Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Price Over Quality?
MomBoss 12:07 PM 06-27-2018
Ive noticed parents are more interested in the price of the daycare over quality..which is crazy because this is your child! Parents care more about a deal than quality, cleaniness, and the environment of the daycare. The last couple of inquiries I got for childcare, they immediately ask my price and when I told one woman..she said she will let me know becuase she has an interview at a more reasonably priced daycare...(i was a lil offended by the word reasonable)
Im not super expensive at all..there are daycares $20+ more a week than me in the area.. But why not just come check out my daycare anyway, maybe what I have to offer is more important than the price???!
7 years ago I was a single mom making minimum wage...but i still didnt choose the cheapest daycare..this was my child and i had to love the person and the environment!
Im just surprised.
Reply
Blackcat31 12:21 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Ive noticed parents are more interested in the price of the daycare over quality..which is crazy because this is your child! Parents care more about a deal than quality, cleaniness, and the environment of the daycare. The last couple of inquiries I got for childcare, they immediately ask my price and when I told one woman..she said she will let me know becuase she has an interview at a more reasonably priced daycare...(i was a lil offended by the word reasonable)
Im not super expensive at all..there are daycares $20+ more a week than me in the area.. But why not just come check out my daycare anyway, maybe what I have to offer is more important than the price???!
7 years ago I was a single mom making minimum wage...but i still didnt choose the cheapest daycare..this was my child and i had to love the person and the environment!
Im just surprised.
As we all were when we first opened.
But youíll get used to it.
Reply
Cat Herder 12:26 PM 06-27-2018
It used to bother me.

Now I just assume their budget determines the available quality they have to choose from. That is how I am with my medical care. I don't really have much choice with my high deductible that I have not met once.

I typically ask them what they can afford, if we are not too far off I may choose to offer some wiggle room. Offer fewer hours, make a services trade or a time limited offer if the kids age/hours really complement the group or my goals at the time.
Reply
hwichlaz 12:38 PM 06-27-2018
It doesnít matter how amazing my program is if they canít afford it. Iíd want to know price first thing too, so I donít waste my time touring programs I canít pay for.
Reply
MomBoss 12:46 PM 06-27-2018
It makes me wonder why i put so much into my program if all they care about is the price. I could be $10 cheaper if I cut out some of my “quality”.
I couldnt afford my sons daycare either so i shopped at the dollar store a lot and went without a lot of things..so long as it ment I knew my son was safe and well cared for. Cant put a price on that.
Reply
hwichlaz 12:48 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
It makes me wonder why i put so much into my program if all they care about is the price. I could be $10 cheaper if I cut out some of my ďqualityĒ.
I couldnt afford my sons daycare either so i shopped at the dollar store a lot and went without a lot of things..so long as it ment I knew my son was safe and well cared for. Cant put a price on that.
That worked for you. But for some people itís the difference in being able to avoid healthy food and a doctor.
Reply
Cat Herder 01:04 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
That worked for you. But for some people it’s the difference in being able to avoid healthy food and a doctor.
That is becoming the norm here now that many of the local plants have recently gone to majority 36 hour employees, compressed workweek.
Reply
storybookending 01:37 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It doesnít matter how amazing my program is if they canít afford it. Iíd want to know price first thing too, so I donít waste my time touring programs I canít pay for.
This.
Reply
MomBoss 02:11 PM 06-27-2018
So you would choose a dirty daycare over a bettrr provider who is $5 more a week? :-/
When i say quality i dont Just mean the curriculum. When i searched for daycares i walked into homes that smelled like animal poop, dusty, kids toys were dirty..
Reply
Ariana 02:13 PM 06-27-2018
I have stopped caring as well! The people who choose me are usually parents who care about the quality and can afford my care. Some people just cannot afford me and that is ok! I am not going to reduce my rates or my quality to compensate someone else’s budget or need for cheap and trust me when I say they will get what they pay for
Reply
MomBoss 02:19 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have stopped caring as well! The people who choose me are usually parents who care about the quality and can afford my care. Some people just cannot afford me and that is ok! I am not going to reduce my rates or my quality to compensate someone elseís budget or need for cheap and trust me when I say they will get what they pay for
Yes. I guess i was more offended that they said my rate was unreasonable. So yea i guess they will get what they pay for lol
Reply
storybookending 07:12 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
So you would choose a dirty daycare over a bettrr provider who is $5 more a week? :-/
When i say quality i dont Just mean the curriculum. When i searched for daycares i walked into homes that smelled like animal poop, dusty, kids toys were dirty..
Would I? No never but some people just donít care. Honestly I donít fret about it because clients that are willing to sacrifice care of their child over a few dollars are not the types of people I want as clients anyways.
Reply
amberrose3dg 04:18 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Would I? No never but some people just donít care. Honestly I donít fret about it because clients that are willing to sacrifice care of their child over a few dollars are not the types of people I want as clients anyways.

