $80 each) then teh $175 deposit would cover it and she could keep the $15.

Her termination procedure in your contract states that we need to give 2 weeks notice which we did. BUt she could terminate without any notice or 2 weeks written (DH is considering her comments giving notice since it was pretty threatening, who would take their kids back after that?). It doesn't say you can't use your vacation, we haven't used any.

She called and left me a message today saying we couldn't use the vacation. That the $175 deposit covered next week but we still owe her for this week. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,305
Default

Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum AngelWing!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,028
Default

If you signed a contract, you are obligated to honor it. Others may disagree with me, but if you haven't used your vacation, I think you have the right to use your last two weeks as vacation.

IMHO, if you paid for 5 days a week, then she had no right to fill your spot on Weds. You were already paying for that spot.

It sounds like it's time for you to pull your son and move on. You may have called a friend of hers which is causing hostility on her part.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

I think you need to check the exact wording of the contract; if it does not explicitly state that you may not use vacation time for your last two weeks, then I think you are in the right and do not owe her anything. IF, however, there is language saying that you can't use your vacation or that the deposit is just a deposit (i.e. it doesn't specify that it's for your last week of care), or anything like that, then you should probably either discuss things with her or just pay her. It all depends on the wording.

FWIW, my contract specifies that "no vacation time may be used by the daycare family during the last two weeks of care" and that "two full weeks of pay are required even if the child will not be attending care".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

I expect 2 full weeks notice and pay when a family terminates. Deals on vacation weeks apply to families under contract, not those that are leaving.

That being said...she's been making you pay for Wed's and you can't use them? That's totally wrong on her part. I do a bit of dropin care around my fulltime families but they pay for the spots so of course they get to use them whenever they're contracted.

Regarding potty training I expect them to be trained before I take over. They have to wear pullups here until they're dry for 2 weeks straight all day and then pullups at naptime until I decide otherwise. 1 or 2 accidents a day coupled with the fact that your son is not telling anyone he needs to go means he isn't quite ready yet. Children HAVE to be able to verbally express that they need to go. Think about it.....5 or 6 kids....noone saying they have to go plus 1 to 2 accidents a day each. It just isn't managable for one person. It's also unsanitary since each accident contaminates the play area.

Good luck finding a new provider!! Sounds like she wasn't enjoying her job too much.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default you don't need to pay

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Be sure to read your contract thoroughly. It sounds like you don't need to pay her and that you can use your 2 weeks vacation coming to you - but even vacations usually have perimeters of notification, etc. As long as everything's in order and the contract isn't clear or doesn't specifically exclude, you shouldn't have to pay.

Her potty training policy is wrong by the usual and customary industry standard - by the time your child will be ready, it will be past the ready point and the kid will be 3.5 - 4 years old probably. All kids going through training have accidents and it's normal to have 1 accident or more per day during that time. It's virtually impossible to fully potty train a child in 3 days until the child is 3.5-4+ years old. It's difficult with in homes because they usually don't have 2 teachers. In a 2 teacher environment, it's much easier because one can deal with the accident while the other stays with the kids. I recommend you search for care where there are 2 teacher classrooms so they can better potty train your child. I believe that daycares are responsible for potty training as well as parents, especially when most kids are there full time. What's most important is that the daycare be willing to work with you and respect your wishes as the child's parents, not take the "my way or the highway" approach.

I think it's so ironic that daycares get SO angry when customers leave. Customers rarely ever leave to find another local daycare because they're happy with their current care. Customers leave because they aren't happy with their current care. You attempted to discuss these issues with her and her true colors came out. I judge daycares by how they handle conflict. Conflict isn't a bad thing, it's inevitable - it's how each of you deals with it that makes or breaks the relationship. Here, her true colors came out and it looks like she was ok as long as she was in control of everything, but as soon as you questioned her, she got defensive. How bad is that when she got angry with you for asking about potty training?! And she starts in on your husband when she finds out you are looking for other care?! What did she expect? She chose to not follow your potty training requests, which obviously she didn't make clear to you prior to your choosing her for care. She chose to charge you for full time and then fill your child's spot on the day off - I think that it's actually reportable. In our state, you pay for the spot and daycares cannot fill it. Of course, she was going to initially tell you that it'd be ok for you to take the kid on Wednesdays, knowing full well she was going to fill it with another child so she'd get even more money.

