Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wonder How The Food Program Would Feel? Juicing Veggies/Fruits
SunflowerMama 10:18 AM 07-22-2011
So a few weeks ago we purchased a juicer and LOVE it!!

As a family we're consuming so many more fruits and veggies that we've never eaten or haven't eaten that much of.

So today I decided to try it out on the dcks . With their breakfast I added a broccoli, ginger, pear, apple and orange juice and with lunch a huge bunch of brocolli, some spinach, some more pears, apples and oranges and a little more ginger.

The kids drank it up both times and LOVED it!! I'm definitely going to start including veggie/fruit drinks with the kids meals to get in those extra servings.

Just wonder what the Food Program would think if they showed up to a plate of whole wheat pasta and big glass of "juice".
GotKids 10:29 AM 07-22-2011
It only counts as juice because you aren't getting all the nutrients that you would from a whole food (fiber and such). I serve "smoothies" from my vitamix as part of snack. It doesn't count but I feel good knowing the kids got an extra boost of vitamins disguised as a treat!
MG&Lsmom 10:31 AM 07-22-2011
That's fantastic!

I'm not allowed to serve juice as a fruit/veggie at lunch. Breakfast either iirc. But I can serve soup. So I'd call it soup.
MsMe 10:33 AM 07-22-2011
SunflowerMama:
Did you watch Fat, Sick, and nearly Dead?
SunflowerMama 10:46 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
SunflowerMama:
Hehe...yep. We bought the juicer the next day.
nannyde 10:47 AM 07-22-2011
I've never had a juicer but I want one so bad.

Maybe you could send me yours Sun

Do you get "mash" from it?

I have thought maybe you could juice and then puree the mash and pop it into stews.

The kids would eventually get all of it and nevah even know what hitem.

daycare 10:48 AM 07-22-2011
We make fruit/veggie smoothies and I was told that I cant cound the fruits and veggies that go into it as food servings..............ugh
MsMe 10:51 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Hehe...yep. We bought the juicer the next day.
Me too!!
SunflowerMama 10:54 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by GotKids:
It only counts as juice because you aren't getting all the nutrients that you would from a whole food (fiber and such). I serve "smoothies" from my vitamix as part of snack. It doesn't count but I feel good knowing the kids got an extra boost of vitamins disguised as a treat!
My understanding was that a lot of the nutrients were still there it was just the fiber that was reduced through juicing and if you still wanted that fiber you could use the extra pulp in baking or cooking. I juice pretty much everything with the skin still on.
SunflowerMama 10:58 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I've never had a juicer but I want one so bad.

Maybe you could send me yours Sun

Do you get "mash" from it?

I have thought maybe you could juice and then puree the mash and pop it into stews.

The kids would eventually get all of it and nevah even know what hitem.

There's definitely a lot of "mash" created. I added it to blueberry muffins last week and it wasn't bad. Stew would be a great idea too!
Country Kids 11:01 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
SunflowerMama:
Is this a movie or tv show? If a tv show what channel do they show it on?
SunflowerMama 11:07 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Is this a movie or tv show? If a tv show what channel do they show it on?
It's a documentary on Netflix. Definitely recommend it.
SilverSabre25 12:52 PM 07-22-2011
This is such a perfect example of why I am SO GLAD to not be on the food program. Traditional fruit juices that you buy in the store are full of sugar, sure. But Smoothies can't be counted as fruit/veggies servings? Home-juiced fruits and veggies can't count? That's just silly! And anyway, my reading of the Food Program Guidelines suggests to me that you still have to serve milk, but the juice will count as the fruit/veggie, or you can give it at snack as a fruit/veggie serving.

I bet it's largely because of a) stupid people and b) the government's asinine desire to make everyone drink cow's milk all the time. People aren't supposed to drink cow's milk. That's for baby cows. After recently eliminating dairy completely from my diet, I have realized how insidious dairy is and how much the standard American diet relies upon it. Eliminating gluten five years ago showed me the same thing, but for wheat. Between the two, humanity, or at least Americans, are relying overmuch a very limited selection. Add in corn and there's practically nothing you can get that you don't make yourself. It's seriously that bad. If we had a monumental disaster in America that killed all the wheat, cows, and corn, the processed food industry would shut down, literally, overnight. It would not be able to function without those three ingredients.
daycare 12:56 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This is such a perfect example of why I am SO GLAD to not be on the food program. Traditional fruit juices that you buy in the store are full of sugar, sure. But Smoothies can't be counted as fruit/veggies servings? Home-juiced fruits and veggies can't count? That's just silly! And anyway, my reading of the Food Program Guidelines suggests to me that you still have to serve milk, but the juice will count as the fruit/veggie, or you can give it at snack as a fruit/veggie serving.

