Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reference Calling Former Daycare Provider
LeslieG 05:26 AM 11-22-2016
Have any of you called a child's former daycare provider before decided to enroll them in your daycare? I'll be doing this for the first time with a family that I met with recently. The parents seemed great, but the 2 year old boy seemed very hyper and all over the place (I'm not sure if that's how he is or if he was just excited to be in a new place).

What questions would you ask his former daycare provider?

**Also, the parents told me they are looking for a new daycare because his current provider is overwhelmed with the amount of children she is caring for, so has decided to let them go (because they are part-time).
Blackcat31 05:34 AM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
Have any of you called a child's former daycare provider before decided to enroll them in your daycare? I'll be doing this for the first time with a family that I met with recently. The parents seemed great, but the 2 year old boy seemed very hyper and all over the place (I'm not sure if that's how he is or if he was just excited to be in a new place).

**Also, the parents told me they are looking for a new daycare because his current provider is overwhelmed with the amount of children she is caring for, so has decided to let them go (because they are part-time).
I have. But I wouldn't do it again and here is my reasons why....

I have a 2 week trial policy. ANY issues usually appear within the first two weeks. I can "cure" "curb" or "cut" anything I choose to at that point.

I also have policies in place that protect me and my business. Anything a parent did or said etc with a previous provider is not my issue/concern. I set up policies that work for me, protect my business and my income. My policies also outline what things I expect and what parents should expect. That's unique to each relationship....

Which brings me to the last thing... the relationship I have with a family is mine and mine alone. No two people/families have the same relationship and how I manage or don't manage certain behaviors is on me, not based on how the past or previous provider did it, saw it or managed it.

I don't care if they paid on time, scheduled on time or followed the providers rules or not. NOT my concern or my business.

I ONLY care about how they do those thing when enrolled in my program. My policies will show me that within the first two weeks and if not, I have policies that allow me to term immediately so again...nothing to do with the previous provider.

So no, I would not call. Personally, I view it as unprofessional and just not something I think should be common practice for providers. Just MY two cents....
Fiddlesticks 05:44 AM 11-22-2016
I don't. For the reasons Blackcat said, but also because when I was a teacher I did not want to have preconceived notions about a child's behavior. Every year should be a fresh start, I didn't want to be prejudiced about their behavior. It is only natural when you know a child has been a problem in the past to keep a closer watch on little behaviors that you would let slide with another child. Let the boy have a blank slate with you.
midaycare 06:37 AM 11-22-2016
I haven't called and wouldn't. There is just a weird factor to it. Plus everyone has a different style. I've had a few kids who I could tell during interviews wouldn't work out here, but they would do great somewhere else.
laundrymom 07:24 AM 11-22-2016
I don't call. But I do send my teen daughters into cyber world to creep on people sometimes. I don't instachat and they are better recon than a PI. Lol
Gemma 07:39 AM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I set up policies that work for me, protect my business and my income. My policies also outline what things I expect and what parents should expect. That's unique to each relationship....
I would never call because of that^
...besides ...when people part ways there are always 2 sides of the story..I could I be sure who's telling the truth ?
daycarediva 09:28 AM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I don't. For the reasons Blackcat said, but also because when I was a teacher I did not want to have preconceived notions about a child's behavior. Every year should be a fresh start, I didn't want to be prejudiced about their behavior. It is only natural when you know a child has been a problem in the past to keep a closer watch on little behaviors that you would let slide with another child. Let the boy have a blank slate with you.
Yes. I have been known to take the kids who haven't done well/been kicked out of other places. They do well here. Most issues are environment/teacher, imho.
Unregistered 06:22 PM 11-22-2016
I would, because every time I've had a child from another provider it's been a problem. Also, I want to know if they're really leaving or being kicked out. I also do it to give the provider, center or private, a heads up. I'll never forget I had one parent who happy happy joy joy. I was totally blindsided when a center called me for a reference.
Unregistered 06:24 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yes. I have been known to take the kids who haven't done well/been kicked out of other places. They do well here. Most issues are environment/teacher, imho.
I don't really like this as a solution, though. What are they going to do when they get older and realize you can't always pick your boss and/or location?
AmyKidsCo 07:57 PM 11-22-2016
I have a place on my Enrollment Application for previous child care center and contact person's info. I put it there in case I got a weird vibe, and to remind parents that they're applying for an opening - it's not automatic if they decide they want to enroll. But so far I've never called anyone.
Blackcat31 05:41 AM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would, because every time I've had a child from another provider it's been a problem. Also, I want to know if they're really leaving or being kicked out. I also do it to give the provider, center or private, a heads up. I'll never forget I had one parent who happy happy joy joy. I was totally blindsided when a center called me for a reference.
So if you called and found out a child was kicked out of their previous daycare you would not enroll them then?
What is the reason you tell parents?

