Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curious
MissAnn 10:50 AM 03-03-2016
What age (average) do your kids learn to write their names. For me it's usually 3-3.5 but this year just seems different. This is also a group which doesn't really draw even though we do a lot of fine motor and drawing activities. Just seems like kids are not as interested in pencil/crayon/pen activities. I want to blame it on iPads and not playing outside to develop the large motor skills first. I looked back at old pictures from a few years ago and the difference in detail and creativity is huge!
Miss A 10:59 AM 03-03-2016
There is a very big difference! My kids seem to get bored so fast when they are offered paper and crayons/markers/pencils.

I use dry erase markers and plastic page protectors with the child's name written in a faint grey so that they can begin to trace their name. We start at about 2.5, and some kids catch in quick. When I did 3's preschool, I had some kids who could write every child's name in the class just from practicing so much.
MissAnn 11:22 AM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
There is a very big difference! My kids seem to get bored so fast when they are offered paper and crayons/markers/pencils.

I use dry erase markers and plastic page protectors with the child's name written in a faint grey so that they can begin to trace their name. We start at about 2.5, and some kids catch in quick. When I did 3's preschool, I had some kids who could write every child's name in the class just from practicing so much.
Yes! I almost said I'm glad it's not just me.....but no, that is sad. What are we doing to our kids? I have a 3.5 year old girl who is really struggling writing her name. I know she is still young but with handwriting without tears I usually have them writing their names by then. She is not even close. I have an almost 5 year old who actually does write very well, but still scribbles. He finally made a person.....but was still in the arms coming out of the head stage.
Ariana 12:15 PM 03-03-2016
My own child knew how to write her name just before turning 4 but I only pushed it because of school. She was an amazing drawer though and has an awesome imagination! My other child just turned 3 and we just started letter and number recognition. For me playing is much more important.

I think kids are too supervised and controlled. No one lets their kids have markers and paper to do whatever they want with and everyone is so afraid of mess. I have had 18 monthers and two year olds come to me having never held a marker That is just wrong! I just let the kids do whatever they want. Even if I am thinking "holy lawd what a mess" I keep it to myself. They really need that time for fine motor skills and creativity.

When I worked in a centre we didn't start this kind of stuff until the kids were 4-4.5 but I am Canadian and I think our system is not the same. I hear that the USA is much more focused on academics and there is a lot more testing.
Miss A 12:19 PM 03-03-2016
The US is much more focused on Academics, but I believe it is because as soon as a parent can get their child into preschool they no longer need to 'parent' during the day, or pay for daycare. So much of childhood is no longer about allowing a child to be a child, but to learn as much as you can as soon as you can. I understand the need for education, but I also want kids to have fun, and to explore. Childhood is for role playing, experimenting with your environment, and learning about the world that the child finds themselves immersed in.
MissAnn 01:19 PM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My own child knew how to write her name just before turning 4 but I only pushed it because of school. She was an amazing drawer though and has an awesome imagination! My other child just turned 3 and we just started letter and number recognition. For me playing is much more important.

I think kids are too supervised and controlled. No one lets their kids have markers and paper to do whatever they want with and everyone is so afraid of mess. I have had 18 monthers and two year olds come to me having never held a marker That is just wrong! I just let the kids do whatever they want. Even if I am thinking "holy lawd what a mess" I keep it to myself. They really need that time for fine motor skills and creativity.

When I worked in a centre we didn't start this kind of stuff until the kids were 4-4.5 but I am Canadian and I think our system is not the same. I hear that the USA is much more focused on academics and there is a lot more testing.
My kids are learning through play and what interests them. I don't push. What I am noticing is a lack of desire to even draw. Drawing is easier on an iPad or computer.
Miss A 01:53 PM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
My kids are learning through play and what interests them. I don't push. What I am noticing is a lack of desire to even draw. Drawing is easier on an iPad or computer.
Oh, I was never insinuating that were a pusher, I was just stating what I believe childhood is. I think you and I would agree on many things, Miss Ann
kendallina 02:00 PM 03-03-2016
Yeh, a whole group that has a lack of interest in drawing or other creative forms would be a concern. I would step back from writing and drawing and go to activities that are really open ended and good for fine motor skills (playdough, clay, eye droppers, painting, geoboards, etc).

Age in which my group learns varies greatly. I have a lot of parents that try and push it before they're 3. I have a lot of parents that don't push it at all. Almost all of my kiddos just pick it up without me having to 'instruct' much about it. I don't see any need for children to learn to write their names until they're closer to kinder. But for those that don't get it by the time they're 4 years old, I do get a little more intensive with them.
MissAnn 02:14 PM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Yeh, a whole group that has a lack of interest in drawing or other creative forms would be a concern. I would step back from writing and drawing and go to activities that are really open ended and good for fine motor skills (playdough, clay, eye droppers, painting, geoboards, etc).