You're better off going somewhere else. One thing that I judge daycares by is how flexible they are as well - too much flexibility is bad and too strict is bad - it's hard to find the right balance on the issues that are important to you as a parent. You will find it - just don't rule out anything, I can't stress that enough - be sure to get recommendations from your friends, co workers, neighbors.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM
GretasLittleFriends GretasLittleFriends is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 936
Default

I agree with Meyou 100% about potty training. Personally I'd much rather change a stinky smelly diaper rather than needing to keep the kids occupied/distracted while trying to sanitize my play area because someone had an accident. Yes I understand accidents happen, but needing to sanitize everything (and potentially wash carpets) 2 times (or more) every day is NOT acceptable to me or the kids in my care.

One thing to look closely at is the vacation wording in your contract. Mine reads:
Quote:
If you are going to be out for any reason, please let me know at least 24 hours ahead of time. If you are going to be out for vacation, let me know at least four weeks in advance. I will not charge you for two weeks of vacation time. If you take more than two weeks vacation, you will pay whether your child(ren) is here or not. If you notify me less than 24 hours of your child's absence or your child is picked up early without prior arrangement you will be charged for the whole day.
Since I require a 4 week notice of vacation, it would not be allowable to use it during your two week notice. Unless you told me this week you were going on vacation say Aug 1st through the 14th, then the 29th of July you gave me your two week notice. Since you already had your vacation planned then, I would accept it.

My termination procedures read:
Quote:
The first 10 days are probationary period for the provider, parent and child. This agreement may be terminated at any time during this period. I require a two week paid notice prior to removal of your child (three week notice if more than one child) from daycare. I will provide the parents with two weeks written notice if I am no longer able to care for your child.

I will terminate our child care arrangements immediately for any of the following reasons (but not solely limited to):
  • Inability to meet the child's needs without additional staff.
That is just one out of my list of reasons to terminate immediately. Though I could see it being used if I was CONSTANTLY needing to sanitize and trying to watch 6+ other kids, and the parents not working with me.

Providers have these notices and time frames in their contract for a reason. By you giving her a two week notice gives her two weeks heads up about needing to find a new source of income. $160 a week may not seem like much but over a month, that's about 1/2 my mortgage. To lose that without notice and a chance to replace/supplement that income could cause a financial hardship. A lot of us don't just do daycare because we like to play with children, we do it to provide for our own families as well.
__________________
Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,635
Default

"However, we've had issues with the DCP where it seems that we are being flexible and there is zero flexibility on her part."

When we make exceptions for one parent we have to make them for all. It is exhausting and unrealistic in group care.

"First example was when we signed up, it was the same rate for 4 or 5 days."

This is common. Using 4 days takes up a slot for the entire week. The State limits the number of kids we can keep and our bills generally stay the same.

My parents watch DS on Wednesday because the enjoy it. A bit into it, turns into her deciding that is our "day off".... we would want to send him the rest of the week and she started insisting no, that was our day off. I guess she ended up booking another child that day, Wednesday, which made it difficult to add our son. Instead of arguing about or original agreement we just went with it. We figured the last person we wanted to upset was the person watching our son.

If this was included in your most recent signed contract then it is valid. If it was not stated anywhere that he could not attend on Wednesdays the contract would be invalid. If it is invalid, then it is not enforceable. If she filled the slot that you were paying for, that would be unethical.

I felt that he was making progress. Not asking to go potty but he'd go #1 and #2 and have 1-2 accidents per day. After going back and forth and having him come home each day in a diaper I finally asked... "I'm sorry, it sounds like you just want us to take him for 3 days, potty train him, then bring him back 100% done." Thinking she'd say no.... she says in an angry voice "yes, that's exactly what I want".

This is a common misconception. Potty training is a parental responsibility, not the providers. I would not even begin taking him to the potty until he could look me in the eye and Verbally ASK to go to the potty. Until he consistently asked me to go, without accidents in my home, for two weeks he could not wear cloth undergarments in group child care. Expecting a provider to deal with that many accidents each day is an unrealistic expectation in group childcare. Potty training is the Achilles heel of daycare. It is sad so many kids have to be moved from a place they were happy in for something that won't even be relevant next year.

