Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Interview Never Called Back...
Abigail 12:09 AM 12-05-2011
It's been over a week now and I have not heard back from the first person I interviewed with. I made a post on it and learned a lot and look forward to doing more interviews. I'm just starting to get frustrated because I wish they would at least call and let me know they found another provider. I always tell myself if it was meant to be that He would let me know. I also though that I wouldn't try to call because I figured if they had questions they would call or email, they had my handbook and my business card.

I guess I could call and ask if she had any questions about my handbook? That would "break the ice", but next time I'm not giving out my handbook unless we go over it. I feel horrible because I couldn't even remember the little girls name, but I did remember both mom/dads names. LOL. Also, if this family joined my daycare my infant spots would be full and I'm hoping to get some 2 on up ages in the door. Chances are I will get someone with a young toddler and preschool age child who would end up using my last infant spot, KWIM? What do you recommend I do? Contact them or not.

I do not have email or I would definiately do that! I only have one cell phone number and two first names.
permanentvacation 03:50 AM 12-05-2011
I don't call them after an interview. If they want to hire you, either they will hire you on the interview or will call back themselves. I called people back when I first started and a time or two throughout my carreer. I NEVER had anyone hire me if I called them after an interview. I just felt like I was bothering/harrassing/begging them to come to my daycare. So I don't ever call anyone anymore. I do let people know on the phone before the interview and if they don't hire me on the interview, I do let them know that I give out my spots on a first come, first serve basis. Sometimes that gets them to go ahead and take the spot for fear of it being taken by someone else before they get back with me. I also have told people that I have 2 other interviews lined up after theirs - I usually throw that in with the line about giving out my space on 1st come basis.

If you just started your business, you will get used to people not calling back - they almost never do unless they want the spot. Also, if they want to cancel the interview, they almost never call to cancel either, they just don't show up and you are sitting there wasting your day waiting for them. I suggest giving them 10 minutes to be late to the interview with no call from them about being late. If they don't call or show up and they are 10 minutes late, I assume they aren't coming and go about my day.

It's hard to get your first kids. And in this economy, it's hard to get kids at all! Stick to it, advertise your butt off! Hand out business cards to random people walking in the neighborhood, at parks/playgrounds, etc. Line up interviews back to back - giving each client 1 hour ( or whatever you feel you need for an interview) and don't assume that you're getting hired by each interview. Keep advertising and lining up interviews even if you have a handful of interviews lined up.

You'll get kids. Just keep working on it. Good luck.
laundrymom 04:00 AM 12-05-2011
Personally if they call I would tell them you have interviewed others and will get back to them within the week with your decIsion.

Don't call them unless you said you would in interview.
KBCsMommy 08:50 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I don't call them after an interview. If they want to hire you, either they will hire you on the interview or will call back themselves. I called people back when I first started and a time or two throughout my carreer. I NEVER had anyone hire me if I called them after an interview. I just felt like I was bothering/harrassing/begging them to come to my daycare. So I don't ever call anyone anymore. I do let people know on the phone before the interview and if they don't hire me on the interview, I do let them know that I give out my spots on a first come, first serve basis. Sometimes that gets them to go ahead and take the spot for fear of it being taken by someone else before they get back with me. I also have told people that I have 2 other interviews lined up after theirs - I usually throw that in with the line about giving out my space on 1st come basis.

If you just started your business, you will get used to people not calling back - they almost never do unless they want the spot. Also, if they want to cancel the interview, they almost never call to cancel either, they just don't show up and you are sitting there wasting your day waiting for them. I suggest giving them 10 minutes to be late to the interview with no call from them about being late. If they don't call or show up and they are 10 minutes late, I assume they aren't coming and go about my day.

It's hard to get your first kids. And in this economy, it's hard to get kids at all! Stick to it, advertise your butt off! Hand out business cards to random people walking in the neighborhood, at parks/playgrounds, etc. Line up interviews back to back - giving each client 1 hour ( or whatever you feel you need for an interview) and don't assume that you're getting hired by each interview. Keep advertising and lining up interviews even if you have a handful of interviews lined up.

You'll get kids. Just keep working on it. Good luck.
Couldnt have said it better myself!!!

I have done tons of interviews, some families went with my daycare some not. The families that didnt call me back were all great. I felt it was a great fit, but obviously they didnt feel that way since I never heard back from them.

When I was a newbie I would call people back, they would never answer or call me back. Then I felt foolish and felt they probaly thought I was desperate!!! So I stopped calling and eventually found families to fill my spots!!

