Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Terms Care And Then Changes Mind
daycare 03:43 PM 06-18-2013
I have a family that gave me term notice a few months back that they wanted their child to go to this very prestigious private preschool. OK no worries.

Well this morning DCD tells me that they changed their mind and they are only going to send DCK for the summer but want DCK to come back in the fall. They also requested to go from part time to full time.

NOW my question is...

Do I treat it as a leave of absence and charge them that rate? Or do I treat them as if we are starting all over again and have them pay a holding fee for the spot????
cheerfuldom 03:46 PM 06-18-2013
What do you want to do that works best for you? what is the difference in costs for your two possibilities?
daycare 03:48 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
What do you want to do that works best for you? what is the difference in costs for your two possibilities?
It would cost more to take a leave of absence than to pay for a holding fee.
daycarediva 03:51 PM 06-18-2013
I would tell them that they can pay 1/2 rate (what I charge for holding the spot) or the space won't be guaranteed in fall.
TheGoodLife 04:17 PM 06-18-2013
"I would love having DCK return in the fall! My leave of absense rate is $X". If she complains, "well you can always leave and try to reenroll, but I am advertising for the spot and can't guarrantee it will be available when you return."
Unless you really want to keep them, then you could agree to hold the spot, but know there's no guarantee they will return!
TheGoodLife 04:28 PM 06-18-2013
I held a spot once for over five months for a great DCF- the boy was here 1 day a week and they would pay for the occasional days he would stay home with mom on her maternity leave. A couple weeks before the baby was to start FT, DCD came by to drop off a check and tell me DCM decided to keep the baby home with her. So even great families will do what is best for them without thinking of any inconvenience to you, so just be careful if you do decide to do them any favors!
daycare 05:41 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I held a spot once for over five months for a great DCF- the boy was here 1 day a week and they would pay for the occasional days he would stay home with mom on her maternity leave. A couple weeks before the baby was to start FT, DCD came by to drop off a check and tell me DCM decided to keep the baby home with her. So even great families will do what is best for them without thinking of any inconvenience to you, so just be careful if you do decide to do them any favors!
so very ture. I will do what you suggested in your other post and tell them that it is XYZ amount and if they don't want to have to pay it, that I will not be able to guarantee the spot. Considering that it is a full time spot
Papa 08:28 AM 07-08-2014
I would tell them they have to pay for their spot to save it or if they drop for any amount of time their spot will probably be taken. I had one of my pickiest moms tell me she would NEVER pay for care if she didn't need it. ( she was a teacher and was home for the summer). Her spot was gone within a week. Then during rest of summer she had to scramble to find care. She went through 4 other day cares and she was not happy with them. Years later she said she regretted and wished she had paid for that spot. Too bad, I advised and warned her.
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 07-08-2014
Old thread.
Tags:notice not, parents - changing things
Reply Up