Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Change In Behavior From 3 Year Old
mountainside13 09:49 AM 03-05-2014
I have a 3.5 year old daycare boy that has been a little angel until a few weeks ago! He started acting out just at pick up, it started out just small things but has gotten a lot worse. Yesterday at pick up he hit one of his friends and mom said be nice or ms. X will put you in time out. um, ok I guess I have to be the bad guy. I put him in timeout.

Last Monday he started being mean to his friends, then blaming it on someone else. Most of the time I witness what happened. Today during lunch he ran up and pushed the very small 4 year old dcg off of her chair.

I have talked to mom about the behavior but it hasn't helped as you might be able to tell from above. Most of the excuses I get, oh he must just be tired, he gets grumpy when he has growing pains, cutting a molar changes his mood and the list goes on. Mom said nothing has changed at home. We have had a change here but not big enough to bring on this type of behavior.
daycarediva 09:54 AM 03-05-2014
Be firm and consistent with your expectations.

Based on the pick ups, I would do bye bye outside.

If it doesn't improve, put him on probation.

Have him get picked up if he is being aggressive.

Make it affect MOM and then she MIGHT help curb his behavior.
cheerfuldom 01:29 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Be firm and consistent with your expectations.

Based on the pick ups, I would do bye bye outside.

If it doesn't improve, put him on probation.

Have him get picked up if he is being aggressive.

Make it affect MOM and then she MIGHT help curb his behavior.
I agree. you did what you could to try and get mom involved. At this point, put the problem back on her. I would not tolerate aggressive behavior at all but after separating/explaing/etc. there is only so much you can do with a child. I am betting something is going on at home. Sure kids test things out and that sort of thing but just flipping a switch and becoming crazy usually means a big change at home.

Usually the ones I have that act like this are transitioning in some major way, moving, started a new preschool, that sort of thing.

and by the way, can I just say how annoying it is that teething is the convenient excuse for everything?!?! ugh. Sure its painful at times and arguably has some other symptoms but it does not even make sense that a child is hurting other kids cause their tooth hurts. its just laughable. anyway, it doesnt matter the reason why, the behavior has to change.
mountainside13 07:05 AM 03-06-2014
Thank you ladies, I will try to talk to mom again tonight. I'm not sure what's going on at home that I don't know about but there is something. He was dropped off this morning and within a few minutes he had a poop accident. He has been potty trained for 7 months with no accidents.

It's always teething!
FCCarmyprovider 04:45 AM 03-11-2014
Not to freak you out, but I had the same situation. It ended up being physical abuse from the parent and she is now under investigation. Document everything!
mountainside13 09:57 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by FCCarmyprovider:
Not to freak you out, but I had the same situation. It ended up being physical abuse from the parent and she is now under investigation. Document everything!
I documented everything and have signatures from the parents! That is so sad that your daycare child went through that! a Hopefully the investigation goes well and the child is removed!

I don't believe he is being abused but I will keep an eye open for that! Thank you !
Tags:age appropriate - physical activity, changing of the guard, discipline - consistency, discipline plan, infectious teething, parents - are clueless
Reply Up