Age in which my group learns varies greatly. I have a lot of parents that try and push it before they're 3. I have a lot of parents that don't push it at all. Almost all of my kiddos just pick it up without me having to 'instruct' much about it. I don't see any need for children to learn to write their names until they're closer to kinder. But for those that don't get it by the time they're 4 years old, I do get a little more intensive with them.
OK....let me rephrase. I am a learn through play program. My kids choose their activities every day. I do not push....we learn through play and what interests them. I use handwriting without tears but I make games out of it. I have several going to kindergarten next year and they love the hands on materials. I'm not asking what I should do about it...I already know how kids learn and the importance of hands on, playful experiences and plenty of materials to support that.

I'm just wondering if any of you have noticed the change in kids. All of mine have iPads and get on them as soon as they get home. They are not going outside to play as often....opting to zombie out on iPads or TV. We already know the effects of screen time are damaging for kids but with my current group I see the effects more dramatically in any other year.
MissAnn 02:16 PM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Oh, I was never insinuating that were a pusher, I was just stating what I believe childhood is. I think you and I would agree on many things, Miss Ann
No problem. I didn't feel attacked. I just think it's very sad that our children do not have the kind of childhood we had. Well, I'm speaking for myself. I am 56 years old.....ancient.
Miss A 02:19 PM 03-03-2016
No problem. I didn't feel attacked. I just think it's very sad that our children do not have the kind of childhood we had. Well, I'm speaking for myself. I am 56 years old.....ancient.
I agree. While I am still what many people consider to be quite young (22), I did not grow up in a house with electronics, and I do not like having to use them today!
Michael 02:44 PM 03-03-2016
Here is a PDF document that you can print that helps with milestones up to 5 years: https://www.daycare.com/news/milestones/milestones.pdf
midaycare 04:02 PM 03-03-2016
My ds did not use electronics (he is 8 now) until he was 6. He didn't learn to write his name until he was in kindergarten.

I don't think it's a big deal. Kids have so much time to learn that stuff. I don't focus on writing. Alphabet, numbers, sounds, colors, art, Spanish, music. Very little writing.
kendallina 04:05 PM 03-03-2016
OK....let me rephrase. I am a learn through play program. My kids choose their activities every day. I do not push....we learn through play and what interests them. I use handwriting without tears but I make games out of it. I have several going to kindergarten next year and they love the hands on materials. I'm not asking what I should do about it...I already know how kids learn and the importance of hands on, playful experiences and plenty of materials to support that.

I'm just wondering if any of you have noticed the change in kids. All of mine have iPads and get on them as soon as they get home. They are not going outside to play as often....opting to zombie out on iPads or TV. We already know the effects of screen time are damaging for kids but with my current group I see the effects more dramatically in any other year.
Oh, I totally didn't mean to come across like you're pushing them. I know a lot of people use handwriting without tears and the kids love it.

And while I haven't noticed that kids don't like art/writing as much as kids used to, but I have noticed that a lot of kids don't like to be outside as much as they used to. I've also noticed that some kids have a hard time directing themselves in their own playing. I've had a few children that would literally just sit around or walk around during free play, not even knowing how to make a choice. Both of my recent kids that did that, though, wasn't as much because of electronics, but more so because the parents were very helicopter-y and always played with their kids and told them what and how to do things.
Ariana 04:52 PM 03-03-2016
I also didn't mean to imply that you push the kids...I meant that I pushed it at 4 with my own kid because she was starting school and I figured she should at least know how to spell her name
MissAnn 05:08 PM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Oh, I totally didn't mean to come across like you're pushing them. I know a lot of people use handwriting without tears and the kids love it.

And while I haven't noticed that kids don't like art/writing as much as kids used to, but I have noticed that a lot of kids don't like to be outside as much as they used to. I've also noticed that some kids have a hard time directing themselves in their own playing. I've had a few children that would literally just sit around or walk around during free play, not even knowing how to make a choice. Both of my recent kids that did that, though, wasn't as much because of electronics, but more so because the parents were very helicopter-y and always played with their kids and told them what and how to do things.
Yes...the outside thing......every year the kids are more and more afraid of bugs. Every year the kids are more and more afraid of bugs. another thing, every summer I have a mud day. A few years ago the kids were almost swimming in the mud. They were muddy from head to toe and had a blast. Every year it seems like they are more and more reluctant. The kids I had this year we're not around for last year's mud day. I showed them pictures and they were downright horrified and some said they don't want to come on that day! It just makes me so sad that kid so disconnected from outdoors and nature.
Ariana 09:48 AM 03-04-2016
Yes...the outside thing......every year the kids are more and more afraid of bugs. Every year the kids are more and more afraid of bugs. another thing, every summer I have a mud day. A few years ago the kids were almost swimming in the mud. They were muddy from head to toe and had a blast. Every year it seems like they are more and more reluctant. The kids I had this year we're not around for last year's mud day. I showed them pictures and they were downright horrified and some said they don't want to come on that day! It just makes me so sad that kid so disconnected from outdoors and nature.
It's because they have a negative association with it because their parents yell at them to not get dirty. I see it soooo much nowadays. Honestly the poor kids these days do everything under strict scrutiny of their parents. Do this, not that, stop it, play with this. I went camping with a friend and she was constantly telling her son what to do. "Go get a leaf for that bug, not that leaf, this leaf. Now cover it like a bed...thats right. Good job bud" meanwhile my daughter was running around shirtless with a stick and she was full of mud!