I am also not understanding how the issues or problems other providers had with a child help or influence your ability to manage a child?

I think that reflects on your ability or inability to manage behavior issues.

As for giving or getting a "head's up" that a family is leaving, don't you have a withdrawal or termination notice policy? If so, that should address that issue without having to discuss anything with a previous provider.
laundrymom 05:47 AM 11-23-2016
I agree w BC.
I am less concerned w a child's behavior (which I can normally modify if needed) than a parents personality. Which is why I send the teens into insta gram and twitt er and FB for recon if I have any red flags.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So if you called and found out a child was kicked out of their previous daycare you would not enroll them then?
What is the reason you tell parents?

I am also not understanding how the issues or problems other providers had with a child help or influence your ability to manage a child?

I think that reflects on your ability or inability to manage behavior issues.

As for giving or getting a "head's up" that a family is leaving, don't you have a withdrawal or termination notice policy? If so, that should address that issue without having to discuss anything with a previous provider.

Cat Herder 05:52 AM 11-23-2016
I don't really like this as a solution, though. What are they going to do when they get older and realize you can't always pick your boss and/or location?
I have never found that to be true in life. Most parents I know made a few sacrifices to find a good educational fit for their kids into young adulthood.

Young people are no longer taught that they are anchored to locations, their futures are not bound to borders. I love that.

I, myself, have changed career paths to meet my familys changing needs. Life is dynamic, I teach the kids that.
Cat Herder 06:17 AM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
Have any of you called a child's former daycare provider before decided to enroll them in your daycare?

Yes I have.

I ask about parents payment and compliance history.

I ask if they would be willing to provide back-up care.

I ask if they would like for me to give out their info to callers when I have no openings.
Ariana 08:00 AM 11-23-2016
I don't because like BlackCat said this is a clean slate for me and any behavioral issues are going to come up in my 6 week trial period anyway. Other providers are just different than I am and I know some of them personally. Some of their issues are not even on my radar as being issues so I don't necessarily trust another providers perspective for my business.

I also feel that when I involve another provider it now becomes their business and if I keep the family it can create animosity with that other provider. I once had a provider warn me about a family because they saw me respond to a FB ad. When they came I felt like my judgment was coloured by their remarks and I also felt like I couldn't take them.
LostMyMarbles 08:41 AM 11-23-2016
Double edged sword. I wished I was warned about a prior family. It would have saved me much stress.

Would it matter. Probably not. We all run differently and what works for one may not work for another. I had a child who didn't bond anyone in my care, not even me. They moved and she is doing great somewhere else.

I agree with the two week trial. Try it before you buy it!
childcaremom 08:51 AM 11-23-2016
I agree with most of the advice.

I've taken on dcks that had behavioural issues at other providers (that dcps told me about). Went over my trial period policy and tried it out. If things hadn't gone well then I would have just termed.

I run a pretty tight ship compared to a lot of local providers so what may be acceptable at one provider may not fly here. Now I would appreciate a heads up if they were being kicked out due to non-payment, not following policies, etc but I can usually pick out those flags before signing. (eg: need care right away! bad mouthing the former provider! etc etc)
284878 10:12 AM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Yes I have.

I ask about parents payment and compliance history.

I ask if they would be willing to provide back-up care.

I ask if they would like for me to give out their info to callers when I have no openings.
Now this is a good way to meet other providers.

I have never called another provider for a reference, there are families in my past that I wish I had. I have one family say things to me after we signed about the previous provider. She made no comment beforehand but then I started questioning her reason for needing new day care. No troubles with the kid during the trial and they paid on time but when she decided it was time to move on, I found that she did a similar thing with a new provider and said some things that were untrue about me.
daycarediva 10:41 AM 11-23-2016
What solution? Not calling?

If a provider called me for a reference, I would state that family had given notice and their last day would be X. If they asked any other questions, I would say it was between me & parent(s). I'm not going to badmouth someone (even if they were a horrible client for ME). They might be great clients for someone else.

Families CAN chose their child care for their child, so if they don't like something, they have the ability to find different care.

The nap time screamer I termed a year ago is doing great in a friends childcare. She takes infants/toddlers and treats her (now 3) just like a baby (same as Mom) so this dcg is rocked to sleep, given a paci, allowed to sleep on the couch with the tv on, etc. I should endure hours of screaming a day? Parents shouldn't be able to change providers? The new provider should have been told how awful the child was for me at rest time, (she may not have taken her).
Reply Up