Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

View Poll Results: Do you give rates over phone/email, etc. OR only in interview
Yes, I give rates over the phone, via email or they are on my website 78 89.66%
No, I only give rates during interviews 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Give Rates Out Or Not?

would love to do this in poll format (does a moderator have to do that)??? Wondering how many will give rates over the phone, on their website, email, etc. and how many will only give in interview.

ETA: I think I was able to make it a poll, yay!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 AM

I will give rates to anyone who asks (in person, on the phone, via e-mail etc) but I don't have a flat rate per hour/day/week.

Each family has a rate that depicts their needed times. For example a full time family who attends 7-5 will have a higher rate that a full time family that attends 8-3.

I try to let families know a rough estimate but explain that the rates vary based upon their individual needs.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't give rates over the phone...I wait until the 1st interview. I want families to meet me and hear about my program before deciding if the price is right.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM

I do, but I prefer it be at the end of the conversation. When someone calls me, and their first question is rates, I usually think it'll probably not be a "good fit".
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 AM

give out! no point wasting time on even a conversation if the rates arent something they can afford
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 AM

when I first registered 11 years ago they told me not to give them out over the phone, I didn't for a while then I started to in order to "weed out" the ones who would waste my time with an interview but lately it seems all I'm getting is calls "fishing" for rates and I don't think they are people looking for child care at all so thinking of going back to interview only.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 AM

I have went both ways, and still wonder about both of them. If you don't give rates over the phone, then you could waste for time, cleaning, looking nice, and your time to do the interview. If you do, they could say, ok, thanks, and not schedule an interview with you. Then maybe if you are lucky though, you could defiantely weed out the ones, that cannot afford you right away.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM

In today's economy, most folks have a strict budget. They know what they can afford.

Only a few parents can take the approach of "Price doesn't matter...I just want good care" even if that is what they would LIKE to do.

I have never had to shop for day care for my own kids. But I would hate to have to go to 5 different providers..giving up hours of my time.....only to find I couldn't afford any of them and could have found that out in a few minutes of phone calls.

I would never buy any item or any service without knowing up front what I was getting into. My time is precious to me and going from interview to interview that may not be for me would be irritating.

Can you imagine going to buy a new car, but the salesman refuses to tell you the price on the car until he's sat you down for an hour and told you all about it's gas mileage, plush seats, navigation system etc. While those things are great to know....it's a useless waste of your time if you can't afford the car.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
In today's economy, most folks have a strict budget. They know what they can afford.

Only a few parents can take the approach of "Price doesn't matter...I just want good care" even if that is what they would LIKE to do.

I have never had to shop for day care for my own kids. But I would hate to have to go to 5 different providers..giving up hours of my time.....only to find I couldn't afford any of them and could have found that out in a few minutes of phone calls.

I would never buy any item or any service without knowing up front what I was getting into. My time is precious to me and going from interview to interview that may not be for me would be irritating.

Can you imagine going to buy a new car, but the salesman refuses to tell you the price on the car until he's sat you down for an hour and told you all about it's gas mileage, plush seats, navigation system etc. While those things are great to know....it's a useless waste of your time if you can't afford the car.
Ditto for me! Very well said.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

Its really a mixed bag. I hate giving rates over the phone b/c it sounds like a lot of money until they see what that goes towards. Usually if there first question is rates we never make it to the home interview stage.
Debbie
Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM

I give rates after find out some information. Gendar, age/grade, what school they attend "normal drop off and normal pick up.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM

I give out rates when asked. Whether that's over the phone, email or at the interview. I don't post it in my ads though.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

needs to be a sometimes button here.

I want to say that I don't give them out on the phone but sometimes I get caught up in giving them out. Then I am like why did I do that.

I want them to see my space/place/me etc.. then decide.

So I put no but I would have to say that sometimes I do- it just depends on how the converstation ends up going.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Where Children Grow

I give it out as well. I feel that if I'm priced too high for them, then it's best to get that out of the way before wasting my time on an interview. Most families know what they are willing to pay before speaking to me.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

i said yes....don't want to waste anyone's time...if its the first questions that is asked when I answer I always say $800.00 a week. Then wait for the silence, then I laugh and will ask another question. That is if I am not hung up on....
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM

bumping this back up as just yesterday was thinking about how I should just put the rates on my website to avoid all the fishing calls and then this morning got another call for rates for someone who "is hoping to get pregnant soon and wants to know how much I charge".
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

i post and give them out because of all the reasons already mentioned. i really dont mind "fishers" of rates.. maybe other providers in the area, maybe ppl hunting for the cheapest, either way my rates are my rates..
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM
mommyof5-and going crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I will give rates to anyone who asks (in person, on the phone, via e-mail etc) but I don't have a flat rate per hour/day/week.

Each family has a rate that depicts their needed times. For example a full time family who attends 7-5 will have a higher rate that a full time family that attends 8-3.

I try to let families know a rough estimate but explain that the rates vary based upon their individual needs.
How do you come up with the differences?? As in, how much more do you charge for more time??
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa1923 View Post
How do you come up with the differences?? As in, how much more do you charge for more time??
I am seriously considering this in the future. The reason is, I have a dcm that gets out of work at 1:00 and doesn't pick up until well after 4:30. Sure woudl be nice to have the little guy leave earlier in the day, but I also don't want to short change myself. It's hard because I am licensed for 6, so each spot is needed for full payment. I am open from 7:30 - 5:30 and I charge $35 a day. How would you suggest doing that then LaLa?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa1923 View Post
I set ONE base rate I needed to make and subtracted/added from there based on pick up times and the number of days per week a child attended. Here is my rate sheet so you can see what I mean. It is easier to see than for me to explain....LOL!

Last edited by Blackcat31; 10-12-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Family Childcare Home

I will also give out rates over the phone but I need to know how many days a week and the hours that they will need in order to give out accurate rates.

Someone looking at my rate section of my website can see them and figure them out for themselved because I have a flat rate for 4-5 days a week (FT) and PT rates are based on how many days and the child's pick up time (similar to Nan's fee schedule).

You can see my rate schedule here to get an idea.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

I give rates up front because I don't want to waste my time with anyone who isn't willing to pay what I'm worth. IMO it's the same as checking out ages and schedules to see how well a family will fit into the openings I have.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I will also give out rates over the phone but I need to know how many days a week and the hours that they will need in order to give out accurate rates.

Someone looking at my rate section of my website can see them and figure them out for themselved because I have a flat rate for 4-5 days a week (FT) and PT rates are based on how many days and the child's pick up time (similar to Nan's fee schedule).

You can see my rate schedule here to get an idea.
I LOVVVVVEEEEEEE your website....can you tell me how you got that calendar on there like that. I have been trying to find one to post on my site and have yet to find one that works..

LOVE it!!! thanks so much Dcare
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Daycare.com member

I will give my rates out to anyone who inquires (phone, email, Facebook), my rates are at the high end for home daycares in this area, so I would much rather not meet with a family whose isn't able to/willing to pay my rates.

To me, rates and hours are the most basic level of compatibility for parents. (As a DC provider, I see many other more basic ways you need to be compatible), but those are the sort of initial questions that parents see as imperative. So I make sure to mention/ask about those during initial conversations, so that I don't waste time with a family who has needs I can't meet.

I don't post my rates anywhere, because currently I have families who started with me a while ago who are paying different rates than others - so I just prefer to not post them.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't post my price when advertising on facebook or craigslist, but I do tell my price on phone calls responding to the advertisements. I figure that if they are not going to be able to afford it or are not willing to pay it, there is no sense in me wasting my time with an interview.

Tags
poll, rates, rates over the phone