Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"You Do This All By Yourself"
countrymom 02:55 PM 08-26-2011
why is it that when people call they are shocked to learn I do this business all by myself and I don't have a helper (I have 4 kids of my own-oops 5 if you include dh) it drives me crazy!! Today I think the lady felt stupid when I told her that I had 5 school agers (2 went home at lunch because dcb threw up) and my 4 kids and my day runs just fine. Serious, what do people do when they have one kid.
Zoe 03:00 PM 08-26-2011
They take them to a childcare provider as wonderful as yourself! Well, some do at least.

Every time I tell people how many kids I can have in my daycare, they either gasp, tell me I'm crazy, or if I'm lucky....they say "well that's wonderful that you have that kind of patience and love for children. I could never do what you do." I got that one yesterday.
sharlan 03:57 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
They take them to a childcare provider as wonderful as yourself! Well, some do at least.

Every time I tell people how many kids I can have in my daycare, they either gasp, tell me I'm crazy, or if I'm lucky....they say "well that's wonderful that you have that kind of patience and love for children. I could never do what you do." I got that one yesterday.
I would say, that's why I do what I do and that's why you do what you do.
GretasLittleFriends 05:02 PM 08-26-2011
I always say I'd rather deal with a handful of children, rather than a handful of catty adults.
e.j. 05:08 PM 08-26-2011
I take it as a compliment.
familyschoolcare 05:25 PM 08-26-2011
I had a parent say something to that effect the other day during an interview. I Just responded with I am licensed for 6, I used to teach once I had a classroom of 15 kindergartners, 6 plus my 4 is nothing. Mom laughed.
Oneluckymom 05:30 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I take it as a compliment.
Same Here....its a compliment!!
PitterPatter 05:32 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
why is it that when people call they are shocked to learn I do this business all by myself and I don't have a helper (I have 4 kids of my own-oops 5 if you include dh) it drives me crazy!! Today I think the lady felt stupid when I told her that I had 5 school agers (2 went home at lunch because dcb threw up) and my 4 kids and my day runs just fine. Serious, what do people do when they have one kid.
I get that as well. I just tell them it takes patience and persistance as well as a little daily routine. Most parents I notice don't have a routine they just let the kids grow up and do what they want when they want so of course it can be hectic.

I always take it as a compliment. Especially when a DCM says she can't handle her own single child let alone a group.
countrymom 05:53 PM 08-26-2011
but the lady that called was a gma who was home and wanted to send her 2 yr old gson here so she can get things done. Sometime I feel thou that they don't think i can do it, its the tone of voice they use, like "are you sure you can handle it"
cheerfuldom 07:08 PM 08-26-2011
I know I can't stand when parents of one child complain about how long their day was, how much trouble the kid was over the weekend, how exhausted they are. I just nod and sympathize and then get back to my 4 daycare kids plus my 3 children (including a newborn), my full time college course load and my household to run. A lot of parents doubt that I can do this just because they cannot handle their one child and cannot believe that anyone else could do more than one or two without the whole house falling apart.
countrymom 05:23 AM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I know I can't stand when parents of one child complain about how long their day was, how much trouble the kid was over the weekend, how exhausted they are. I just nod and sympathize and then get back to my 4 daycare kids plus my 3 children (including a newborn), my full time college course load and my household to run. A lot of parents doubt that I can do this just because they cannot handle their one child and cannot believe that anyone else could do more than one or two without the whole house falling apart.
yes your right, I think people don't realize that you can do a million things and still not fall apart, but yet these same people have time to go shopping, go to the bar, go get a manicure.
laundrymom 11:40 AM 08-27-2011
I just tell them I have superpowers. And smile.
GretasLittleFriends 03:58 PM 08-28-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
What a great response!! I love it. Do you mind if I use it?
NiNi.R. 04:27 AM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I love it!
Tags:parents - don't appreciate
Reply Up