Keep advertising. Keep interviewing. You WILL find families to fill your spots!
Sugar Magnolia 11:02 AM 12-05-2011
I think it breaks down like this. For every 10 calls I get, 1 will come interview. For every 10 interviews I get, 1 will sign up. I wouldn't waste your time or energy calling back. I have a handbook, but during interviews I go over it, but don't give it out. Instead, I have a "policy and price summary page" that I hand out. One sheet. Cuts down on cost of copies. Hang in there girl! Things always pick up after the Holidays!!!
Mandy_Jane 11:17 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I think it breaks down like this. For every 10 calls I get, 1 will come interview. For every 10 interviews I get, 1 will sign up. I wouldn't waste your time or energy calling back.
This is SO right! It's sad how the daycare world works, but people don't appreciate us like they should! People are inconsiderate and will walk all over you. They schedule interviews and blow them off, leaving you sitting there wasting your time. They come and interview and take all of your paperwork, and then you never hear from them again. It's no exaggeration that you will only get maybe 1 out of 10 interviews who will actually enroll their child with you. You just have to keep at it and DON'T call the families back if you don't hear from them. They will call YOU if they want to enroll their child. It really does make you look desperate. Just keep up with the advertising and you will eventually find families who love you.
Nellie 10:18 PM 12-05-2011
I think every one gave you great advice and I couldn't have said it better myself. I have never called anyone back in fear of looking desperate and I really don't want to push anyone that doesn't feel that I'm right to watch there child. It is hard getting your first kids. I took a break when I got pregnant with my 3rd child. I didn't replace the kids that went to kindergarten and with in months of me finding out I was expecting two of my families with 2 children enrolled each had been laid off. I wasn't feel very well and with my 2nd pregnancy I was extremely ill all 9 months. All I had left was one newborn. That worked out perfectly. I was able to spend most of the day in a rocking chair with the baby while I watched my own 1 year old. I turned down lots of call from word of mouth from my former families. My son turned out to be a very colicky baby. Finally when he was 9 months I got a call from someone looking for temporary care while there provider was on maternity. Shortly after the new boy started I got a call for another child and the temp boy stayed on. Within a few months I started getting a few calls a month with out advertising. Because I had 3 one year olds and I was getting back in the swing of things I turned down every one that called. I found out a few weeks back that one of my one year olds will be done in January. The Dr. his mom works for is leaving and she is out of a job. I put up some fliers and an ad on craigslist and I haven't had one call. Some one said that calls pick up after the holidays so I hope that is the case. Hang in there. I also have been seeing ads on craigslist where Licensed Family providers are offering a free week of childcare to new families. They had to be full time and after 2 paid weeks then they got the free week. The rates for these places were low considering they were licensed and offered a preschool curriculum. Many stay at home mom's looking to take on an additional child charged more that this. One thing I did notice is that the rate reflected a 40 hour week and 8 hours a day. Most full time families need at least 9 hours of care to accommodate driving and 1/2 hour lunch. I have a feeling that the rate goes up to the going rate or more for an additional 5 to 10 hours a week. I don't know if you would want to consider doing something like this to get a few more client calls or interviews. Personally I wouldn't do anything like that, but maybe if I was desperate. Daycare sucks the life out of me and I think I'd want to die if I worked a full week for nothing.
Sunchimes 04:16 AM 12-06-2011
We call it Collecting Noes. Hubby and I have been in business for over 30 years (not in daycare). When he has an opening and needs a new account, he just starts making sales calls until he gets one. We have found the same thing that Sugar Magnolia mentioned. About every 10 sales calls will get a new account. If you want 2 new accounts, you have to collect 18 noes.

Good luck!! It took me 5 months to fill up my places when I started last winter. I had given up and was going to start applying for jobs again when I got 2 new families in one day.
MarinaVanessa 08:06 AM 12-06-2011
I'd still consider that a success. Your interviewed showed up so that's a good sign . Usually out of 10 calls I get 5 or 6 interviews, from those 5 or 6 interviews 2-3 will show up and the rest won't call or show up to the interview, the ones that do show up to interview will call and schedule a 2nd interview after a week or 2 and then maybe one of of the interviews will actually want to sign up.

That's usually how it goes around here so I always make sure to swamp myself with interviews in order to get enough potentials for me to choose from. We are saturated with new FCC's that have sprouted since many moms lost their jobs so it's difficult here to get new kids.
Tags:interview - follow up, interview - no luck
Reply Up