Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Providers in Southern California
Brittany 09:12 AM 11-12-2015
I have searched endellessly online and I can't find what the "average" rate for in home childcare is. I find many threads but all are at least 5-7 years old I quoted average because I am sure it's a huge range. I was thinking of charging $275 a week for full time care. Do you think that's an appropriate rate? Should I charge more or less? Can anyone give me a range of what you charge or where you think I should fall?
Reply
Blackcat31 09:24 AM 11-12-2015
http://www.kidsdata.org/topic/564/ch...84,985,222,223

http://www.willowtreechildcare.com/rates.html

http://www.crs.ymca.org/child-care/c...hild-care.html

The above links all list fairly current rates for California child care.
Not sure about area but that's all I was able to locate via a quick search.
Reply
Brittany 09:36 AM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.kidsdata.org/topic/564/ch...84,985,222,223

http://www.willowtreechildcare.com/rates.html

http://www.crs.ymca.org/child-care/c...hild-care.html

The above links all list fairly current rates for California child care.
Not sure about area but that's all I was able to locate via a quick search.
Thank you. The middle one is helpful since it's the closest to me about 45min. The ymca is San Diego county, I am in Orange County and the top one is 2012. It's so hard to determine.
Reply
NillaWafers 09:53 AM 11-12-2015
I called around and found out other HDC rates around me. My rates are really low and need to be changed now that I'm almost a year into being licensed.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 09:53 AM 11-12-2015
It's hard to give "average" rates because you're going to get an average based on what everyone in CA is charging. Rates vary so much even within different parts of cities that giving you an estimate might be too much or too little depending on which city you live in and also where in the city you live in. Your experience, services you offer and family child care saturation also affect the rates.

For example I live in Ventura CA and the average rate here is $175/week for full time care (50 hours per week). I live in East side of town but in the hills it's "ritzier" and providers charge $200/week. The west side of town is lower income and they're lucky to get $125/week. In Oxnard (a larger city than mine) people charge about the same as we do here when they should be able to get more but they're over-saturated with family child care providers so they're competing by offering lower prices. 45 minutes away from me is Santa Barbara and the standard of living there is super high because they're all mostly high paid professional families. Child care providers there charge $250-$300 or more per week.

What city do you live in?

I recommend calling your local resource and referral agency and ask for average rates in your city. If you have a local child care association I'd call them as well and ask if they can help you with their information.
Reply
Controlled Chaos 11:59 AM 11-12-2015
I would base rates on the average rate the type of clientele you are trying to attract pays. I am well above the average home daycare rate in my area. But I charge around what educated, Montessori, organic eating, happy hippys are paying at the closest Montessori centers. When I advertise I focus on that group - using words like "best of both worlds", "warmth and community of a home daycare with the added educational benefits you love in play based/outdoor loving/Montessori centers" etc. So base your rates on similar programs and not so much on the rates on your street...if that makes sense. Or maybe others will say that's a bad idea...but it worked for me

Have you tried calling or emailing other providers in the area? When I did that I got answers about 50% of the time.
Reply
Michael 12:22 PM 11-12-2015
More California Rates threads: http://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.ph...s+-+california
Reply
Brittany 02:46 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

What city do you live in?

I recommend calling your local resource and referral agency and ask for average rates in your city. If you have a local child care association I'd call them as well and ask if they can help you with their information.
Thanks, I am in Huntington Beach, which is a higher end area when compared to Long Beach. I have a great location right off the freeway so good for commuters. I plan on marketing to higher end clients. Building an outdoor learning center, organic eating, and mix between Montossori (learning) and R.I.E(parenting) philosophies. I am even in an unincorporated area that allows small farm animals. So I was thinking of doing a chicken coop( just for eggs)and a fresh vegtable garden. I want to keep ratio low with high but still fair rates.
Reply
Controlled Chaos 03:17 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Brittany:
Thanks, I am in Huntington Beach, which is a higher end area when compared to Long Beach. I have a great location right off the freeway so good for commuters. I plan on marketing to higher end clients. Building an outdoor learning center, organic eating, and mix between Montossori (learning) and R.I.E(parenting) philosophies. I am even in an unincorporated area that allows small farm animals. So I was thinking of doing a chicken coop( just for eggs)and a fresh vegtable garden. I want to keep ratio low with high but still fair rates.
Sounds awesome! I wish my city allowed chickens we are the only one in the county that doesn't allow them!
Reply
Brittany 06:54 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Sounds awesome! I wish my city allowed chickens we are the only one in the county that doesn't allow them!
That stinks, I think we are one of the only ones allowed to have them and its on a technicality due to zoning. I confess I have never had chickens so it may not be all its cracked up to be haha.
Reply
Unregistered 10:25 PM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by Brittany:
I have searched endellessly online and I can't find what the "average" rate for in home childcare is. I find many threads but all are at least 5-7 years old I quoted average because I am sure it's a huge range. I was thinking of charging $275 a week for full time care. Do you think that's an appropriate rate? Should I charge more or less? Can anyone give me a range of what you charge or where you think I should fall?
BlackCat beat me to it but THIS is what I used....http://www.crs.ymca.org/child-care/c...html...I'm in San Diego in my area I'm considered cheap at $240 for infants full time and $185 for toddlers and $100 for SA.
Reply
daycare 11:44 PM 11-13-2015
try using this...


http://www3.cde.ca.gov/rcscc/index.aspx

these are the reimbursement ceiling rates for 2015 if you were to have a child on assistance. these are the newest rates, they should be coming out for 2016 here next month if there are any changes.

this is how I set my rates.
Reply
Unregistered 12:39 PM 11-15-2015
Daycare,
Do you try to use similar rates listed or do you go over/under. I am just curious because I will be raising rates for new clients in January. The rates are a bit higher than I charge, except the infant rate. It is lower than I currently charge, I keep the infant rate $50/week more than over 2's. For my county that rate was only about $10/week more. Crazy! What is the point of eve charging more if it equals $2/day?
Reply
Brittany 03:15 PM 11-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
try using this...


http://www3.cde.ca.gov/rcscc/index.aspx

these are the reimbursement ceiling rates for 2015 if you were to have a child on assistance. these are the newest rates, they should be coming out for 2016 here next month if there are any changes.

this is how I set my rates.
Thank you so much! This is the most helpful info I have gotten in regards to pricing so far. Do you charge exactly what it says or a little more/less?
Reply
daycare 06:24 PM 11-16-2015
When I first opened I charged a little less to attract clients. I found it attracted some crazy people, lol

I quickly changed to charging the same as in home and now I charge a little more than posted for my county.

If you see the weekly rate verses the daily rate it doesn't make sense, I talked to someone at the state and they couldn't answer why that is like that.

I charge the daily rate x number of days you attend.

Since this is a baseline, I would still check and see people in your area to see if they are conforming to these rates or not.

If I was starting out I would slightly adjust these rates a tiny bit lower and the. Raise them as you get better and better.

Hope this helps some.
Reply
Brittany 07:18 PM 11-16-2015
Yes I noticed that the week/monthly rates were much different too. Seems like the daily rates are the most favorable to the provider while monthly is more favorable for the parent.
Reply
Tags:rates, rates - california
Reply Up