Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pic of New Baby Sleeping
lovemykidstoo 09:50 AM 08-01-2018
So I have a dcb that is going to preschool in September full time. I'm getting his baby brother who is 3 months old. Someone I know that also knows this family obviously is watching the baby until I have room for him. She works at the school so is going back to work in the fall. I just saw this picture that she posted on FB that shows him and another child she's watching sleeping. I am dieing right now. First of all he is not strapped in (baby on right) and I doubt the other baby is too, secondly, that is NOT safe sleep. I pray that he is not hurt doing this and then there is the thing of I hope she's not getting him used to that because he can't do that here. thoughts on what I should say if anything?
Attached: baby.jpg (82.3 KB) 
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 08-01-2018
Ridiculous.

I just can't.
amberrose3dg 10:06 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So I have a dcb that is going to preschool in September full time. I'm getting his baby brother who is 3 months old. Someone I know that also knows this family obviously is watching the baby until I have room for him. She works at the school so is going back to work in the fall. I just saw this picture that she posted on FB that shows him and another child she's watching sleeping. I am dieing right now. First of all he is not strapped in (baby on right) and I doubt the other baby is too, secondly, that is NOT safe sleep. I pray that he is not hurt doing this and then there is the thing of I hope she's not getting him used to that because he can't do that here. thoughts on what I should say if anything?
I would. That baby WILL not sleep in a crib or pack n play flat on his back if he gets used to sleeping upright like that. You will deal with a mess getting him straightened out.
I can't even. Is this a daycare?
daycarediva 10:18 AM 08-01-2018
Is she licensed? I would report it.

If not, I would be speaking to the parent immediately about 'daycare expectations' regarding safe sleep (maybe even toss in drinking bottles, too)
lovemykidstoo 10:35 AM 08-01-2018
She is not licensed, but a previous neighbor of the daycare family. I am absolutely going to talk to mom about this the next day she comes. totally not acceptable and is grating on me seeing it and I want badly to say something to her, but I'll wait and talk to mom about it. I mean good lord at the very least strap him in. Of course that's just 1 thing that's wrong, there are so many.
Ariana 10:48 AM 08-01-2018
Oh my!! Not good at all!
amberrose3dg 10:50 AM 08-01-2018
She is not licensed, but a previous neighbor of the daycare family. I am absolutely going to talk to mom about this the next day she comes. totally not acceptable and is grating on me seeing it and I want badly to say something to her, but I'll wait and talk to mom about it. I mean good lord at the very least strap him in. Of course that's just 1 thing that's wrong, there are so many.
Some people are seriously ignorant when it comes to safe sleep and have no clue. I would educate them and also let them know he won't be happy with you if he gets used to not sleeping in a crib.
lovemykidstoo 10:54 AM 08-01-2018
ugh I couldn't help myself. I had to private message the lady on facebook about it. She is a friend, or I guess an aquaintance of mine, so I asked her about it and then "educated" her on it. Could not help myself. It's bad on so many levels. She said, she does not wake up a baby to move them. I told her about a baby that fell asleep in a carseat at a licensed daycare here about 3 years ago that died from positional asphixia and that I would get written up if not closed for something like letting them sleep like that even though I hate to move a sleeping baby too, it's better than death. grrrr
Annalee 10:57 AM 08-01-2018
ugh I couldn't help myself. I had to private message the lady on facebook about it. She is a friend, or I guess an aquaintance of mine, so I asked her about it and then "educated" her on it. Could not help myself. It's bad on so many levels. She said, she does not wake up a baby to move them. I told her about a baby that fell asleep in a carseat at a licensed daycare here about 3 years ago that died from positional asphixia and that I would get written up if not closed for something like letting them sleep like that even though I hate to move a sleeping baby too, it's better than death. grrrr
I would have a meeting with the parents expressing your policies regarding this, too. These babies need to be sleep-trained before they get to you or it will be difficult days ahead
lovemykidstoo 10:59 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I would have a meeting with the parents expressing your policies regarding this, too. These babies need to be sleep-trained before they get to you or it will be difficult days ahead
I for sure will. They'll be back on Monday. I have the next 2 days off. I"m going to tell her that I talked to the woman watching him now too.
Gemma 10:19 AM 08-02-2018
I hope you can put some sense into these people, a lot of parents don't think anything bad can ever happen to them.

Speaking of safe sleep: what do you do when a newborn falls asleep in the stroller during outdoor time?
I just started a newborn after 4 yrs of refusing to enroll infants (freaked out over the too many deaths) I'm aware of and follow the safe sleep indoor, but I'm unclear on regulations when it comes to "outdoor". I can't take a packNplay to the playground, and I sure don't want to alarm my "new" licensing consultant with a question like this, so I thought I'd ask here, hope you don't mind
Cat Herder 12:06 PM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I hope you can put some sense into these people, a lot of parents don't think anything bad can ever happen to them.

Speaking of safe sleep: what do you do when a newborn falls asleep in the stroller during outdoor time?
I just started a newborn after 4 yrs of refusing to enroll infants (freaked out over the too many deaths) I'm aware of and follow the safe sleep indoor, but I'm unclear on regulations when it comes to "outdoor". I can't take a packNplay to the playground, and I sure don't want to alarm my "new" licensing consultant with a question like this, so I thought I'd ask here, hope you don't mind
Here it would not be allowed.

As soon as infants show signs of being sleepy they must be moved to a crib and placed, awake, on their backs. Field trips for young infants are discouraged.

It does not benefit them for more than 20 minutes at a time. They are only allowed to be in confinement equipment (stroller, high chair, swing, etc.) 20 minutes.

It can't hurt to ask your licensor.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

As soon as infants show signs of being sleepy they must be moved to a crib and placed, awake, on their backs. Field trips for young infants are discouraged.

It does not benefit them for more than 20 minutes at a time. They are only allowed to be in confinement equipment (stroller, high chair, swing, etc.) 20 minutes.

Pretty much the same thing I've been told as well.

Thankfully, I do not have anyone under 12 months in care right now but yes, that is the same advice I've seen licensors in my area give.
Gemma 01:42 PM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

It's not allowed here either to have babies sleeping anywhere other than a crib or packnplay, so I'm going to do what you do, cut down on outdoor time to make sure the baby is always awake
Thanks!
Cat Herder 02:01 PM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
It's not allowed here either to have babies sleeping anywhere other than a crib or packnplay, so I'm going to do what you do, cut down on outdoor time to make sure the baby is always awake
Thanks!
I actually roll my evacuation cribs out onto my gated back deck, in the shade, while we are out on the playgrounds. I have a smaller fenced playground inside the larger fenced playground to separate out toddlers and preschoolers. By moving to the deck as a group, then moving the older kids to their playgrounds, it eliminates the need for a stroller at all. I also use infant pop-up tents will playground balls.
Country Kids 03:27 PM 08-02-2018
Our state just tried to pass a rule on babies no longer than 20 min in a stroller, high chair, walker, swing, etc.

It didn't pass-a lot of examples given from providers of why it wasn't realistic.

I don't take infants but with rules like this I can see more and more providers going away from infant care.
Tags:child death, confinement equipment, illegal, irresponsible, liability, positional asphyxia, positional asphyxiation, suids
Reply Up