Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sibling section in contract?
DaycareMom 09:08 AM 02-01-2012
I was wondering if any of you had a section in your phb that had to do with siblings. Here is my situation :

I care for 2 yo dcb. His brother goes to preschool so I do not care for him, but he gets sick ALL THE TIME!!! In the past 3 weeks, he has gotten the stomach bug going around, conjunctivitis, and pneumonia. I was also just told one of his classmates has hand foot and mouth disease so he has been exposed to that as well. The thing is, dcb I care for never seems to get sick but gets my children and all the other dcks sick. My husband thinks I should term, but this family is awesome. Dcb is sweet and well behaved, parents always how up on time and pay on time.

I was thinking if I put a "sibling clause" in my contract that if sibling is sick, dcb can't come until brothers symptoms are no longer contagious ...

Not sure how to word it or if it's unfair ...

Let me know what you all think and do ... Thank you!
familyschoolcare 09:21 AM 02-01-2012
My concern for this type of policy is that instead of keeping DCB home the parents just will not tell you that the sibling is sick. How is that going to help the situation? So will you exclude a child if the parent is sick? I do not understand this policy.
DaycareMom 09:26 AM 02-01-2012
Yes, I guess that is why I was asking ... it seems unfair but at the same time, I have to look out for my children and all the other dcks, ya know?

My family and the other kids I care for have NEVER been this sick and it seems to be getting worse.

I was hoping someone could tell me what they would do in this situation ...
Crazy8 09:33 AM 02-01-2012
Honestly, half the time DCB has been exposed to things before his brother even comes down with it. Sounds like he just has a stronger immune system that fights it off.

I couldn't see putting a clause like that in my contract, just too many variables.
Cat Herder 09:41 AM 02-01-2012
I have a sibling policy, it works wonders, but my program is very different than yours.

I don't do part time, drop-in, SA's or split shifts (school/preschool). My clients children are all 3 and under. I am my clients only provider so it is not really a burden for them; they would be at home anyway. I also offer a significant discount to make it worth the trouble for my clients. It works fair in both directions

Having the sibling at two different settings WILL bring in twice the illnesses... that is why I don't provide services for those clients.

I don't think I'd be able to include illness of a sibling, in the contract, that was not enrolled here, though. Honestly, my worst illness problems are from Nurses/Doctors kids.... The ones I have had were so desensitized that they no longer notice symptoms of illness in their own kids... It is not purposeful, they just see so much bad stuff it takes alot to get their attention. I used to be guilty of the same. It is like mechanics cars, I guess..

I need a Healthcare Provider Policy......hmmm.....
itlw8 11:28 AM 02-01-2012
does sibling come in with mom to pick up the younger one? Even when sick? Have the child wait outside if sick. Make sure mom washes her hands before picking up the younger child.

Can she pick up the little one before the big one as to not carry the germs into your house?
Texasjeepgirl 11:40 AM 02-01-2012
I do have a sibling policy in my PARENT HANDBOOK...but.. it is specifically referring to the instance of both (or more) siblings IN MY DAYCARE... I currently have 2 sets of siblings...3 year old boy with 6 month old baby sister...
and 3 year old girl with 12 month old baby brother...

I do have 1 child in care who has 2 older .. school age siblings... but. I've never tried to impose my sibling rule on them as you describe...
Not sure that would 'fly'.. so to speak.....

The dang sad part is... it HAPPENS SO DARN FAST...
THE SPREADING OF THE GERM I mean......
I do my best to contain it.. bleach... wash hands.. etc.. but.. you know as well as I do.. in this day and age...
How many times do you think the parents wash their children's hands at home? ... How often do they pick their child up from your care...and make a comment about running by the grocery store... Walmart?... do you think those parents think about all the germs on the grocery carts they plop their children in to..??
I wouldn't classify myself as a GERM PHOB...BUT...I'm DARN SURE more concious of it that most parents.. it's amazing how they are so quick to always blame daycare.. kids in daycare... etc.. when it could just as easily be from what their child touched while at the store..

ok.. sorry..
RANT OVER...LOL

www.tammyschildcare.com

www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com

Tags:illness policy, siblings
Reply Up