It bothers me when I see parents that can afford it but chose nicer vehicles or newest shoes/clothes over their children. I am not the cheapest or the most expensive. It will probably work out better for you in the long run. Those parents usually are the ones that are most likely to break all of your rules too!
Reply
ColorfulSunburst 04:46 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It doesnít matter how amazing my program is if they canít afford it. Iíd want to know price first thing too, so I donít waste my time touring programs I canít pay for.

I had a lot of people who changed their mind after visiting our program and decided to pay more for daycare than they planned. If I gave them my price before visiting us they would never become our customers.
We also got some customers on the referral of people who were not able to afford our price.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 06-28-2018
Quality means different things to different people
Reply
Ariana 07:49 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Quality means different things to different people
This as well! Parents care about totally different things whether it be education, play based learning, tv time, outside time etc.
Reply
hwichlaz 01:46 PM 06-29-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
So you would choose a dirty daycare over a bettrr provider who is $5 more a week? :-/
When i say quality i dont Just mean the curriculum. When i searched for daycares i walked into homes that smelled like animal poop, dusty, kids toys were dirty..
Depends on the kind of dirt. Animal poop? No. Rotten food? No. Dirt tracked in from outside and on toys? Sign me up because I want my kid to get dirty, and I donít want them in an over sanitized environment.
Reply
Laugh and Learn 09:56 PM 06-29-2018
Think of it as a blessing in disguise. I am not the cheapest in my area nor am I at the very top. But close to it. I am always upfront with the tuition. If they decide to visit they see for themselves the quality of care. The people that are looking for the cheapest possible place no matter the circumstances are probably families that wouldnít be a good fit for your program anyway.
Reply
Unregistered 10:36 PM 06-29-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
So you would choose a dirty daycare over a bettrr provider who is $5 more a week? :-/
When i say quality i dont Just mean the curriculum. When i searched for daycares i walked into homes that smelled like animal poop, dusty, kids toys were dirty..

They probably don't care, because their homes are like this. They pick such programs because they won't question a clown car of people showing up for pick ups and drop offs yet no one can be reached for emergencies/sickness, or when the child comes in with abuse marks/rashes, or any red flag because they're getting some kind of subsidiary whether the children show up or not. The people who work these jobs aren't usually the owners. The worker either don't care, leave for another jobs asap, or get fired when they make issues with families.

This is why I can't take families that have used centers. They often scoff at me when I say I can't allow just anyone to pick up, talk about my sick policies, or want to meet their children during the interview process. They're just used to this baby jail/zoo type of care. Honestly, the schools around here are run much the same.
Reply
amberrose3dg 05:02 AM 06-30-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They probably don't care, because their homes are like this. They pick such programs because they won't question a clown car of people showing up for pick ups and drop offs yet no one can be reached for emergencies/sickness, or when the child comes in with abuse marks/rashes, or any red flag because they're getting some kind of subsidiary whether the children show up or not. The people who work these jobs aren't usually the owners. The worker either don't care, leave for another jobs asap, or get fired when they make issues with families.

This is why I can't take families that have used centers. They often scoff at me when I say I can't allow just anyone to pick up, talk about my sick policies, or want to meet their children during the interview process. They're just used to this baby jail/zoo type of care. Honestly, the schools around here are run much the same.
This
Reply
MyAngels 07:15 PM 06-30-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
So you would choose a dirty daycare over a bettrr provider who is $5 more a week? :-/
When i say quality i dont Just mean the curriculum. When i searched for daycares i walked into homes that smelled like animal poop, dusty, kids toys were dirty..
It sounds like you're going on the assumption that because another provider charges less than you do, that they are somehow inferior. Back in the day (I'm old ) I looked high and low for a provider that was wonderful and who fit my budget. I learned that price was absolutely not an indicator of quality. The best provider I ever had charged only $50 per week when everyone else was charging $75.
Reply
Mike 07:22 PM 06-30-2018
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
It sounds like you're going on the assumption that because another provider charges less than you do, that they are somehow inferior. Back in the day (I'm old ) I looked high and low for a provider that was wonderful and who fit my budget. I learned that price was absolutely not an indicator of quality. The best provider I ever had charged only $50 per week when everyone else was charging $75.
It's true. Price doesn't always mean quality. It's a good general assumption, but it isn't always the case.

Some parents really don't care where they leave their kids. Most do care, but often have to find affordable as well. Some only want the best for their child. As with any topic, there are people with a wide range of thoughts, beliefs, and expectations. The trick is to match up the parents with the providers.
Reply
hwichlaz 09:08 PM 06-30-2018
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
It sounds like you're going on the assumption that because another provider charges less than you do, that they are somehow inferior. Back in the day (I'm old ) I looked high and low for a provider that was wonderful and who fit my budget. I learned that price was absolutely not an indicator of quality. The best provider I ever had charged only $50 per week when everyone else was charging $75.
Exactly. Here, new less experienced providers charge more because they need set up money and their housing is usually much more expensive.
Reply
Tags:affordable, price vs quality, quality, rates
Reply Up