Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!

New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! Introduce yourself. Find out how to use your account and forum features. Who are you? Why do you do/use daycare? What brought you here? What kind of daycare are you associated with?

Old 02-13-2021, 05:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Lightbulb Opinions Please

Hello,

Backstory
My family is currently relocating to Michigan for my husband's job. He is an engineer and my background is in youth development. I've mostly worked with non profits like the Boys and Girls club and YMCA to create community engagement programs for children. You two daughters attend a STEMS centered daycare in Pittsburgh. Upon researching the providers in the location we are moving we found the programs severely behind what our girls are used to, which sparked me to investigate starting my own program. I am a firm believer in that by teaching young children to use their thinking skills and ask questions we form a more inquisitive generation...

Now
I'm considering starting my own in home daycare then branching into a center model if it is successful. I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to offer. I have just started working with my mother a former kindergarten teacher to develop the curriculum.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:33 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to stating a daycare. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31166
Old 02-13-2021, 08:55 PM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBlackburn View Post
Hello,

Backstory
My family is currently relocating to Michigan for my husband's job. He is an engineer and my background is in youth development. I've mostly worked with non profits like the Boys and Girls club and YMCA to create community engagement programs for children. You two daughters attend a STEMS centered daycare in Pittsburgh. Upon researching the providers in the location we are moving we found the programs severely behind what our girls are used to, which sparked me to investigate starting my own program. I am a firm believer in that by teaching young children to use their thinking skills and ask questions we form a more inquisitive generation...

Now
I'm considering starting my own in home daycare then branching into a center model if it is successful. I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to offer. I have just started working with my mother a former kindergarten teacher to develop the curriculum.
Welcome to MI, which area you are moving to?

My first piece of advice would be to read the rules and regulations for home daycare, come back and ask any questions that you may have.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/l...5_494800_7.pdf

You are welcome to PM directly with any questions.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

And spend some time reading here. If you're going to start a new program, you'll be a target for parents who couldn't get what they wanted from the last provider. They will sign up with you and insist you treat their child special. Get a backbone, write your policies, and be prepared to stick with them - before you open your doors to customers.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:36 AM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom View Post
And spend some time reading here. If you're going to start a new program, you'll be a target for parents who couldn't get what they wanted from the last provider. They will sign up with you and insist you treat their child special. Get a backbone, write your policies, and be prepared to stick with them - before you open your doors to customers.
Wow this, I wish someone said that to me when I opened.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom View Post
Ha! True story! Unless you're starting with infants. Avoid resentment by holding your ground off the get-go!

I think it's awesome that you're planning this adventure! I'm sure any community would love to have the opportunity you are planning to provide their children. Good for you!

Tags
starting a daycare