So another long story short, DH and I decided to call around to other places and put up with this till we found another. All DC P's I called said they'd do potty training that way, the way we were doing it and that the schedule was fine. That if we were paying for 5 days, they were our days. We were paying for his spot no matter.

Be careful of providers who make lots of promises to get you in the door.

Friday night, after our big u/s (another boy!) we go to pick him up and the DC starts berating my husband about this and that then says we need to decide if we want to give our 2 week notice on Monday.

Right then we decided that someone that angry and unable to work with us, wouldn't be the person to watch our son.

I have never had a one sided argument in my life. I am willing to bet hers was not either.

We paid a $175 last week deposit when we signed. We get two weeks vacation at a 1/2 weeks rate (our rate is now $160 per week). We wrote her the notice and left it for her this morning. That we'd use our two weeks vacation for our last two weeks and since that total would be $160 (2 half weeks at $80 each) then the $175 deposit would cover it and she could keep the $15.

Vacation time is a courtesy given in hopes of the parents taking their children for some one on one time each year. Few providers offer it. Even fewer parents take it. It does not count as two week termination notice. Sorry.

Her termination procedure in your contract states that we need to give 2 weeks notice which we did. But she could terminate without any notice or 2 weeks written (DH is considering her comments giving notice since it was pretty threatening, who would take their kids back after that?). It doesn't say you can't use your vacation, we haven't used any.

Rationalizing it for your benefit does not make it legal. You know that or you would not be asking, IMHO.

She called and left me a message today saying we couldn't use the vacation. That the $175 deposit covered next week but we still owe her for this week. What do you guys think?

If the most recent contract stated that your child could not attend on Wednesdays then you owe it.

If it did not she needs to cut her losses and learn from it.

I do wish you good luck. I really do. Everything you stated is so common it makes me nuts to hear it is not discussed in the initial interviews. I cover it all before the child is even born, here.

I am also sad to hear a situation that was so great initially had to end because of lack of communication and unreasonable expectations of group child care.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Her potty training policy is wrong by the usual and customary industry standard.
In what State in the US???????????????????

Is this maybe another country??

It is all about infectious disease control within mixed age group settings. I don't know about you but I would not want my kids in a dirty/contaminated environment.

We are talking urine and feces here... With infants on the floor.

If a parent wants a potty training program, they need to go to a center that offers one. Those have appropriately sized toilets and extra providers JUST FOR THAT. Be aware that there is a COST for that as well.

It is unfair to expect small, mixed group, providers who do not offer that service to bend to your will
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM
emosks's Avatar
emosks emosks is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 289
Default

Sounds like she is not interested in PTing your child. But I'm not either. I require 100% participation at home before we even attempt it here in my daycare.

As far as vacation...you would not be able to use it for your last 2 weeks here either. My contract reads this:

*YOUR VACATION DAYS (DAILY CHILDREN ONLY)
You will not be charged for up to 1 daycare week (contracted weekly days) per family per year, provided you give us at least a 2 week notice. Example: Your children are in care for 3 days a week then you will get 3 days of vacation. In addition to the one contracted week you are allowed an extra contracted week at half price and must be paid to us prior to your vacation . Anything after that will be charged full price to hold your spot. This is based on a contract year, not calendar year. Vacation days do not roll over to the next year. You may not use vacation time for your last two weeks of care with A Place to Grow Child Care.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM
angelwing's Avatar
angelwing angelwing is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you for all of your replies.

First, we did find another DCP and have been extremely happy. Our son started yesterday and didn't have 1 accident all day including when he came home.

Second, regarding some of the questions/comments. Our contract was for 5 days. the reason I mentioned the same price for 4 or 5 is that DS was going for 4 sometimes 5. If it had been we were going for 3 sometimes 4 there would have been a price difference and we would have only been scheduled for 3 and the other 2 not a problem. Our original agreement was we were paying for the whole week with occasional wednesdays not there. She went back on that, we decided to work with her than fight her.

