Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
youretooloud 02:11 PM 12-12-2011
Daycare Mom is in college. She has finals this week. Wed is the kid's last day...

Of all days to get sick, daycare toddler is sick today. I'm dealing with it here, because I'm fairly sure it's a bad ear infection, and Mom will be here soon.

But, she's being so incredibly impossible to me and everybody.

She's bitten me, and two kids, she's pulling hair, and she's just generally unpleasant. I just assumed she was going through a rough week until she started pulling on her ear and crying. Now I feel bad for her...

But, she FREAKING BIT THE SNOT OUT OF ME AGAIN!!!! I'm so livid. She bit me on the neck too, and it's going to leave a mark, and it's going to look like I'm 17 and have a hickey.

I know she's miserable, and she's never done this before...but, I wanted to toss her back in her bed from ten feet away.

OK... My vent is over. Ugh.
stargazer 02:26 PM 12-12-2011
I feel for you but hear the concern in your post, sounds like this child is in a lot of pain if this is uncharacteristic for her. Hang in there, this day will end soon. We can start over tommorow.
grandmom 02:37 PM 12-12-2011
Sorry this is happening. Tomorrow is a new day.
Hunni Bee 04:36 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Daycare Mom is in college. She has finals this week. Wed is the kid's last day...

Of all days to get sick, daycare toddler is sick today. I'm dealing with it here, because I'm fairly sure it's a bad ear infection, and Mom will be here soon.

She's bitten me, and two kids, she's pulling hair, and she's just generally unpleasant. I just assumed she was going through a rough week until she started pulling on her ear and crying. Now I feel bad for her...

But, she FREAKING BIT THE SNOT OUT OF ME AGAIN!!!! I'm so livid. She bit me on the neck too, and it's going to leave a mark, and it's going to look like I'm 17 and have a hickey.

I know she's miserable, and she's never done this before...but, I wanted to toss her back in her bed from ten feet away.

I feel you...

...we had a one year old today who ran a fever around 11 am. We were unable to contact anyone the whole day....Mom finally calls back at 2 pm asking us what kind of fever does he have...can we take his temp in his mouth instead of under his arm..blah blah.

Still doesn't show up til her regular pick-up time. Complains the entire time, once she finds out that he must be fever-free for 24 hours before he can return..."how did he catch a fever??" "why is he out of diapers??" "why didn't you take his temp under his tongue like I said??"

She threatened one of our staff with bodily harm for accidentally breaking his coat zipper last week.

I know you guys are counting on your fingers how many reasons she would be banished from your home forever lol...unfortunately I don't have that kind of power.

Really hoping she pulls him...
Michael 05:56 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by stargazer:
I feel for you but hear the concern in your post, sounds like this child is in a lot of pain if this is uncharacteristic for her. Hang in there, this day will end soon. We can start over tommorow.
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
Zoe 07:51 AM 12-13-2011

I have a dcm in college too. But in my case, I'm the one who's sick, and I don't want to close because she obviously can't miss class. It's tough, I feel for ya! I hope the little one takes a nap. Try elevating her when she lays down, it will take the pressure off of the head.
youretooloud 11:09 AM 12-13-2011
She's better today. We are pre-emptively medicating her so she won't get so upset. Mom said she didn't sleep last night at all, so hopefully today, between the exhaustion and the medicine she'll sleep better.
Crystal 12:22 PM 12-13-2011

Wow. shaking head, walking away........
Meeko 12:31 PM 12-13-2011
Ear infections HURT. I've had some myself as an adult and they made me hard to live with.

They can also make the jaw ache and I'm going to assume that's why she bites too. It relieves pressure.

Try giving her something to bite on, just like a teething baby. But make it warm instead of cold. My daughter used to get ear infections ALL the time and the doc told that warm (not hot) compresses held to the ear is very soothing. My daughter liked and I did it too.

Try and be patient. She is very frustrated and in pain and no way to express that except through biting. If she senses you are angry, that will make her more upset.
Country Kids 12:34 PM 12-13-2011
We always laid our on heating pads. They would lay like that for hours because it felt so good.
Meyou 12:54 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
We always laid our on heating pads. They would lay like that for hours because it felt so good.
I remember doing that as a kid. I used to get really bad ones.
Meeko 01:01 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I remember doing that as a kid. I used to get really bad ones.
Doc told me the warmth "melts" built up fluid and it moves better and the pressure is relieved.
Christian Mother 01:08 PM 12-13-2011
Poor dear...and you of course. I hope today has gotten better for you. I'm having a off day...I didn't get enough sleep and it's a rainy day..love these days but I can't seem to get into the day. Sooo tired...need more coffee!!
youretooloud 02:15 PM 12-13-2011
She actually got a lot worse just before nap time. Mom took her to the urgent care. (doctor in a box at walgreens) and she said there's no infection and she can't see any reason for why she feels so crummy.

Idunno... nobody has been sick, but she's definitely not a happy kid right now. She's naughty, but not downright vicious.

She bit her brother and me, and tried to bite a friend all within 30 minutes. She tried to scratch the infant, then lay down and cried when she couldn't reach him.
Crystal 02:18 PM 12-13-2011
How old is she? She might be getting her "two year" molars.....back teeth HURT when they are coming in.
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
How old is she? She might be getting her "two year" molars.....back teeth HURT when they are coming in.
Oh my yes this!!! I have a toddler here who I will bet you a million dollars is the easiest, sweetest, most well behaved child I have ever ever had in care...when she was getting her 2 yr molars she turned into some demon child I had never seen before!!

Mom took her to Dr. several times hoping at this point for some thing to be wrong just to explain the behavior....turns out it was her two year molars.

They are in now and she has returned to her heavenly sweetness.
SilverSabre25 02:22 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
That's a good idea. You could ask for permission to try Motrin/Ibuprofen for her. I prefer ibuprofen over acetaminophen because it's anti-inflammatory as well as pain relief. Seems to help teething pain better IME.
youretooloud 02:27 PM 12-13-2011
We've given her motrin.

I told the mom to have the doctor look in her mouth as well as her ears, and I didn't ask if the doctor actually DID that.... Mom just said she didn't find anything wrong with her.

So, that was a wasted trip. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up at their ped's office this week.
Crystal 02:30 PM 12-13-2011
Do you have any hylands teething tablets? Might help?
Tags:bad - kid, bad behavior - extreme, biting, sickness
Reply Up