Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Fee?
finsup 02:59 PM 07-11-2015
So I have had a lot of families contact me for care beginning in the fall. I'm all for that as I have an opening the first week of September. However, I have never really run into this before and I'm not holding spots for free. What's a fair rate to hold the spot for though? At most the rest of July and all of August but could be just August etc. Most are asking about full time and that is typically 150/week. I know I can't charge that much for the next month and a half, but want to make sure its high enough to be worth it. Also, do you apply it to first/last week of care?
childcaremom 03:47 PM 07-11-2015
What I have done in the past is charge 2 weeks daycare fees. This secured the spot and goes towards their first two weeks'.

Now I would like to change as I've been holding spots for free, basically.

Not sure what I will do so following for ideas, too
Blackcat31 05:46 PM 07-11-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
So I have had a lot of families contact me for care beginning in the fall. I'm all for that as I have an opening the first week of September. However, I have never really run into this before and I'm not holding spots for free. What's a fair rate to hold the spot for though? At most the rest of July and all of August but could be just August etc. Most are asking about full time and that is typically 150/week. I know I can't charge that much for the next month and a half, but want to make sure its high enough to be worth it. Also, do you apply it to first/last week of care?
If the space is open and available for use, I charge regular full price rates for it whether its used or not. (current clients pay whether they use space or not too)

If the space is not available but will be at a later date I charge a two week holding fee that is non refundable and require all paperwork be signed and turned in before it is officially theirs.

The money for holding fee is for holding the space it does NOT get applied to the first two weeks of care.
tnordlund 08:06 PM 07-11-2015
I am new to home daycare in my home but my mother in law has had a home daycare for 30 years and I have been her assistant for three years.
What we both do is upon enrollment we require one weeks worth of fees to secure their spot. For instance one week at my daycare is $200/week so they would give a deposit of $200 (unrefundable) and this will be applied to their last week of care with a two week notice of termination. Good luck!

AmyKidsCo 01:26 PM 07-13-2015
I'm interviewing a mom who wants to start care in September. My opening is available beginning next Monday.

I've decided to tell her that if she wants the space she can pay full tuition to hold it until September and I'll consider the opening filled.

Otherwise I'll continue to interview families and if someone else wants the space before September the first mom will have the chance to pay full tuition to hold it, beginning on the date the second family would start.

If she doesn't want to pay to hold the spot I'll enroll the second family.
Thriftylady 03:35 PM 07-13-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm interviewing a mom who wants to start care in September. My opening is available beginning next Monday.

I've decided to tell her that if she wants the space she can pay full tuition to hold it until September and I'll consider the opening filled.

Otherwise I'll continue to interview families and if someone else wants the space before September the first mom will have the chance to pay full tuition to hold it, beginning on the date the second family would start.

If she doesn't want to pay to hold the spot I'll enroll the second family.
I would do this also.
AmyKidsCo 08:20 PM 07-13-2015
The interview went well and the parents said they thought the holding fee thing was fair. Now to see if anyone else calls...
Tags:holding fee
Reply Up