The potty training plan was originally her idea. We start for the weekend then bring him in, she'd take over the rest. She DIDN'T want us to use pull-up, SHE wanted him straight into training pants. SHE was the one who told us how to do it. And she knew he wasn't asking to go, she said that would follow. We followed her lead on this. A few days into it, she started changing her story. He had 1 accident monday and 1 on tuesday and then complained to me he was having multiple accidents. I asked her which and she said the two total counted as multiple. She wanted us to try again the next 3 day weekend which at the time was only 9 days away. My husband and I thought it would be harder on our son to stop, put him back in diapers then start again a week later. We offered a compromise. Let's put in pull-ups, maintain the schedule, and go from there. NO she said. So that's when I asked what she wanted. She wanted him done in three days, and that she pretty much wouldn't do anything. My ONLY problem is the changing of plans. If you tell us you want to do it one way and you'll work with us, and then change it a few days in, that's difficult.

Her termination clause has nothing regarding vacation. I WANT to follow the contract to the tee. I'm not one to just blow off my obligations and what I owe but I don't want to be taken advantage of. I do have to look to see if her vacation part has something about needing X weeks notice as that would be a problem. However the termination part just says two weeks notice paid. I'll pay it if we can't use the vacation, bottom line.

I know potty training is a sore topic and that's why I wanted to work with her... I never gave her the ultimatum on how I wanted it done, I followed her lead from the beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwing View Post
Thank you for all of your replies.

First, we did find another DCP and have been extremely happy. Our son started yesterday and didn't have 1 accident all day including when he came home.

Second, regarding some of the questions/comments. Our contract was for 5 days. the reason I mentioned the same price for 4 or 5 is that DS was going for 4 sometimes 5. If it had been we were going for 3 sometimes 4 there would have been a price difference and we would have only been scheduled for 3 and the other 2 not a problem. Our original agreement was we were paying for the whole week with occasional wednesdays not there. She went back on that, we decided to work with her than fight her.

The potty training plan was originally her idea. We start for the weekend then bring him in, she'd take over the rest. She DIDN'T want us to use pull-up, SHE wanted him straight into training pants. SHE was the one who told us how to do it. And she knew he wasn't asking to go, she said that would follow. We followed her lead on this. A few days into it, she started changing her story. He had 1 accident monday and 1 on tuesday and then complained to me he was having multiple accidents. I asked her which and she said the two total counted as multiple. She wanted us to try again the next 3 day weekend which at the time was only 9 days away. My husband and I thought it would be harder on our son to stop, put him back in diapers then start again a week later. We offered a compromise. Let's put in pull-ups, maintain the schedule, and go from there. NO she said. So that's when I asked what she wanted. She wanted him done in three days, and that she pretty much wouldn't do anything. My ONLY problem is the changing of plans. If you tell us you want to do it one way and you'll work with us, and then change it a few days in, that's difficult.

Her termination clause has nothing regarding vacation. I WANT to follow the contract to the tee. I'm not one to just blow off my obligations and what I owe but I don't want to be taken advantage of. I do have to look to see if her vacation part has something about needing X weeks notice as that would be a problem. However the termination part just says two weeks notice paid. I'll pay it if we can't use the vacation, bottom line.

I know potty training is a sore topic and that's why I wanted to work with her... I never gave her the ultimatum on how I wanted it done, I followed her lead from the beginning.
After this post with more detail I want you to know you sound like someone I would like to have here.

I think you may have just run into an newer/less experienced group provider or one who was used to caring for her own children. Her potty training plan confirms it for me.

I am so glad to hear your son is doing so well. Sending good vibes for a wonderful transiton!!!
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,415
Default

judging just from the way she was approaching potty training, I am thinking she never potty trained a kid before and her expectations and communications were sorely lacking. one accident a day in the first week of training is a great success so I don't know what she is complaining about. As for the contract, read it over and let us know what it says. Annoying as it may be, you might have to pay in full to get out of there and avoid small claims court. you can't take her frustration in one conversation as an official notice of termination and you did accept the Wed. situation by not speaking up so that issue is already done with, totally separate from this one.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM
angelwing's Avatar
angelwing angelwing is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
After this post with more detail I want you to know you sound like someone I would like to have here.

I think you may have just run into an newer/less experienced group provider or one who was used to caring for her own children. Her potty training plan confirms it for me.

I am so glad to hear your son is doing so well. Sending good vibes for a wonderful transiton!!!
Thank you. We had another day of no accidents. So he's been accident free for 2 days straight.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,028
Default

It sounds like this was the right move for your son and your family.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwing View Post
Thank you. We had another day of no accidents. So he's been accident free for 2 days straight.
Awesome!!
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
In what State in the US???????????????????

