Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DIY Activity Table
Abigail 11:06 PM 07-03-2011
Over the years I've seen a few activity tables people built themselves. Do you think using an old wooden coffee table or end table would be the perfect height and size to cut out a hole just large enough for a litter box? I think litter box instead of plastic container because if you think about all the plastic containers available they're either too small or too deep whereas a litter box seems to be a perfect size. Even the small size classic rectangular little box would be large enough to hold scraps of paper and other items. It could be a craft table to hold activities/crayons/etc, a sensory table, and a water/sand table. I'm just wondering what your opinions of this would be for using a litter box?

Has anyone ever thought about purchasing those infant feeding table replacement seats and a short laminate counter top piece and cutting spaces just large enough for the seats and mounting it against the wall? This whole project would be under $100 since the replacement seats run about $60 for a set of two and the laminate and mounting hardware for a four foot long piece is about $30. Right now I have a space saving highchair, but thinking long term this might be a wonderful unique thing to build as well. Any thoughts?
PitterPatter 06:07 AM 07-04-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Over the years I've seen a few activity tables people built themselves. Do you think using an old wooden coffee table or end table would be the perfect height and size to cut out a hole just large enough for a litter box? I think litter box instead of plastic container because if you think about all the plastic containers available they're either too small or too deep whereas a litter box seems to be a perfect size. Even the small size classic rectangular little box would be large enough to hold scraps of paper and other items. It could be a craft table to hold activities/crayons/etc, a sensory table, and a water/sand table. I'm just wondering what your opinions of this would be for using a litter box?

Has anyone ever thought about purchasing those infant feeding table replacement seats and a short laminate counter top piece and cutting spaces just large enough for the seats and mounting it against the wall? This whole project would be under $100 since the replacement seats run about $60 for a set of two and the laminate and mounting hardware for a four foot long piece is about $30. Right now I have a space saving highchair, but thinking long term this might be a wonderful unique thing to build as well. Any thoughts?
I love the ideas! Especially the table idea. I'm thinking we could cut the center as u said and when it was time to eat use the same table but maybe have a cover for the box inside or a cover for the whole table even like a nother table top if one has the space. I'll have to think about these a while as I just woke up and am trying to 'wake up' thanks for sharing your idea.
anabel 06:40 AM 07-04-2011
I reused a faded plastic kids table in this way. I (dh) cut a hole in the centre and dropped in a square washing up bowl. It's lasted me for years now. It's great for accessible sand, whilst making it inaccessible to crawling babies, great for scissors and cutting resources, water play, messy play...anything. Best of all cos it's a washing up bowl it's a good size for cleaning off in the kitchen sink.

I do like the idea of doing it with a more shallow tray to for the activities you mentioned....I may look into that.
Abigail 10:15 AM 07-04-2011
Originally Posted by anabel:
I reused a faded plastic kids table in this way. I (dh) cut a hole in the centre and dropped in a square washing up bowl. It's lasted me for years now. It's great for accessible sand, whilst making it inaccessible to crawling babies, great for scissors and cutting resources, water play, messy play...anything. Best of all cos it's a washing up bowl it's a good size for cleaning off in the kitchen sink.

I do like the idea of doing it with a more shallow tray to for the activities you mentioned....I may look into that.
Do you have some pictures of this to share? I like the idea of making things myself and my dad is a good handyman so once my ideas and really well planned he'll to the cutting/sanding/whatever it needs to look really really nice! If we can be successful at using a litterbox insert (New ofcourse!) then I'll want to tackle the more expensive child seating option.
WImom 09:25 PM 07-04-2011
I have an end table that we made into a lego table. DH cut a whole in for a bucket and then next to it we screwed down a green lego base.
Tags:activity table, build, built, creative, diy, infant table, sand table, sensory table, toddler table, water table
Reply Up