I bet it's largely because of a) stupid people and b) the government's asinine desire to make everyone drink cow's milk all the time. People aren't supposed to drink cow's milk. That's for baby cows. After recently eliminating dairy completely from my diet, I have realized how insidious dairy is and how much the standard American diet relies upon it. Eliminating gluten five years ago showed me the same thing, but for wheat. Between the two, humanity, or at least Americans, are relying overmuch a very limited selection. Add in corn and there's practically nothing you can get that you don't make yourself. It's seriously that bad. If we had a monumental disaster in America that killed all the wheat, cows, and corn, the processed food industry would shut down, literally, overnight. It would not be able to function without those three ingredients.
AMEN to all that you said.... I am a vegan and can live no doubt if everything processed was to shut down... But i bet most of america would starve......
BTW why is it that humans are the only ones to drink milk past infancy?
SilverSabre25 01:15 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
AMEN to all that you said.... I am a vegan and can live no doubt if everything processed was to shut down... But i bet most of america would starve......
BTW why is it that humans are the only ones to drink milk past infancy?
Because we're the only creatures with the ability to obtain milk from other creatures.

I can certainly survive on a vegan diet. I have two vegan cookbooks sitting next to me in fact!
daycare 01:59 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Because we're the only creatures with the ability to obtain milk from other creatures.

I can certainly survive on a vegan diet. I have two vegan cookbooks sitting next to me in fact!
i dont really own any vegan cookbooks lol perhaps because everything i eat is raw....lol

I do have a palieo cookbook, but thats for my meat eating son and husband...
Country Kids 03:37 PM 07-22-2011
Its funny that everyone comes down on cow's milk when I know lots of people that drink goats milk also. Then I have friends that drink rice milk, don't know what in it but sounds very processed. They say it tastes like ice cream so it must be chock full of sugar.

The one question I do have here is-if we eleminate all dairy and such out of our diets where in the world do you get your calcium from. I know alot of people that will take calcium but to me that is no better than drinking milk.

I'm not saying you guys are this way at all but all the people though that I know who eat ultra healthy are either heavy in weight or so thin they look sickly.

Daycare do you have any dental issues. Not trying to be nosey but we have friends who eat raw and for some reason they have lots of problems with their teeth and the dentist seriously thought it was their diet.

Not sure just questions I had and was wondering about.
TracyB 04:41 PM 07-22-2011
@country Kids

There are other ways to meet your daily calcium requirements. I love milk, but when I think about where it comes from.. I agree with the others, why do we drink milk past infancy.

Here is an interesting article... I never realized that sesame seeds had way more calcium than milk... I love sesame seeds... I have a Pilipino friend who makes these chewy sesame seed bars with dried fruit...I love them... OMG they are so good!

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...in-calcium.php
SilverSabre25 06:26 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Its funny that everyone comes down on cow's milk when I know lots of people that drink goats milk also. Then I have friends that drink rice milk, don't know what in it but sounds very processed. They say it tastes like ice cream so it must be chock full of sugar.

The one question I do have here is-if we eleminate all dairy and such out of our diets where in the world do you get your calcium from. I know alot of people that will take calcium but to me that is no better than drinking milk.

I'm not saying you guys are this way at all but all the people though that I know who eat ultra healthy are either heavy in weight or so thin they look sickly.

Daycare do you have any dental issues. Not trying to be nosey but we have friends who eat raw and for some reason they have lots of problems with their teeth and the dentist seriously thought it was their diet.

Not sure just questions I had and was wondering about.
Well, cow's milk is rather more common than goat's milk. Alternative milks include soy, rice, almond, coconut, hemp, multi-grain...and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. They are mostly made by blending the source (rice, almonds, etc) with water, then squeezing the resultant liquid through cheesecloth or a strainer to catch the leftover mush. The liquid is what they call the "milk".

They aren't processed in quite the way most processed foods are processed. Here's a recipe for homemade almond milk. I would never describe ANY of them as tasting like ice cream, not in any way, shape, or form. They don't even really achieve creamy...not the way a cow-milk drinker thinks of creamy. You can get them in unsweetened or in sweetened versions, and the unsweetened honestly doesn't taste like a heckuva lot. The sweetened are better, mildy, just because there's more taste. Ice cream, ha, no. Only if you don't know what ice cream tastes like...

Calcium...it's mostly a myth that we need milk to get calcium. If that were true, then what did all the people do who didn't have cows for most of, well, forever? Most cultures around the world don't (or didn't until recently, meaning the past 100 years or so) drink milk, at least not with the frequency and in the quantities that Americans believe is necessary. Here is a list of non-dairy calcium sources. Here's an article, from Harvard, nonetheless, that explains in more detail.
PitterPatter 06:33 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
So a few weeks ago we purchased a juicer and LOVE it!!

As a family we're consuming so many more fruits and veggies that we've never eaten or haven't eaten that much of.

So today I decided to try it out on the dcks . With their breakfast I added a broccoli, ginger, pear, apple and orange juice and with lunch a huge bunch of brocolli, some spinach, some more pears, apples and oranges and a little more ginger.

The kids drank it up both times and LOVED it!! I'm definitely going to start including veggie/fruit drinks with the kids meals to get in those extra servings.

Just wonder what the Food Program would think if they showed up to a plate of whole wheat pasta and big glass of "juice".
Here we can't serve juice as a veg or fruit in a meal unless it's part of a snack so I say pour it in a bowl toss a spoon in it and call it cold soup! Don't forget the glass of 1% milk too!
Tags:food program, fruit, vegetables
Reply Up