Is this maybe another country??

It is all about infectious disease control within mixed age group settings. I don't know about you but I would not want my kids in a dirty/contaminated environment.

We are talking urine and feces here... With infants on the floor.

If a parent wants a potty training program, they need to go to a center that offers one. Those have appropriately sized toilets and extra providers JUST FOR THAT. Be aware that there is a COST for that as well.

It is unfair to expect small, mixed group, providers who do not offer that service to bend to your will
No, it's not another country. Stop the sarcasm, just because I don't agree with your viewpoint. And yes, it's a viewpoint, not fact or even theory. The group that posts here isn't representative of all daycares throughout the country. Have you talked with other providers outside of your state other than through this forum? Have you done any research on the internet of other home based and center based providers and their potty training programs? I did some reseach to see if your view was widely held. It is standard to offer some sort of potty training program as part of your program regardless if you're home based or center based. And in my state, it's a licensing standard, so there is no choice for licensed providers here. I've never heard of anything less than, even in home providers, so the group on here saying that they won't is a huge exception IMHO. Maybe in your area it's standard to offer it, but I've never heard of a provider not offering any potty training whatsoever and that a child needs to be 100% potty trained at home to even try it at daycare. Kids still have accidents at age 5 - if they play too long and wait too long, it happens. I think it's pretty naive of you to think that customers wouldn't want a potty training service and that even asking would be asking you to bend to our will - it's a very reasonable expectation considering that most full time kids spend more time with you per day than their parents Mon-Fri. And both parents working full time is the standard nowadays, too. This isn't the 1950s. And I couldn't find a single item on the internet to support your view on potty training - on the contrary, everything I found supported that good daycare providers offer potty training programs that meet the needs of each individual child. I was hard pressed to even find providers that offered similar views to yours other than this forum. There were a few but it was literally 9:1 in favor of in daycare potty training programs. There are many other daycare forum sites and parenting sites out there as well as just googling daycares in each state. So I think it's safe to say that your view is an exception to the standard. Potty training isn't subjecting everyone to a dirty, contaminated environment - potty training doesn't begin with undies, it begins with pull ups and ends with undies. Obviously, kids have set backs and plans may need to change if the child simply isn't ready. I would never choose a provider who refused to potty train children all together. The centers and home providers in our area charge the exact same rate - I know because I've called every single one of them to compare over the years, so no, customers don't pay extra for potty training through centers in our area. One thing that is nice about centers is that virtually all of them are better equipped for potty training because good centers have 2 person classrooms and in room bathrooms, usually 2 toilets per room.

To the OP, I'm glad that things worked out and you found another provider.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwing View Post
Thank you. We had another day of no accidents. So he's been accident free for 2 days straight.
That is great and glad to hear your son is doing so well! Did you end up having to pay for your final two weeks or was your vacation time permitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
It sounds like this was the right move for your son and your family.
My thoughts exactly!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,635
Default

Stop the sarcasm, just because I don't agree with your viewpoint.

It was not sarcasm..it was a valid question. Yes, I could have laid off with the question marks but your post was equally inflammatory.

"Wrong by the usual and customary industry standard" is a FALSE statement. I know of NO State that mandates a private child care provider to offer potty training as part of her service. It does NOT exist.


And yes, it's a viewpoint, not fact or even theory.

Much like yours.

The group that posts here isn't representative of all daycares throughout the country.

And neither are yours.

Have you talked with other providers outside of your state other than through this forum?

Of course. I have done childcare in three States, traveling with my husbands job. I have done the employee education and risk management for a huge national chain. I had 60 franchise owners to monitor in my region. This is a capitalist society where the owners decide what services they offer even if the franchise does not recommend some things.

Have you done any research on the internet of other home based and center based providers and their potty training programs?

Yes, and they all decide what works best for their program.

never heard of a provider not offering any potty training whatsoever and that a child needs to be 100% potty trained at home to even try it at daycare.

That is not what was stated. It was stated that the child should be familiar enough with the process and VERBAL enough to ask to go to the potty before beginning using the potty in group childcare. I don't think that is unreasonable in ANY way.