I took my kids down to the creek last summer and there was a lot of mud. My husband couldn't stand it!! He was so beside himself because they were getting full of mud. I had to explain why this was so important for them. I already felt guilty that they had to be with their parents instead of exploring on their own like I did as a kid so I sure wasn't going to stop them from playing and getting dirty for his sake!
MissAnn 11:02 AM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
It's because they have a negative association with it because their parents yell at them to not get dirty. I see it soooo much nowadays. Honestly the poor kids these days do everything under strict scrutiny of their parents. Do this, not that, stop it, play with this. I went camping with a friend and she was constantly telling her son what to do. "Go get a leaf for that bug, not that leaf, this leaf. Now cover it like a bed...thats right. Good job bud" meanwhile my daughter was running around shirtless with a stick and she was full of mud!

I took my kids down to the creek last summer and there was a lot of mud. My husband couldn't stand it!! He was so beside himself because they were getting full of mud. I had to explain why this was so important for them. I already felt guilty that they had to be with their parents instead of exploring on their own like I did as a kid so I sure wasn't going to stop them from playing and getting dirty for his sake!
It's too hot!
It's too cold!

I hear it from the parents.....apparently it has to be a perfect temp to enjoy nature.
Unregistered 05:45 PM 03-04-2016
In all due respect MissAnn, who the heck wants to clean their child up after a day of being in mudd? I'm surprised that is ok with child care regulations in your area.
The number one thing we are to be is "safe", and that includes everything that come into play with whatever activity we chose to allow the children in out care to particapate in. Not what we participated in during our childhood.
Your heart is in the right place...your job description is not.
MissAnn 07:14 PM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In all due respect MissAnn, who the heck wants to clean their child up after a day of being in mudd? I'm surprised that is ok with child care regulations in your area.
The number one thing we are to be is "safe", and that includes everything that come into play with whatever activity we chose to allow the children in out care to particapate in. Not what we participated in during our childhood.
Your heart is in the right place...your job description is not.
Although unregistered I am sure you are a pot stirrer....in case you're not I thought I would assure you all is fine. I had a picture of my mud day put into a DHS magazine and my DHS lady asked to attend my next mud day. Getting in touch with nature.....even mud....is very much encouraged.
Josiegirl 03:20 AM 03-05-2016
Although unregistered I am sure you are a pot stirrer....in case you're not I thought I would assure you all is fine. I had a picture of my mud day put into a DHS magazine and my DHS lady asked to attend my next mud day. Getting in touch with nature.....even mud....is very much encouraged.
100# agree!!! Dig holes, move rocks, play in the mud and serve your mud pancakes to all your friends, pick wild flowers, watch bugs and touch but be respectful and careful, make campfires and pretend to roast marshmallows with sticks, get downright dirty, muddy, wet, you name it.
But then you've got the other camp that says don't touch the bugs at all, keep your clothes clean, and omg if you build with sticks someone will surely get their eyes poked out!
It's all about teaching respect, caution, wearing old clothes and constant supervision and COMMON SENSE. What better way to teach about nature than getting right into it?? Some things you just cannot learn from books.
Josiegirl 03:28 AM 03-05-2016
Oops forgot to reply to the original thoughts. IF children show an interest I pursue it. Usually at around 4ish. But it's always in a casual fun way. If we're playing outside I'll take sticks and make a letter, or draw one in the sand. If we're playing inside I find ways to do the same with materials we're playing with. I'm not a teacher. If they want to learn then great, we'll find ways to do it with fun and play at the same times so they'll start to recognize. If they ask, I'll give them markers and help. I'm here as an introduction, let's make circles, let's make lines, look you can make a balloon by putting those 2 together. Three straight lines make an A and that starts your name.
childcaremom 04:36 AM 03-05-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Oops forgot to reply to the original thoughts. IF children show an interest I pursue it. Usually at around 4ish. But it's always in a casual fun way. If we're playing outside I'll take sticks and make a letter, or draw one in the sand. If we're playing inside I find ways to do the same with materials we're playing with. I'm not a teacher. If they want to learn then great, we'll find ways to do it with fun and play at the same times so they'll start to recognize. If they ask, I'll give them markers and help. I'm here as an introduction, let's make circles, let's make lines, look you can make a balloon by putting those 2 together. Three straight lines make an A and that starts your name.
This is my philosophy, as well.
Tags:forms, milestones
Reply Up