Kids still have accidents at age 5 - if they play too long and wait too long, it happens.


Absolutely, but that is NOT what we were talking about here.


I think it's pretty naive of you to think that customers wouldn't want a potty training service and that even asking would be asking you to bend to our will -

Again, absolutely, they may. If so they need to find a program that offers it.

it's a very reasonable expectation considering that most full time kids spend more time with you per day than their parents Mon-Fri. And both parents working full time is the standard nowadays, too. This isn't the 1950s.

Again, this is a parents choice. What does that have to do with me requiring a child to ask me to take them to the potty? I have to put all infants in their cribs for safety to be able to take them. It is not unrealistic in any way.

And I couldn't find a single item on the internet to support your view on potty training - on the contrary, everything I found supported that good daycare providers offer potty training programs that meet the needs of each individual child.

As far as I understand everyone here does. We just require the child to ask to go.

I was hard pressed to even find providers that offered similar views to yours other than this forum.

You also would be hard pressed to find providers successful enough in this industry to still be around to give advice as long as I have. Most of us are just new to the internet world.

There were a few but it was literally 9:1 in favor of in daycare potty training programs.

State your sources, I love to see that backed up.

There are many other daycare forum sites and parenting sites out there as well as just googling daycares in each state. So I think it's safe to say that your view is an exception to the standard.

I disagree. I believe your search was started with false information with your misunderstanding and choosing to believe that we do nothing. We do, AFTER the child can verbally ask us to take them potty.

Potty training isn't subjecting everyone to a dirty, contaminated environment - potty training doesn't begin with undies, it begins with pull ups and ends with undies.

I agree. That is exactly how I do it as well. Once the child can ASK me to go potty.

Obviously, kids have set backs and plans may need to change if the child simply isn't ready.

Agreed.

I would never choose a provider who refused to potty train children all together.

Agreed. Here, I do my part once a child can ask me to go potty.

The centers and home providers in our area charge the exact same rate - I know because I've called every single one of them to compare over the years, so no, customers don't pay extra for potty training through centers in our area.

They obviously have pull-ups/diapers before cloth undergarment rules. Many parents want to start in cloth to save money. I think you are purposely missing the point, now.

One thing that is nice about centers is that virtually all of them are better equipped for potty training because good centers have 2 person classrooms and in room bathrooms, usually 2 toilets per room.

I agree, that is why I need them to be able to tell me they need to go BEFORE I take them; To get the other kids in a safe area so I can focus my attention on only one child for a few minutes. This is not rocket science, IMHO.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No, it's not another country. Stop the sarcasm, just because I don't agree with your viewpoint. And yes, it's a viewpoint, not fact or even theory. The group that posts here isn't representative of all daycares throughout the country. Have you talked with other providers outside of your state other than through this forum? Have you done any research on the internet of other home based and center based providers and their potty training programs? I did some reseach to see if your view was widely held. It is standard to offer some sort of potty training program as part of your program regardless if you're home based or center based. And in my state, it's a licensing standard, so there is no choice for licensed providers here. I've never heard of anything less than, even in home providers, so the group on here saying that they won't is a huge exception IMHO. Maybe in your area it's standard to offer it, but I've never heard of a provider not offering any potty training whatsoever and that a child needs to be 100% potty trained at home to even try it at daycare. Kids still have accidents at age 5 - if they play too long and wait too long, it happens. I think it's pretty naive of you to think that customers wouldn't want a potty training service and that even asking would be asking you to bend to our will - it's a very reasonable expectation considering that most full time kids spend more time with you per day than their parents Mon-Fri. And both parents working full time is the standard nowadays, too. This isn't the 1950s. And I couldn't find a single item on the internet to support your view on potty training - on the contrary, everything I found supported that good daycare providers offer potty training programs that meet the needs of each individual child. I was hard pressed to even find providers that offered similar views to yours other than this forum. There were a few but it was literally 9:1 in favor of in daycare potty training programs. There are many other daycare forum sites and parenting sites out there as well as just googling daycares in each state. So I think it's safe to say that your view is an exception to the standard. Potty training isn't subjecting everyone to a dirty, contaminated environment - potty training doesn't begin with undies, it begins with pull ups and ends with undies. Obviously, kids have set backs and plans may need to change if the child simply isn't ready. I would never choose a provider who refused to potty train children all together. The centers and home providers in our area charge the exact same rate - I know because I've called every single one of them to compare over the years, so no, customers don't pay extra for potty training through centers in our area. One thing that is nice about centers is that virtually all of them are better equipped for potty training because good centers have 2 person classrooms and in room bathrooms, usually 2 toilets per room.

To the OP, I'm glad that things worked out and you found another provider.
Wow

Your experience is completely different than mine. I don't recognize most of what you are saying here. I've done care for a lot of years and counselled hundreds of providers.

This is my potty training letter to parents. http://daycare.com/nannyde/potty-tra...to-parents.htm

As you can see in this... we are on opposite ends of the spectrum. What you consider to be standard I've only heard of as failure techniques.


To the OP

You may have a provider that is just using her own diapers and just taking it off the child right before you come.

The reason I say this is that your child going from not being able to tell the provider they have to go before they have to go is ... to me... a sure sign that he is going to pee on the floor/equipment/chairs etc. all day long when he is in a group and at a strangers house.

I think there is a GOOD chance you are being fooled. Times are tough now and many providers know that potty training is a HOT button with parents. They know that to many parents it's a sign of giftedness or being advanced AND the money incentive to having the kid in undies is HIGH. She may have figured it's just best to keep the kid in diapers at her expense and tell you what you want to hear because she needs the money.

If you provide the nap diaper she is most likely just having to provide two or three diapers a day. That's WAY cheaper than cleaning up pee from the carpet/equipment and doing a full clothing change.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default just google it

[quote=Catherder;123452]There were a few but it was literally 9:1 in favor of in daycare potty training programs.

State your sources, I love to see that backed up.

There are many other daycare forum sites and parenting sites out there as well as just googling daycares in each state. So I think it's safe to say that your view is an exception to the standard.

I disagree. I believe your search was started with false information with your misunderstanding and choosing to believe that we do nothing. We do, AFTER the child can verbally ask us to take them potty.

Sources? Don't need to . . . just google it, I still can't find any quantity of sites to support your view. I actually used to do internet research for a living, I tried like heck to find lots of sites to support your view, but I couldn't regardless of how I searched. Sure I found some, but not nearly as much as against. Again, areas differ in philosophies. But hey, as long you are up front with parents in writing about your potty training policies and your parents are ok with it. The OPs' expectation was different than her providers and I find the parents opinion to be the norm of expectation amongst customers. I'm glad the OP got her situation resolved and I'm glad that she posted her thread. It's nice to see posts from parents on their expectations - it really keeps things up to date amongst providers on what customers really want and expect and those things change (trending).
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default respect your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Wow

Your experience is completely different than mine. I don't recognize most of what you are saying here. I've done care for a lot of years and counselled hundreds of providers.

This is my potty training letter to parents. http://daycare.com/nannyde/potty-tra...to-parents.htm

As you can see in this... we are on opposite ends of the spectrum. What you consider to be standard I've only heard of as failure techniques.


To the OP

You may have a provider that is just using her own diapers and just taking it off the child right before you come.

The reason I say this is that your child going from not being able to tell the provider they have to go before they have to go is ... to me... a sure sign that he is going to pee on the floor/equipment/chairs etc. all day long when he is in a group and at a strangers house.

I think there is a GOOD chance you are being fooled. Times are tough now and many providers know that potty training is a HOT button with parents. They know that to many parents it's a sign of giftedness or being advanced AND the money incentive to having the kid in undies is HIGH. She may have figured it's just best to keep the kid in diapers at her expense and tell you what you want to hear because she needs the money.

If you provide the nap diaper she is most likely just having to provide two or three diapers a day. That's WAY cheaper than cleaning up pee from the carpet/equipment and doing a full clothing change.
I completely respect your opinion and read your letter. It makes sense if it works for the particular children you have and you have a definate advantage of being able to be very selective about you accept into your daycare. (you have an extensive interview process and I'm assuming that you cover this topic in full with the parents so they are on board) Unfortunately, most daycares don't have that luxury, expecially with this economy. The potty training issue is a hot button issue, because many preschool programs prevent 3 year olds from joining until they are fully potty trained. Doctors actually say boys usually aren't ready until age 3.5. Just curious, it's off topic, but what do you recommend in that case? Clearly, a child shouldn't be held back from a preschool program simply because of potty training, because the learning at that level is different than in the toddler programs, but the rules are the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I completely respect your opinion and read your letter. It makes sense if it works for the particular children you have and you have a definate advantage of being able to be very selective about you accept into your daycare. (you have an extensive interview process and I'm assuming that you cover this topic in full with the parents so they are on board) Unfortunately, most daycares don't have that luxury, expecially with this economy. The potty training issue is a hot button issue, because many preschool programs prevent 3 year olds from joining until they are fully potty trained. Doctors actually say boys usually aren't ready until age 3.5. Just curious, it's off topic, but what do you recommend in that case? Clearly, a child shouldn't be held back from a preschool program simply because of potty training, because the learning at that level is different than in the toddler programs, but the rules are the rules.
I don't believe kids need preschool so I don't really have an opinion on whether a three year old should be able to get into a preschool before they are potty trained.

When Centers and PreK have these regs it's about money not about development. They usually max out the adult to child ratio so they can make the most money. They also don't want to have to supply the State required diaper changing equipment and the space for that. They don't want their staff spending time toilet training. It's labor intensive and the clean up/switch clothing/get stock clothing from parents is VERY costly in staff time. The staff don't want to do it also so if you get a bunch of kids who really aren't trained who have parents claiming they are trained then you are going to have some very very unhappy staff which will lead to even more turnover than they already have.

I take infants into my day care so I don't discuss potty training at the interview unless the parents bring it up. It's so far away from newborn care. I usually talk about it once the parent says the child is showing signs of being ready. Most often the signs are not indicators that the child is ready but newbie parents see it as that.

The training is really more for the parents than the kid. If you wait until the kid is ready it only takes a day or two here. It's been many years since I've had a potty "accident" here. I think maybe about four years or more. I don't switch to undies until they have a full two straight weeks of being dry all day long. I don't use pull ups unless that's specifically what the parents want. Pull ups are a hassle.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Withdrawal Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
If you signed a contract, you are obligated to honor it. Others may disagree with me, but if you haven't used your vacation, I think you have the right to use your last two weeks as vacation.

IMHO, if you paid for 5 days a week, then she had no right to fill your spot on Weds. You were already paying for that spot.

It sounds like it's time for you to pull your son and move on. You may have called a friend of hers which is causing hostility on her part.
I Totally agree and this is coming from a childcare provider who has a contract.

Her contract should have specfically mentioned that you could not use your two weeks vacation-which it didn't. If she had a withdrawal procedure in her contract, it should have also said the steps for you to take when waithdrawing your child from her care; which should have also included that parents are not permitted to use their two weeks holidays.

On top of that you did pay for 5 days a week, so technically she OWES you money for the one day out of the week she refused to provide care. She actually voided your contract when she gave YOUR child's spot to someone else and could only provide care 4 days out of the week. In conclusion, if she tries to take you to court I believe you would win. I would immediately withdraw your child, send her another letter and at the top of it write 'Without Prejudice" and specfically quote her withdrawl procedures as well as her Parents Vacation policy, and then go on to say that it does not state you can not use your two weeks vacation. I would also quote the section that states the number of days per week care is provided. Then after it is mentioned, I would inform write that you were only permitted to bring (your child's name) 4 days per week, as you had given his spot to someone else, and if she seeks legal action against you, you will counter sue for all the days you were not permitted to bring your son - which, depending on how many months or years you were with her, and the daily rate, could total well over $3250 (if it was $25.00 Per day, and for 2.5 years), and furthermore you will also counter sue her for cost of additional daycare you had to pay for that one day your child was not permitted to attend. This would double the amount. You will find, that she will NOT pursue this matter any more. If she does-she is a fool! I hope this has helped.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lack of communication, parental responsibility, potty training policy, provider responsibility, termination, unrealistic expectations

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare marylmr Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 56 07-30-2019 06:47 PM
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 107 03-11-2015 03:09 PM
Question for Unlicensed Daycare? Denise Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 20 06-08-2012 12:41 PM
Daycare Room Question littlemonkeys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 34 01-26-2011 09:03 PM
Signing In and Out of Daycare Question Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 9 09-20-2010 04:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming